An Old School Catholic Message Board

Santa Claus

blazeingstar

I feel like it has a lot to do with your intentions Blazey. Does that make sense?

Not according to most theology on lying.  The only ones that are dependant on intent are ones of omission and necessity.

Not according to most theology on lying.  The only ones that are dependant on intent are ones of omission and necessity.

Well hmm...Im trying to think of a good example and maybe this is a bit on the heavy side but take the commandment "Thou Shalt  not Kill" for instance. 

I had an apologetics teacher in high school say that he wishes it was "Thou shalt not murder" because it is permissible to "kill" in certain cases like self defense. Of course someone still ends up dead in this scenario, however the intention is completely different thus not making it as serious

Not according to most theology on lying. The only ones that are dependant on intent are ones of omission and necessity.

What does thelogy say about being hurtful and throwing out personal attscks like you did tpward FP? Is that ok since thats what you did?

CatholicsAreKewl

Well hmm...Im trying to think of a good example and maybe this is a bit on the heavy side but take the commandment "Thou Shalt  not Kill" for instance. 

I had an apologetics teacher in high school say that he wishes it was "Thou shalt not murder" because it is permissible to "kill" in certain cases like self defense. Of course someone still ends up dead in this scenario, however the intention is completely different thus not making it as serious

wait, isn't it actually "thou shall not murder"? I thought "thou shall not kill" was crummy translation.

Its not really intent so much as a bad translation.  They had words that meant "to kill in defense" and "to kill reclessly" but we don't.

However, lying is pretty cut and dry...something is either the truth or isn't the truth.  I'd say lies of omission/necessity where a truth is given but the full truth is protected are more like killing in self defense whereas everything else is murder.  To discuss culpibity is another matter, like the handicapped man in the movie "Slingblade" who kills without understanding what murder is.  He just wants them to stop doing something bad.  In a similar way a full blown lie is still a sin but the culpability may be reduced or not at all

CatholicsAreKewl

Look at you and your little club all propping eachother out of existance

And I think it's lying.  To each their own.

And I feel like you needed more hugs from your dad.  I don't think you were particularly bright becuase you figured out this at all of ten, my fiancee figured it out clearly at 6.  He does not feel lied to, and said he enjoyed he is also admiant we will not lie to our children in any form.  He grew up with the ideal childhood and he wants to raise our children like his parents raised him, ecept for Santa.  His family was also much too into haloween for my tastes, but I told him that if he wants to decorate the yard he can do that on his own.  I like dogs and I know the dog will be my dog and he will not do anything for it.  It's a balance.

To me play answering the phone is a lie.  I do not see it as fantacy. I see batman and pokemon and dress up as fantacy but not answering a phone that is clearly not ringing or drinking from a teacup that has no liquid as fantacy.

Of those who tell their children about Santa I think most of them try and create true believers.  I'm not talking about those who don't have Santa like Moslems, Hindus and Jews.

Lol! I remember listening to atheists argue about this. Both sides make decent points. I'm going to lie to my children about everything.

What does thelogy say about being hurtful and throwing out personal attscks like you did tpward FP? Is that ok since thats what you did?

I don't feel anything I said was attacking him.  I did tell him some truths, however.

Personal attack?  Wow.  I would be banned for even repeating some of the real personal attacks I've seen and received on other boards.  That was nuthin.

Its not really intent so much as a bad translation.  They had words that meant "to kill in defense" and "to kill reclessly" but we don't.

However, lying is pretty cut and dry...something is either the truth or isn't the truth.  I'd say lies of omission/necessity where a truth is given but the full truth is protected are more like killing in self defense whereas everything else is murder.  To discuss culpibity is another matter, like the handicapped man in the movie "Slingblade" who kills without understanding what murder is.  He just wants them to stop doing something bad.  In a similar way a full blown lie is still a sin but the culpability may be reduced or not at all

Lying requires the intent to deceive.

Saying something that isn't true isn't an outright lie, otherwise even mistakes we make when passing on information would also be a lie since we are saying something that isn't true. For instance a kid telling her sibling, "mom said we're having chicken for dinner tonight." When actually she said we may have chicken for dinner tonight. Dinner comes around, mom decides to order pizza instead. Did the girl tell her sibling a lie, or was she simply mistaken?

There was no intent to deceive, it was not a lie.

This is a very slippery slope blazeing. Card tricks will become cheating and puppet shows will become lies (the puppets aren't actually talking, but you're making it seem like they are!). Even songs about things that didn't happen will become lies. After all, the song is either true or it is not.

How you separate stories from this I don't know. After all, the story's intent is for you to imagine something that isn't real.

Lying requires the intent to deceive.

Saying something that isn't true isn't an outright lie, otherwise even mistakes we make when passing on information would also be a lie since we are saying something that isn't true. For instance a kid telling her sibling, "mom said we're having chicken for dinner tonight." When actually she said we may have chicken for dinner tonight. Dinner comes around, mom decides to order pizza instead. Did the girl tell her sibling a lie, or was she simply mistaken?

There was no intent to deceive, it was not a lie.

This is a very slippery slope blazeing. Card tricks will become cheating and puppet shows will become lies (the puppets aren't actually talking, but you're making it seem like they are!). Even songs about things that didn't happen will become lies. After all, the song is either true or it is not.

How you separate stories from this I don't know. After all, the story's intent is for you to imagine something that isn't real.

No, not really, being mistaken is not a lie, rather it's a failure of human knowledge wich is vincible vs invincible.  If said child has a habit of being misinformed, that would indeed make her a liar even if it was a series of mistakes beucase she remains ignorant.

I don't feel anything I said was attacking him. I did tell him some truths, however.

Well if this thread is any indication of you, it seems some sins are ok if they are comitted by you. Insulting someones intellengce is ok as long as its by you. Gotcha

Well if this thread is any indication of you, it seems some sins are ok if they are comitted by you. Insulting someones intellengce is ok as long as its by you. Gotcha

Seriously?  I didn't say anything that he didn't willing walk into.