An Old School Catholic Message Board

Strike On Syria?

CrossCuT

Your brothers taking the risk isn't you taking the risk.

Not from a military family huh. You need to speak with a gold star mother. She can update you on the risk she herself took when her son or daughter joined the military.

Popular will isn't in the constitution (and it's a constitution, not a contract)?  So what are those things where people vote to fill offices with people who are in charge with crafting laws?

Most people like the most of the government programs that have been enacted since the new deal.  That's why FDR was elected four times.  

Popular will does not grant more powers to the Federal government. The DEA would remain a criminal organization even if most people approved of it, for instance. You want a national government, get the Constitution changed. There's procedures for that. You want an autocrat who can conduct "not-wars" without congressional approval? Get the Constitution changed. The United States have a written document that delegates a few enumerated powers to the Federal government. It's been tradition to violate that, I know.

Then you should support making participation voluntary. Surely we malcontents will be won over by the wonders of slaughtering livestock, plowing under crops, granting monopoly privileges to favored entities, and throwing Japanese people in concentrations camps.

KnightofChrist

Your brothers taking the risk isn't you taking the risk. Of course, I don't look at this with some national identity lens, so it's no surprise we see it differently.

Risk is shared in a family. There is a risk to her because of the risk her brothers take. It's not as direct but she's right when she says she has plenty on the line. I don't agree with her stance on a strike but yeah she does have a lot on the line.

Not from a military family huh. You need to speak with a gold star mother. She can update you on the risk she herself took when her son or daughter joined the military.

I agree.

Having a loved one in the military isnt just a one person involvement, The whole family is now involved. 

My dad lost his older brother in Vietnam and I can tell you that for the rest of his life my dad will have a connection to that time period whether he likes it or not. He knows nearly everything one can know about that war and he is especially familiar with the pain of loss that it can bring.

I didn't know you were a mom.

Popular will does not grant more powers to the Federal government. The DEA would remain a criminal organization even if most people approved of it, for instance. You want a national government, get the Constitution changed. There's procedures for that. You want an autocrat who can conduct "not-wars" without congressional approval? Get the Constitution changed. The United States have a written document that delegates a few enumerated powers to the Federal government. It's been tradition to violate that, I know.

Then you should support making participation voluntary. Surely we malcontents will be won over by the wonders of slaughtering livestock, plowing under crops, granting monopoly privileges to favored entities, and throwing Japanese people in concentrations camps.

Participation is voluntary. You don't have to live here. Unless you are Native American, your family decided to come here and live under this legal system. But saying that you should be allowed to be a free rider, not paying taxes while enjoying the benefits that come from the American war machine and corporate capitalism, is just silly.

And the Constitution has been changed. You just don't like the fact that most people like all those changes that you don't like. I understand. I don't like that our political system is center right.

I didn't know you were a mom.

1. no i'm not, and for medical reasons never can be.

2. if the gold star moms freak you out you can talk to these people https://www.facebook.com/TheGoldStarSiblings/

same general idea, but I guess you needed a reference more specific to moi?

Edited by Lilllabettt

Risk is shared in a family. There is a risk to her because of the risk her brothers take. It's not as direct but she's right when she says she has plenty on the line. I don't agree with her stance on a strike but yeah she does have a lot on the line.

Do I both you when you're at work?

1. no i'm not, and for medical reasons never can be.

2. if the gold star moms freak you out you can talk to these people https://www.facebook.com/TheGoldStarSiblings/

same general idea, but I guess you needed a reference more specific to moi?

1. Well then my snark there is offsides. Sorry about that.

2. I'm not freaked out in the slightest. 

The Federal government was never delegated world vigilante powers. I have no problem with vigilantism. I think it would be morally acceptable to aid an aggrieved party using force of arms. The Federal government lacks such powers. And no, treaties are not a higher law than the Constitution. Lots of soldiers would happily go kill bad guys in other countries. I think that's fine. Except again, that's not within the powers delegated to the Federal government. So if people want to volunteer to attack the bad guys in the Syrian government or the bad guys within the rebels, I say more power to them. Hell, with enough information I might even donate to the cause.

Participation is voluntary. You don't have to live here. Unless you are Native American, your family decided to come here and live under this legal system. But saying that you should be allowed to be a free rider, not paying taxes while enjoying the benefits that come from the American war machine and corporate capitalism, is just silly.

And the Constitution has been changed. You just don't like the fact that most people like all those changes that you don't like. I understand. I don't like that our political system is center right.

You should read Spooner. The system was never voluntarily instituted. No one ever claimed it was. A subset of the populace was consulted, and the rest were told how the cow would eat the cabbage. Of course, the claims made about a limited government were clearly a lie.

Yes. I'm aware that there are amendments since its initial ratification. Those are the only changes that fit within the terms.

Delegated power: Making it illegal to own parts of the Moon, and using military tactics to retrieve them from old women: http://www.policestateusa.com/2013/why-does-nasa-need-a-swat-team-to-steal-moon-dust-from-retirees/

And don't forget: If you're within 100 miles of the border, the 4th amendment doesn't apply. It's in one of the elastic clauses.

Edited by Winchester

Delegated power: Making it illegal to own parts of the Moon, and using military tactics to retrieve them from old women: http://www.policestateusa.com/2013/why-does-nasa-need-a-swat-team-to-steal-moon-dust-from-retirees/

Within your ideological framework, what is wrong with this? An association of individuals, acting towards a common end, acquired property. Somebody seemingly took that property and they used violence to protect their property from a thief. Seems completely legit to me.