An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Will Be Restricting Access To Vocation Station

dUSt

AccountDeleted

I think it woild be very sad if this became an area for those only well-known to Phatmass - was the abuse from new members? Also,how would new members join the newly restricted group?

I think you are missing the point here Anselm. Perhaps you should read dUSt's OP again? This has nothing to do with new members or old members or restricted 'groups'. He simply stated that it 'might' be necessary to restrict someone from posting on VS (not ALL of phatmass) if they could not do so in a way that reflects the nature of this particular phorum. It isn't a blanket statement about new people or old people or groups at all.

And even if someone were restricted from being able to post in VS - they could still post in other parts of phatmass.

HopefulBride

I am glad to read this.  I remember when I first joined PM VS was restricted in that you had to have a certain number of posts under your belt before you could post. In addition, I could always count on those who frequent VS to be respectful and charitable.  The VS I observe now is not the same VS that was so helpful in my discernment journey.

Thanks for listening dUSt

As the resident non-discerning, non-Christian [hopefully] journeying toward a spiritual goal in life I have found many of the discussions here to be extremely interesting and often uplifting.  For those who do enter religious life, even temporarily, I have great respect, even though the Christian way is very different from the Jewish.

That being said, it's August, it's hot, and there's a certain testiness present; it's not unusual.  dUSt is to be commended for stepping in to remind us that courtesy is never amiss.

The following is an anecdote about a Sage who was an approximate contemporary of Jesus, Rabban Yochanan, said: 

"Go out and discern which is the proper way to which a man should cling"

Rabbi Eliezer said: "A good eye."

Rabbi Yehoshua said: "A good friend."

Rabbi Yossi said: "A good neighbor".

Rabbi Shimon said: "One who considers the outcome of a deed."

Rabbi Elazar said: "A good heart."

Rabbi Yochanan said: "I prefer the words of Rabbi Elazar to the words of all the rest of you, because your words are included in his words".  

[Pirke Avot -- The Ethics of the Fathers -- Chapter 1]

Quite coincidentally, this is the time of year when Jews offer prayers of repentance prior to the High Holy Days, which begin at the beginning of the second week of September this year.  One of the biggies we repent is the sin of loose or slanderous speech.

LOL! I just started re-reading the Chofetz Chaim yesterday. Coincidence? I doubt it...

Anselm you are new. So maybe you are not as familiar with VS culture as older members have experienced it.

The whole point is that mods should NOT have to be tone police. People should be observant of the culture into which they are invited and regulate themselves.

The point is that self-regulation has NOT been happening.

And tone is IMPORTANT. On this very thread there are people who are STILL dismissive of tone. The loss of our wonderful culture in VS,  is a result of this lack of consideration for tone --- a tone long term members have treasured FOR YEARS.

It is one thing when people step into a community, make a cultural sanfu, and when realizing their mistake correct their behavior.

It is another thing when someone is told they are violating community norms and they dismiss the concerns as silly or meaningless. 

I think it would be very beneficial for some posters to have a posting hiatus from VS, and have a chance to observe the community here silently, learn the culture and what it is expected behavior here.

Edited by Lilllabettt

HopefulBride

Anselm you are new. So maybe you are not as familiar with VS culture as older members have experienced it.

The whole point is that mods should NOT have to be tone police. People should be observant of the culture into which they are invited and regulate themselves.

The point is that self-regulation has NOT been happening.

And tone is IMPORTANT. On this very thread there are people who are STILL dismissive of tone. The loss of our wonderful culture in VS,  is a result of this lack of consideration for tone --- a tone long term members have treasured FOR YEARS.

It is one thing when people step into a community, make a cultural sanfu, and when realizing their mistake correct their behavior.

It is another thing when someone is told they are violating community norms and they dismiss the concerns as silly or meaningless. 

I think it would be very beneficial for some posters to have a posting hiatus from VS, and have a chance to observe the community here silently, learn the culture and what it is expected behavior here.

So yeah, I totally said Amen to that last sentence.

Oh. My. Gosh. What have I missed?!?!?! Is this about the BC threads? Someone please link me to the problematic posts. I've been moving and going through orientation and otherwise down a hole for the last three weeks!

AccountDeleted

Oh. My. Gosh. What have I missed?!?!?! Is this about the BC threads? Someone please link me to the problematic posts. I've been moving and going through orientation and otherwise down a hole for the last three weeks!

This is not a single thread problem. As Lilllabettt said, it is about culture here at VS - and respecting each other. Some people are having problems understanding not only the culture in this phorum, but they also refuse to listen when they receive advice about their behavior and how to make things better.

The only solution may be to restrict access to VS for those who can't or won't or don't want to see how they affect others and who continue to behave in ways that disturb the environment that we have nurtured and cherished for years here in VS.

See the threads on consecrated virginity, marriage being a lesser vocation than religious life, and related topics (or other topics with related posters). I hadn't been reading those, but I've done a lot of catching up this evening. 

abrideofChrist

Anselm, I'll PM you...  one of the hostile posters posted about her stalking behavior to make a point in one of the threads.  I was surprised she wasn't suspended.

Anselm, I'll PM you...  one of the hostile posters posted about her stalking behavior to make a point in one of the threads.  I was surprised she wasn't suspended.

maybe you should take some time to consider why that is.

abrideofChrist

I did consider it.  I thought perhaps the mods didn't read the reported posts by that person.  I also thought that if they did read it, they may have warned her privately.  Lately, I have wondered because of the post with the personal attack about Nunsense being edited by a mod at her request, whether some people have more pull than others in having offensive posts removed.  Some people asked for certain threads to be moved to the Debate Table if it were too combative.  That didn't happen.  I don't pretend to know the inner workings of the mods' world, but I can and do speculate as to the apparent non-action of the mods and then drastic action proposed out of the blue on the part of dUSt.  One reason I asked for greater clarification and perhaps a few more rules is that when something goes out of hand, like several posters coming in from nowhere after 17 pages of a thread only to police tone without contributing anything positive themselves, a mod or someone else can point to a rule that says that the posts should stick to the topic.  That way you don't have several posts cluttering up threads criticizing the motives, intentions, or virtues of a person.

dUSt is not a rash sort of guy. first mistake.  thinking this is coming out of the blue - 2nd mistake. come on now. we've have had more than enough of this kind of thing.

AccountDeleted

I did consider it.  I thought perhaps the mods didn't read the reported posts by that person.  I also thought that if they did read it, they may have warned her privately.  Lately, I have wondered because of the post with the personal attack about Nunsense being edited by a mod at her request, whether some people have more pull than others in having offensive posts removed.  Some people asked for certain threads to be moved to the Debate Table if it were too combative.  That didn't happen.  I don't pretend to know the inner workings of the mods' world, but I can and do speculate as to the apparent non-action of the mods and then drastic action proposed out of the blue on the part of dUSt.  One reason I asked for greater clarification and perhaps a few more rules is that when something goes out of hand, like several posters coming in from nowhere after 17 pages of a thread only to police tone without contributing anything positive themselves, a mod or someone else can point to a rule that says that the posts should stick to the topic.  That way you don't have several posts cluttering up threads criticizing the motives, intentions, or virtues of a person.

Criticizing dUSt on a thread is not the way to go around here. We are blessed that he started phatmass and that he continues to maintain it year after year. If you have something critical to say about the mods or dUSt, please take it to them privately. This is not your personal forum and honestly, your aggression and personal attacks (yes, you used my name in your post above) have gone beyond what is appropriate for a place where Christian charity and humility are expected. If you aren't happy in VS, there is no need for you to post here.

Edited by nunsense

abrideofChrist

I didn't say dUSt was being rash.  His second post in his thread shows that.  What is out of the blue is action being taken.  Nothing more, nothing less.  I respect dUSt for his being forthright and also his willingness to listen to others for input.  This is a very positive trait in a person who is running something.  It makes for a better run community when those in charge don't make an important decision without consulting those who will be affected. Several people have spoken their minds on this thread, which is a good thing.  Some have IMd him.  This is a good thing.  It gives him an idea of what people are thinking and how they operate.  Perhaps what they say will be something he hasn't considered.  Others may write on a more predictable pattern.  Again, the important thing here is that he didn't just make some sweeping changes and announce them.

abrideofChrist

I used your name, Nunsense, because in the thread called Nunsense Update, someone must have attacked you personally.  You reported it, and the post was edited and the thread closed by a mod:

Posted Yesterday, 07:30 AM

Edited by moderator: Personal attack, something which is becoming all too common on Vocation Station as compared to every other board on Phatmass combined. - BG

How sweet you are to leap to my defense.

I have reported the personal attack to the mods and asked that the post above yours be deleted and that this thread be closed. To try to defend myself against personal attacks and slurs, it would be necessary for me to say things about others that would not seem kind or charitable and I don't want to do this.

I do hope that no one else feels it necessary to respond to the comment that was made about me. It is much better not to give this person the satisfaction of having their comment acknowledged. Sadly, Vocation Station is becoming more and more an uncomfortable place to be. Prayers for all who feel they must put down others.

I was not attacking you, I was just saying that a mod did respond to your report of a personal attack.