An Old School Catholic Message Board

Older Vocations?

inunionwithrome

I fall into this category, but am way!! over 35.  Have lurked on VS for awhile because discerning is something I'm struggling with.  I have come back to the church after about 30 years (was Episcopalian in the meanwhile) and sometimes get depressed that I have missed the boat on a vocation. 

I fall into this category, but am way!! over 35.  Have lurked on VS for awhile because discerning is something I'm struggling with.  I have come back to the church after about 30 years (was Episcopalian in the meanwhile) and sometimes get depressed that I have missed the boat on a vocation. 

Not that I want to push you, but if you ever need help looking for a community, let me know.  I posted it above but I'll post it again.  I made this website to help older vocations find a community that will accept them in spite of their age.  It's my baby and I hope it helps others.  God bless!  ;)

http://belatedvocations.weebly.com/

Not that I want to push you, but if you ever need help looking for a community, let me know.  I posted it above but I'll post it again.  I made this website to help older vocations find a community that will accept them in spite of their age.  It's my baby and I hope it helps others.  God bless!  ;)

http://belatedvocations.weebly.com/

Thank you! I will look at your site.  

AccountDeleted

Thank you! I will look at your site.  

And if you just need to chat about being older and discerning, feel free to PM me. I am an older discerner myself and as MM says, no one wants to push you, but also there's no reason to give up just because of your age. God doesn't look at things the same way we do :)

I have them on my list.  They are beautiful Sisters.  ;)

They are beautiful sisters.  I visited their convent this past summer and hopefully will be going back for a longer visit this fall.  They have the traditional Latin mass exclusively and although they are an active community, they are really very contemplative.  They have a young novice who is very sweet and they are in a very beautiful rural location in the Northeast.  It is so quiet there!

They are beautiful sisters.  I visited their convent this past summer and hopefully will be going back for a longer visit this fall.  They have the traditional Latin mass exclusively and although they are an active community, they are really very contemplative.  They have a young novice who is very sweet and they are in a very beautiful rural location in the Northeast.  It is so quiet there!

Her clothing pictures were beautiful!  I hope you have a lovely visit with them this fall.  Sounds wonderful!  :)

This. 

Mega- props. Please, if the good Sisters allow, post details about your visit. I, for one, would love to hear all about it.

Prayers.

:)

Sr Mary Catharine OP

The Sisters also go to Mass next door at the Abbey which has Mass in Latin and English, Novus Ordo.

It's really beautiful in the Fall. You should make a point of going down to visit Guadalupe Chapel. It's worth the hike and it's a lot easier now that there is a real path!

BTW, you might hear coyotes at night. Don't worry! It's a little scary at first but you get used to it!

Have a good visit. Maybe you'll be there for the grape harvest! Oh, the memories!

This. 

Mega- props. Please, if the good Sisters allow, post details about your visit. I, for one, would love to hear all about it.

Prayers.

:)

I would definitely, but I'm still not sure if I will go or not.

Edited by inperpetuity

Her clothing pictures were beautiful!  I hope you have a lovely visit with them this fall.  Sounds wonderful!  :)

Thanks, Mater, but I don't know if this is going to materialize yet or not.

The Sisters also go to Mass next door at the Abbey which has Mass in Latin and English, Novus Ordo.

It's really beautiful in the Fall. You should make a point of going down to visit Guadalupe Chapel. It's worth the hike and it's a lot easier now that there is a real path!

BTW, you might hear coyotes at night. Don't worry! It's a little scary at first but you get used to it!

Have a good visit. Maybe you'll be there for the grape harvest! Oh, the memories!

From what they tell me, they are in the midst of their grape harvest!

• 3 weeks later...
inperpetuity

Ok, I'm going to visit them next month for a week!  I talked to the superior today and she is so sweet.  She told me to go visit the Carmelites first though!  I will post my experience here and pm you LN with details if you want. :smile2:

Catherine Therese

The community to which I used to belong don't make a FREQUENT practice of it, but they do occasionally accept older sisters. I was considered a 'late vocation' and I entered 6 weeks before my 30th birthday. Having said that, there were about 5 or 6 sisters in the novitiate who were older than me, accepted over a 5 year period. I believe the oldest was 38.

My community was an active/contemplative congregation in the US. If you're interested, PM me and I'll let you know who they are! :)