An Old School Catholic Message Board

Santa Claus

blazeingstar

so lies are ok if its to your benefit, gotcha. 

Not a lie.  Not nearly a lie.

I wonder why she decided to change her user name in the first place  :think:

None of your business.  So long as it's not to circumvent a ban its alowed.  I don't think that I need to have a profile that dates back to 2002ish or even last year.  I have change my profile many times and no mod has ever told me not to do it.

I don't think that I need to have a profile that dates back to 2002ish or even last year.  I have change my profile many times and no mod has ever told me not to do it.

You mean your account? Cause you can change the stuff in your user profile whenever you want. 

CrossCuT
Sent 18 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

So in what way am I acting as a mod. Maybe I'm one of the few undercover mods!!

I don't know the context of that thread, but Crosscut's tone sounds as if she's joking, not being serious. I could be wrong though, but regardless the tone of people can be easily misunderstood when not communicating face to face. Joking around and sarcasm happen a lot on Phatmass.

Edited by tinytherese

To me play answering the phone is a lie.  I do not see it as fantacy. I see batman and pokemon and dress up as fantacy but not answering a phone that is clearly not ringing or drinking from a teacup that has no liquid as fantacy.

Of those who tell their children about Santa I think most of them try and create true believers.  I'm not talking about those who don't have Santa like Moslems, Hindus and Jews.

What is fantasy other than the imagination?

How is answering a phone that is clearly not ringing a lie? What is the lie? That someone is actually on the other line?

How is that different from the fantasy of a caped crusader dressed in a bat costume that glides around a ficticious city fighting crime that doesn't actually exist?

Is it different because one is "more obviously" fake? You said it yourself, the phone is clearly not ringing. If so, then answering it is clearly not real.

Honestly, batman, pokemon, and santa claus are all on about the same page. How is the idea that a magical person who lives at the north pole with elves who make toys year round flies around the entire world landing on the rooftops of 6 billion people, climbing down chimney's that some houses don't even have, delivering presents based on a list of the good and bad things that every single person has done, that this person actually exists any more convincing than the fantasy of a rich person dressing up to fight crime in a bat costume?

I would argue that the only difference is in the intent. Many people intend to make their child believe santa claus is not a fantasy. That is a lie, but those that put santa on the same level as every other ficticious super hero are not intending that their child believe santa exists in reality anymore than the parent that reads a batman comic book is intending their child believe batman exist in reality.

Not a lie.  Not nearly a lie.

None of your business.  So long as it's not to circumvent a ban its alowed.  I don't think that I need to have a profile that dates back to 2002ish or even last year.  I have change my profile many times and no mod has ever told me not to do it.

I agree that your screen name and changing it are not lies in any way and that's a ridiculous argument against you.

And I'm in agreement with you about telling children Santa is real, and did not do that with my own children.

However, I'm not understanding how pretending to talk on the phone is in the same category.  That doesn't seem deceitful at all, and the child is not being tricked.  They understand when you're playing games with them.

I haven't followed this thread from the beginning, and I've only read the last page of posts. But that won't stop me from adding my 2 bits.

It always used to weird me out that parents would teach their children not to lie, but then the same parents would turn around and "lie" to their children about Santa Claus, the Easter bunny, the tooth fairy, and perhaps a few other fictional characters.

But these particular "lies" - or perhaps "fictions" would be a better word - are harmless enough. The Santa Claus fiction, in particular, rewards good behavior, so at least it has a positive goal.

And these fictions also teach children to keep secrets - or perhaps "confidences" would be a better word. Keeping confidences is something all of us will have to do for the rest of our lives, whether we become priests who hear confessions, confidants to our peers, parents ourselves, plan a surprise birthday party for Grandmother, etc. Or perhaps we'll become Phatmassers who want to keep our previous identities hidden.

We don't see it so much these days, but in the old days, families usually had many children. The older children learned to keep the secret (that Mom & Dad are Santa Claus) from their younger sisters & brothers, even after they themselves had learned the truth. And all children, past or present, older in the family or younger, learn not to spill the beans to their classmates, neighbors, or cousins who still believe in Santa Claus. Learning to keep a confidence is important, and this is a simple way to teach it. Also, the older children who know the truth often feel more trusted by their parents when they keep the secret - it sort of helps them bond with their folks.

Then there's the aspect of learning to deal with the sad truth when it finally comes to light - another experience that we will all have throughout life. We've all known at least one kid who couldn't keep the secret and blabbed it to a group of peers, at least one of whom went home in tears to ask Mom if it was true. Or the kid who figured it out on her own and approached her mom for an explanation. You learn what to do when your perception of reality doesn't match what you've been told.

These elements of culture have evolved over not just decades, but centuries. They've evolved for reasons. When you look at them in isolation - like from only the perspective of whether Santa Claus is a lie - you miss some important information. You have to look at these things from multiple perspectives - psychological, interpersonal, sociological, yada yada yada. That's my definition of critical thinking.

PhuturePriest

Look at you and your little club all propping eachother out of existance

And I think it's lying. To each their own.

And I feel like you needed more hugs from your dad. I don't think you were particularly bright becuase you figured out this at all of ten, my fiancee figured it out clearly at 6. He does not feel lied to, and said he enjoyed he is also admiant we will not lie to our children in any form. He grew up with the ideal childhood and he wants to raise our children like his parents raised him, ecept for Santa. His family was also much too into haloween for my tastes, but I told him that if he wants to decorate the yard he can do that on his own. I like dogs and I know the dog will be my dog and he will not do anything for it. It's a balance.

To me play answering the phone is a lie. I do not see it as fantacy. I see batman and pokemon and dress up as fantacy but not answering a phone that is clearly not ringing or drinking from a teacup that has no liquid as fantacy.

Of those who tell their children about Santa I think most of them try and create true believers. I'm not talking about those who don't have Santa like Moslems, Hindus and Jews.

Now we've resorted to personal attacks? My, my, how unkind. If you have the incredible off-the-charts intelligence you have claimed to possess several times, however, you would note I explain I started doubting years before I was ten and did not believe. The nonexistence of Santa was just discussed around me when I was ten. Even if I did, however, Saint Therese believed in Father Christmas until she was fourteen. I suppose she wasn't very bright, either?

You are incredibly hasty and defensive and are resorting to personal attacks. I am sorry if I have struck any nerves, but there is never an excuse to be unkind. I learned this the hard way when I first came on here. People would drill me relentlessly about my statements, and I would be calm for a page or two, but I would then lash out. I figured this was not only justified, but a right. I learned this was not so and mellowed out. I hope you do the same, and wish you all the best.

Now we've resorted to personal attacks? My, my, how unkind. If you have the incredible off-the-charts intelligence you have claimed to possess several times, however, you would note I explain I started doubting years before I was ten and did not believe. The nonexistence of Santa was just discussed around me when I was ten. Even if I did, however, Saint Therese believed in Father Christmas until she was fourteen. I suppose she wasn't very bright, either?

You are incredibly hasty and defensive and are resorting to personal attacks. I am sorry if I have struck any nerves, but there is never an excuse to be unkind. I learned this the hard way when I first came on here. People would drill me relentlessly about my statements, and I would be calm for a page or two, but I would then lash out. I figured this was not only justified, but a right. I learned this was not so and mellowed out. I hope you do the same, and wish you all the best.

I know how phatmass works, I was on here while you still believed in santa

Basilisa Marie

Seems like people have been generally nice, considering they've mostly been accused of sinning and promoting sin.  :spike:

PhuturePriest

Seems like people have been generally nice, considering they've mostly been accused of sinning and promoting sin.  :spike:

good-job-team-we-rock.jpg

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Seriously?  Not lying to your children about Santa and not wanting to play with a child in such a way that you lie to them is somehow implying that one of the theological greats is wrong?  You all are on some kind of pixie dust.

On the whole pixie dust thing(and i really don't like pixie dust either including most of hollywood and t.v. series.) Some are some aren't and some don't know whether they are or aren't. Pray for those you think are daily and those that are perhaps lost, perhaps just pray that God blesses them and his will be done in there life than an our father and add a hail mary and a glory be if your a champion, or pray in the spirit for whatever but the holy catholic church recommends, but doesn't order that an our father be said after such freestyle prayer. But most importantly don't give up on prayer. :)

Onward christian souls.

Jesus is LORD.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Perhaps I am mistaken, but didn't you use to go by another screen name and you will not say who you were? I normally don't mind people having multiple ones, but I'm not a mod here. However if you are going to go about calling people "liars", multiple times now, even if I am mistaken and you're new here perhaps you should check your own eyes for splinters, logs, or tree houses before handing down personal judgements of other people. If I am not mistaken does that lie of omission make you a liar?

Did blazing star say you all lie or did he or she imply that santa is a lie, and that he or she chooses not to lie, EVER!. Haven't checked you profile yet Blazing but had to say this quickly before you all start stoning each other. But also i don't think santa is a lie anymore than i think the christmas tree is a lie, but also we do need to be careful with the whole santa claus thing and not allow our children to focus more on santa than the baby Jesus. There are various stories of where santa claus comes from, theres a few st nicholas' and than there is the charitable cobbler which i already mentioned, and if you missed it search the pages for my posts and you will find it. I haven't posted that much on this thread so it shouldn't be hard to find. Hopefully that all helps somewhat.

Onward christian souls.

Jesus is LORD.

P.s. i may have to pray for you all again, ye be warned and i may not ask for mercy, perhaps justice with a hint of mercy?. Or perhaps Mercy with a hint of justice? Or perhaps half half i don't know.   :P  Settle down please we are brothers and sisters in christ jesus. :)

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Isn't lying a sin?