An Old School Catholic Message Board

Countdown To Entering Carmel

VeniJesuAmorMi

VeniJesuAmorMi

Thank you all who have posted promises of prayers and encouragement, your intentions are remembered while I pray the Rosary. I've been so excited and thankful, between my family being together this Christmas and my soon to be entrance that in the midst of all of this anticipation I am praying that I will remain detached from these comforts. Soon enough there will be plenty of comforts to sacrifice for Him. Also with all the noise and activities, as wonderful as this all will be, that everything will lead me to continually raise my mind and heart to Him so that I won't be so distracted. Here is some more about Carmel; the early history which may not be unfamiliar with many here, but great to read about anyways: :)

Mount Carmel the Holy Mountain

"Located in Haifa, Israel this Mountain of God rises out of the edge of the blue Mediterranean sea and was the home of the Old Testament prophet Elijah. Mt. Carmel is a place of prayer and communion with God.

It was the place of seclusion for early Christian monks who lived and prayed in its caves and their that the fathers of the desert spent their lives in contemplation.  These desert monks viewed Elijah as the father of their monasticism as it was Elijah who in the ninth century B.C., defeated the prophets of Baal on the mountain and established the worship of Yahweh, the God of Israel there. In Hebrew CARMEL translates into the word GARDEN. The symbolism of the garden expresses not only the fertile richness of the natural terrain, but also refers to the grace and holiness bestowed upon the many souls who dedicated themselves to God on its mystical summit.  

The desert garden is not only a place of silence, but it also is a place of struggle.  It is in this land of Mount Carmel where we prepare our hearts and minds to listen to the voice of the soul. Persistently we seek Him in prayer. As the deer longs for streams of water, so my soul longs for you, O God.  My being thirsts for God, the living God. When can I go and see the face of God? [Psalm 43 ]"

The order of Carmel ranks among the oldest religious orders.  It is moreover one of the severest orders of the church. The time of the nuns is entirely taken up by prayer study and good works and the life of contemplation. From its earliest days the order of Mary for Carmel is in an especial manner the order of the Queen of Heaven has produced men and women eminent for their sanctity It has always remained dedicated to the Blessed Virgin and glories in wearing her scapular and calling itself her Order."

Edited by VeniJesuAmorMi

Carmel is from the word "kerem" which means vineyard, "gan" is garden.  But the implication is the same.

I tried to link to a photo of the statue of Elijah confronting the priests of Baal that stands in the courtyard of the Greek monastery on the summit of the mountain but Phatmass wouldn't allow it.  Too bad.  Nice photo.

I've been there several times, the place is very impressive.  I've also been to the cave in which Elijah was supposed to have lived; it is visited by many pilgrims.  It's on the outskirts of Haifa.

& here is a nice page with info on Stella Maris Monastery (also OCD Friars) with St. Elijah's cave nearby (about 45 mins from Muhraqa on the other side of Mt. Carmel) that's so neat you visited both Antigonos!!! I've heard the view from Muhraqa is amazing!!! I have found that most pilgrimage groups just visit one or the other, and usually it's Stella Maris, but a few go to both. I'm still hoping to making it over there.... God willing.. we'll see :pray:  If I do I'll surely offer many prayers for you VJAM!

& here is the site on Mount Carmel with the first Carmelite monastery ever! http://www.biblewalks.com/Sites/SiahBrook.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyAVHo8Bc40

I think you mean here! http://www.muhraqa.org/

Yes, that's it. You can go right up onto the roof of the monastery and get a 360 degree view. And, when looking east, across the Huleh Valley, you can wave to my daughter, who lives next door to a village called Rosh Pinna (that means "the cornerstone" from the verse in Psalms: "the stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone") which is only a few kilometers away. (you'd need binoculars to see her <g>) Mt Carmel is really more than a single mountain, but a chain of them, separating the coastal plain from the Jezreel and Huleh Valleys.

Currently, there are only a couple of monks in residence, mostly to man the tourist shop. They rotate every so often from their main monastery which is near Haifa.

I am so happy for you Venijesuamormi!!  I know how excited you must be.  You will be remembered in Prayer.  Thank you for sharing the link about Blessed Josepha Naval Girbes, I love learning about Saints and Blesseds that I am not familiar with.  I hope you have a holy and happy life as a Carmelite.

VeniJesuAmorMi

Thank you Chiquitunga and Antigonos for sharing more about Carmel. What a blessing and what a trip it must be to go visit there. Chiqui, if you do go I would certainly appreciate those prayers! :)

I am so happy for you Venijesuamormi!!  I know how excited you must be.  You will be remembered in Prayer.  Thank you for sharing the link about Blessed Josepha Naval Girbes, I love learning about Saints and Blesseds that I am not familiar with.  I hope you have a holy and happy life as a Carmelite.

Thank you Miserere55! And your welcome for the link. There is always so much to learn about the Saints and Blesseds and when we learn about them we also know that they are another friend in Heaven praying for us; so wonderful!

Edited by VeniJesuAmorMi

VeniJesuAmorMi

I had my second to last volunteer day at the Pregnancy Care Center today and got to spend some time with great friends. They were asking me questions and as we got talking about this vocation I had realized so much more just how profound and beautiful this grace is. I was saying things that although I knew about already but when I talked about them it really struck me. I am just more in awe and thankful for what Our Lord has done and has chosen for me. I couldn't think of anything more to ask for and I couldn't ask for any less. This life is so short and I just want to give Him everything. Sometimes if I get nervous I remember that I am under Our Blessed Mother's protection and I feel so safe. I recall to mind that this is what Our Lord wants, and of course I want it to, and the more I see my weakness and frailty I have the certainty that the more I know my weakness and the more I give myself to Him then the more He is going to take care of me and it just fills me with such a thrill of love that He would do this, and in fact that is what He does want to do and for all of us.

I thought I would share this prayer I pray everyday for intentions that I have on the back of an Our Lady of Mount Carmel prayer card:

A Prayer to The Blessed Virgin

(Never found to fail)

O Most beautiful Flower of Mount Carmel, Fruitful Vine, Splendor of Heaven, Blessed Mother of the Son of God, Immaculate Virgin, assist me in this my necessity. O Star of the sea, help me and show me herein you are my Mother. 

O Holy Mary, Mother of God, Queen of Heaven and Earth, I humbly beseech you from the bottom of my heart, to help me in this necessity; there are none that cane withstand your power.

O show me herein you are my Mother.

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to Thee. (Repeat 3 times.)

Sweet Mother, I place this cause in Your hands. (Repeat 3 times.)

VeniJesuAmorMi

We will miss you, Veni....may our dear Blessed Mother of Mount Carmel wrap you in Her mantle & lead safely home :)

Thank you so kindly BrandelynMarie! :) I have been doing a lot of entrusting to our Blessed Mother. This is always a source of peace and hope for me in being faithful to God's Will.

Here is a quote from Saint Teresa of Avila after her death when she appeared to one of her nuns: "There should be no difference, as far and purity and love are concerned, between the blessed in Heaven and the faithful on earth, though we are perfectly happy and you are suffering. What the Divine Essence is to us in Heaven, the Blessed Sacrament should be to you on earth."

VeniJesuAmorMi

4 weeks from today, 28 days, I will be a postulant in the Buffalo Carmel! At this time as I type this they at recreation (isn't nice to be able to have your community's schedule? :)) Just to think how quickly everything has come together. It was only a few months ago that I continued down the path of uncertainty and now I am preparing to enter. Its as if in a moment He took away all the obstacles to make this happen. I remember praying often when I would wonder how this would all turn out that all He had to do was say the word and the way would be clear to be able to continue my discernment, and it turns out that the desire that has been in my heart to enter Carmel was from Him and so He gave me the grace to persevere through everything and now it is almost time!

Here is a quote from Reverend Mother in Buffalo in an article that was posted in the Western New York Catholic in 2012. It goes along so nicely with the thought I shared, "When you feel a calling, that is a grace from God and you have to correspond with that, you have to cultivate it, you have to develop it. It’s precious, it’s priceless. Don’t let it slip away. Do everything you can to foster that."

VeniJesuAmorMi

There isn't many pictures online, but here is a nice Birdseye view of the Monastery and the grounds. I've been so excited and thankful and I wanted to share where I am going with anyone who is interested, so now you know! :)

http://www.gcatholic.org/churches/northamerica/4051.htm

(you can enlarge the view with the little bar on the side of the picture.)

brandelynmarie

Eep, I thought I found footage of them on youtube, but I do believe it was Brooklyn... :blush:

Edited by brandelynmarie