An Old School Catholic Message Board

Strike On Syria?

CrossCuT

Yes there are other extremist groups other than just al qaeda, and sure I suppose there are some that are not. The problem is that many are extremist and we should not give them aid and comfort. That use to be called treason.

Most of the rebel groups are not extremists.

*hint* Just because they're Muslims doesn't mean they're in Al Quaeda *hint*

**hint hint** Wearer not giving aid to everybody who is fighting in Syria **hint hint** Edited by Hasan

CatholicsAreKewl

Btw, did we all forget about the American journalists who the Syrian regime kidnapped not so long ago? Why hasn't Obama brought this up recently? 

I have nothing against extremist.

Seriously.

In Catholicism, we call our extremists - <saints>.

And they don't blow up people.

The subject matter of the extremist is the problem, not the extreme itself.

CatholicsAreKewl

I have nothing against extremist.

Seriously.

In Catholicism, we call our extremists - <saints>.

And they don't blow up people.

The subject matter of the extremist is the problem, not the extreme itself.

Is this a common way of defining extremist? For Catholics, I thought it at least meant the person was scrupulous.

Is this a common way of defining extremist? For Catholics, I thought it at least meant the person was scrupulous.

There are many forms of extremist.  One of my favorites: vegetarians.  They don't eat meat, yet the entire human body made to eat meat...  I would say its extreme, but the worst they do is through carrots at you if you step on their produce.

The subject matter of the muslim extreme leads them to fight for islam against non-believers; that is the tenant muslims ignore each in turn for their own reasons; however, at the core authority, the quoran, it is very clear that those outside islams have three options; conversion, submit, death; pease loving muslims argue thuis is not the main stream (I have my doubts), or simple minorities, uphold these parts of islam, ehen technically speaking is one is islmaic they must ignore the high authoritive commands within their regilion which cannot be followed and while remaining islamist.  As such, 'peasceful' essentially ignore much of the Koran commends, and in a sense, are not really Islamic anymore.

CatholicsAreKewl

There are many forms of extremist.  One of my favorites: vegetarians.  They don't eat meat, yet the entire human body made to eat meat...  I would say its extreme, but the worst they do is through carrots at you if you step on their produce.

This is untrue. Vegetarians can be extremists. Just look at the Animal Liberation Front. 

The subject matter of the muslim extreme leads them to fight for islam against non-believers; that is the tenant muslims ignore each in turn for their own reasons; however, at the core authority, the quoran, it is very clear that those outside islams have three options; conversion, submit, death; pease loving muslims argue thuis is not the main stream (I have my doubts), or simple minorities, uphold these parts of islam, ehen technically speaking is one is islmaic they must ignore the high authoritive commands within their regilion which cannot be followed and while remaining islamist.  As such, 'peasceful' essentially ignore much of the Koran commends, and in a sense, are not really Islamic anymore.

It depends on who you ask. There are peaceful explanations for the verses that make sense. I would guess that the majority of religious Sunnis would believe that Christians and Jews had to pay a tax if they were to live under a government upholding sharia law. The killing and conversion sentiment is preserved for the kufar, or infidels. But who make up the "kufar" is debated, as is which religious groups constitute the protected ahl al-kitaab (people of the book). While Jews and Christians are usually in the ahl al-kitaab category, some Muslims hold that modern day Christians are kufar because of their belief in the Trinity (making them polytheists). Then there are those who even consider Hindus to be ahl al-kitaab (people of the book). BORING.

There isn't a universally accepted interpretation of the Qur'an. It's hard to say whether it's peaceful or not. The modernist explanations I've heard for the seemingly violent verses in the Qur'an are convincing enough. The bigger problem comes from the hadiths and the traditional jurists. 

Edited by CatholicsAreKewl

Extremists in what sense?

as opposed to so-called "moderates"... it's not something we can be certain about the numbers on, but that lady and her organization were responsible for making people think that the "majority" were moderates, but we know that large numbers of foreign fighters have come in, many groups tied to Al Quaida have come in, and even the Free Syria Army, which is supposedly controlled by moderates, makes statements that should make us second guess supporting it.  when I'm using the word "extremists" I'm generally talking about terrorists, the people who want to engage in ethnic cleansing campaigns against Alawites and Christians, etc.  ie anyone that we really shouldn't be supporting, the kinds of people we should consider a worse option than Assad for who is in charge of Syria.

anyway, right now I'd like the Assad regime to win the battle for that Christian village the terrorist rebels have overtaken.  

. . . anyway, right now I'd like the Assad regime to win the battle for that Christian village the terrorist rebels have overtaken.  

I agree. The reports I am seeing on the BBC indicate that the Jihadists who captured the town have been killing Christians and desecrating the Churches in that historic village. The Melkite Catholic Patriarch has called on the United States government to stop supporting the terrorists.

I agree. The reports I am seeing on the BBC indicate that the Jihadists who captured the town have been killing Christians and desecrating the Churches in that historic village. The Melkite Catholic Patriarch has called on the United States government to stop supporting the terrorists.

Since when has the US been supporting terrorists in Syria?

Since when has the US been supporting terrorists in Syria?

Since it is giving arms to the rebels, and you may choose to think that American arms only go to those who are kind and forgiving, but I believe that they are being passed around within the rebel groups indiscriminately. Evidently the Melkite Catholic Patriarch also believes that this is happening and he is on the ground in Syria. Are you?

It is sad, when you think about it, that a Christian hierarch has to ask a Nobel Peace Prize winner to stop fomenting war.

Right, Obama is the big driver in this war.  Not Assad or Russia, his largest arms dealer.