An Old School Catholic Message Board

Countdown To Entering Carmel

VeniJesuAmorMi

Thank you all so dearly for your prayers and kind words. I am happy that I can share my joy with you all! This vocation isn't just for me it is for so many others. This is certainly part of the beauty of this grace.

About the list, it is one of the most simple I have seen or heard of. I had asked Reverend Mother when she had called me if what was on the list that came with the application was all that I needed and she had said everything else will be provided for. Here is the list:

A pair of soft black shoes

Garden boots

Snow boots

Underwear

Black knee-high stockings

Black or brown knee socks

A plain Rosary (brown, black, or white beads.)

All photo identification you may have

Optional to bring a few personal books such as the Holy Bible, the Imitation of Christ, and the works of Our Holy Mother Saint Teresa, Our Holy Father Saint John of the Cross and Saint Therese. It isn't necessary to bring books because they will be provided there but I plan on bringing my Bible. All the items make up my Christmas list and have been given to my parents. I told them I'll act surprised!  :nun:

I meant to comment on this before (like my coloring? :j) ... so cute!  :hehe:

4 weeks from today, 28 days, I will be a postulant in the Buffalo Carmel! At this time as I type this they at recreation (isn't nice to be able to have your community's schedule? :)) Just to think how quickly everything has come together. It was only a few months ago that I continued down the path of uncertainty and now I am preparing to enter. Its as if in a moment He took away all the obstacles to make this happen. I remember praying often when I would wonder how this would all turn out that all He had to do was say the word and the way would be clear to be able to continue my discernment, and it turns out that the desire that has been in my heart to enter Carmel was from Him and so He gave me the grace to persevere through everything and now it is almost time!

Here is a quote from Reverend Mother in Buffalo in an article that was posted in the Western New York Catholic in 2012. It goes along so nicely with the thought I shared, "When you feel a calling, that is a grace from God and you have to correspond with that, you have to cultivate it, you have to develop it. It’s precious, it’s priceless. Don’t let it slip away. Do everything you can to foster that."

So wonderful!!! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgSMhV_yZs4&feature=player_detailpage#t=3964s 

if the timing on this won't work, here's the exact part I was linking to ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgSMhV_yZs4&feature=player_detailpage#t=3964s

Also, good news, your package with this movie is in the mail! :clap: finally!!! (the EWTN version with the better subtitles/not as many mistakes/strange wordings as the new version) I was going to email this, but I'll post it here instead. So the main thing that kept delaying me was that I hoped to get the few holy cards I was going to send with it blessed by a priest, but I kept missing the opportunity. Also I am printing out/making one from a picture from my trip. So then today I suddenly realized it was the last day to send anything for Christmas! Somehow I thought Christmas was Thursday! :topsy: So I got to the Post Office within 5 minutes of it closing! LOL :proud: (there were a few other last minute Christmas senders too) and just sent the movie by itself. The holy cards will come next :) I just really want to get this to you ASAP so you can watch the whole thing before you enter. I imagined I was going to make the packaging really beautiful with Christmas stickers, and a nice little note, etc. but didn't get the chance in the last minute rush. But what's good is that it's coming!!! :nun2: I was going to let this be a surprise, but then I wanted to explain why the holy cards weren't there with it. So hopefully... God willing, it will be there for Christmas! Ttyl for now! God bless!

VeniJesuAmorMi

Eep, I thought I found footage of them on youtube, but I do believe it was Brooklyn... :blush:

I have seen that video though! A very good one. :) That community is very closely united to Buffalo and is a great community also.

VeniJesuAmorMi

I meant to comment on this before (like my coloring? :j) ... so cute!  :hehe:

So wonderful!!! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgSMhV_yZs4&feature=player_detailpage#t=3964s 

if the timing on this won't work, here's the exact part I was linking to ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgSMhV_yZs4&feature=player_detailpage#t=3964s

Also, good news, your package with this movie is in the mail! :clap: finally!!! (the EWTN version with the better subtitles/not as many mistakes/strange wordings as the new version) I was going to email this, but I'll post it here instead. So the main thing that kept delaying me was that I hoped to get the few holy cards I was going to send with it blessed by a priest, but I kept missing the opportunity. Also I am printing out/making one from a picture from my trip. So then today I suddenly realized it was the last day to send anything for Christmas! Somehow I thought Christmas was Thursday! :topsy: So I got to the Post Office within 5 minutes of it closing! LOL :proud: (there were a few other last minute Christmas senders too) and just sent the movie by itself. The holy cards will come next :) I just really want to get this to you ASAP so you can watch the whole thing before you enter. I imagined I was going to make the packaging really beautiful with Christmas stickers, and a nice little note, etc. but didn't get the chance in the last minute rush. But what's good is that it's coming!!! :nun2: I was going to let this be a surprise, but then I wanted to explain why the holy cards weren't there with it. So hopefully... God willing, it will be there for Christmas! Ttyl for now! God bless!

Thank you so much Chiqui! :) About the Christmas list, my parents would let me know not to look at any packages when they came to the door (so I wouldn't see were they came from.) So even though I wasn't looking at them, I'd be bringing them in the house thinking, "I wonder which one this is?" :saint2:  I'm looking forward to getting my postulant items Christmas day. This acceptance at this time of the year is a gift from Jesus and one that I get to give back to Him since He has let me give myself to Him in Carmel and now I will certainly do just that to the highest extent. It has always been all or nothing for me when I would think of how I could give myself to Him. How could we choose anything that is less??

I meant to get back to this post sooner to thank you! My brother is here and also my sister and her husband (and dog) are here from FL. Its very busy around here but I am so thankful to be with them all. This will be a very joyful and blessed Christmas! I've been baking up a storm these past two days but its a great time. :) I am very much looking forward to watching the Saint Teresa of the Andes movie before I leave; It is so good. I have only seen it one with English subtitles and its been a long while. I showed my parents the part in the clip you sent me when she is entering the enclosure. It is so similar to when you enter Buffalo! Certainly the part when she is in Carmel is my favorite. :heart:  You made such good timing to send it out! It will be a wonderful Christmas gift. Thank you again so much! I will be looking forward to those holy cards also. I will keep them in my Breviary..... or as it is said in Carmel "our" breviary. :nun:  I will be sure to let you know when I receive everything.

graciandelamadrededios

Thank you all so dearly for your prayers and kind words. I am happy that I can share my joy with you all! This vocation isn't just for me it is for so many others. This is certainly part of the beauty of this grace.

About the list, it is one of the most simple I have seen or heard of. I had asked Reverend Mother when she had called me if what was on the list that came with the application was all that I needed and she had said everything else will be provided for. Here is the list:

A pair of soft black shoes

Garden boots

Snow boots

Underwear

Black knee-high stockings

Black or brown knee socks

A plain Rosary (brown, black, or white beads.)

All photo identification you may have

Optional to bring a few personal books such as the Holy Bible, the Imitation of Christ, and the works of Our Holy Mother Saint Teresa, Our Holy Father Saint John of the Cross and Saint Therese. It isn't necessary to bring books because they will be provided there but I plan on bringing my Bible. All the items make up my Christmas list and have been given to my parents. I told them I'll act surprised! :nun:

Speaking of things to bring in Carmel, I would like to share the following information from a book I read entitled:

FRANCES NEVINS

Mid 20th Century Carmelite

Friend, Scholar, Wife, Nun and Mystic

J.M.+J.T.

MONASTERY OF DISCALCED CARMELITES

428 DUANE AVENUE

SCHENECTADY 4, NEW YORK

Pax Christi!

November 14, 1960

Dear Frances,

We just received the final permission needed from Our Superior to admit you among the Choir Sisters.  Today being the fest of “All the Saints of Carmel” we hasten to send you the good news.

Reverend Mother has set the date for November 21st feast of Our Lady’s Presentation.  Can you make it for(not sure of the handwriting of the nun) then?  Only seven more days left!  Its quite a short notice at any time.

Welcome to Carmel, dear Frances.  It is nice to think that All the Saints of Carmel are to present another little soul to Our Blessed Mother on her feast day.

Enclosed you will find a list of articles to bring.  It isn’t necessary to buy anything that isn’t specified on the list.

May God Bless you and give you all the graces necessary for the big step you are about to take.

We shall keep you in our prayers.

Yours humbly in Our Lord,

For Reverend Mother Prioress

+

My dear Child,

We just received your permission.  Today is the feast of “All Saints of Carmel” so it looks   as though your new family in Heaven is taking you into their keeping.  May God be praised!

Frances, I forgot to tell you when you were here, that $200.00 novitiate expense money is required, besides the dowry stipulated by Canon Law.

Mother Mistress would like you to come on the 21st.  I hope you can be ready on such short notice.  A warm welcome awaits you, our dear Frances.

Mother M. Magdalen of the Holy Ghost, D.C.

If you have to buy a Bible buy the New Catholic Edition of the Holy Bible

A small crucifix, 3” or 4” long

Daily Missal in Latin and English

Following of Christ by Thomas A’Kempis

6 cotton underwear – night gown – towels – wash clothes

6 pr. of brown cotton stockings

2 pr. of low heel shoes

1 pr. of rubber and overshoes (I am not sure if I got the correct spelling on this)

3 cotton and 3 flannelette sheets

3 woolen blankets

A shawl (if you have one)

Darning cotton, brown and white

Any sewing articles you may have

Small scissors

Large pr. of shears

An alarm clock

Toothbrushes and toothpaste

Pocket pen-knife

Edited by graciandelamadrededios

VeniJesuAmorMi

Speaking of things to bring in Carmel, I would like to share the following information from a book I read entitled:

FRANCES NEVINS

Mid 20th Century Carmelite

Friend, Scholar, Wife, Nun and Mystic

J.M.+J.T.

MONASTERY OF DISCALCED CARMELITES

428 DUANE AVENUE

SCHENECTADY 4, NEW YORK

Pax Christi!

November 14, 1960

Dear Frances,

We just received the final permission needed from Our Superior to admit you among the Choir Sisters.  Today being the fest of “All the Saints of Carmel” we hasten to send you the good news.

Reverend Mother has set the date for November 21st feast of Our Lady’s Presentation.  Can you make it for(not sure of the handwriting of the nun) then?  Only seven more days left!  Its quite a short notice at any time.

Welcome to Carmel, dear Frances.  It is nice to think that All the Saints of Carmel are to present another little soul to Our Blessed Mother on her feast day.

Enclosed you will find a list of articles to bring.  It isn’t necessary to buy anything that isn’t specified on the list.

May God Bless you and give you all the graces necessary for the big step you are about to take.

We shall keep you in our prayers.

For Reverend Mother Prioress

+

My dear Child,

We just received your permission.  Today is the feast of “All Saints of Carmel” so it looks   as though your new family in Heaven is taking you into their keeping.  May God be praised!

Frances, I forgot to tell you when you were here, that $200.00 novitiate expense money is required, besides the dowry stipulated by Canon Law.

Mother Mistress would like you to come on the 21st.  I hope you can be ready on such short notice.  A warm welcome awaits you, our dear Frances.

Mother M. Magdalen of the Holy Ghost, D.C.

If you have to buy a Bible buy the New Catholic Edition of the Holy Bible

A small crucifix, 3” or 4” long

Daily Missal in Latin and English

Following of Christ by Thomas A’Kempis

6 cotton underwear – night gown – towels – wash clothes

6 pr. of brown cotton stockings

2 pr. of low heel shoes

1 pr. of rubber and overshoes (I am not sure if I got the correct spelling on this)

3 cotton and 3 flannelette sheets

3 woolen blankets

A shawl (if you have one)

Darning cotton, brown and white

Any sewing articles you may have

Small scissors

Large pr. of shears

An alarm clock

Toothbrushes and toothpaste

Pocket pen-knife

Thank you Gracian for sharing this! Its fun to know about the list for postulants. It's nice to see the differences of what is now provided for you at the Monastery and what needs to be brought in. What I found most interesting (what was asked to bring) was the alarm clock and pocket pen-knife. While I'm not sure about the use of the knife, my guess is the alarm clock is for when the postulant doesn't get up early with the community but is able to sleep in, though it is usually for the first few weeks. Reverend Mother told me during one of our visits that its hard for the postulants to have to sleep in because they want to get up with the community and pray Lauds. Good show of zeal though! Thanks again. :)

graciandelamadrededios

You're welcome, Veni!

The alarm clock for sure, is for postulants own use - the community is usually awaken by the sound of the wooden clapper.

I am not also sure about the importance of bringing pocket-pen knife, maybe someone here can enlighten us?

Gracian

VeniJesuAmorMi

Merry Christmas to you all! :)

I have enjoyed, and still am enjoying!, this wonderful and blessed Christmas with my family. It's a beautiful inspiration to place all of my loved ones in the most Sacred Heart of Jesus, especially now before I enter soon and at this time when being together stirs up emotions but I am more than happy and thankful to be able to give all the more I am able to give to our Beloved. I did get all of the postulant items and they are just great! It was very exciting and it seemed just perfect to get them today and it has really built up the anticipation for entrance. I was wondering how they are celebrating in Buffalo today but I have certainly been thinking of them as they are celebrating and rejoicing! I hope you all are having a blessed Christmas with your loved ones and making many more good memories with them and for those that may feel lonely that you feel His sweet Presence and the peace and joy that He brings.

"Whatever did not fit in with my plan did lie within the plan of God. I have an ever deeper and firmer belief that nothing is merely an accident when seen in the light of God, that my whole life down to the smallest details has been marked out for me in the plan of Divine Providence and has a completely coherent meaning in God's all seeing eyes. And so I am beginning to rejoice in the light of glory wherein this meaning will be unveiled to me." -Teresa Benedicta of the Cross

graciandelamadrededios

A pocket pen knife is a nun's best friend! It's constantly being used!

Thanks for the information Sr. Mary Catharine!

Can you give us some examples?

Gracian

Merry Christmas!!! Thank you Veni for sharing that encouraging quote from St. Teresa Benedicta! :pray:

Merry Christmas to you all! :)

I have enjoyed, and still am enjoying!, this wonderful and blessed Christmas with my family. It's a beautiful inspiration to place all of my loved ones in the most Sacred Heart of Jesus, especially now before I enter soon and at this time when being together stirs up emotions but I am more than happy and thankful to be able to give all the more I am able to give to our Beloved. I did get all of the postulant items and they are just great! It was very exciting and it seemed just perfect to get them today and it has really built up the anticipation for entrance. I was wondering how they are celebrating in Buffalo today but I have certainly been thinking of them as they are celebrating and rejoicing! I hope you all are having a blessed Christmas with your loved ones and making many more good memories with them and for those that may feel lonely that you feel His sweet Presence and the peace and joy that He brings.

Perhaps they are celebrating like this! :harp: (Portuguese subtitles there :j)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEabOMQJxhs

It sounds like maybe the movie didn't arrive yet... aww. They said it would on the 24th, but if not, that's okay. It will come soon enough :like:  The thing I love especially about how we celebrate Christmas as Catholics is that with Christmas day, Christmas has only just begun! :nun2:

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Thanks for the information Sr. Mary Catharine!

Can you give us some examples?

Gracian

Opening boxes, tightening screws, cutting twine in the garden, opening bottles.

ChristinaTherese

I felt so strange not having my knife with me for a week and a half because I was traveling.... It's good for everything. But if you play with throwing it into the air and drop it enough times (yes, with the blade closed, I'm not that foolish), the casing might just start to break....

ToJesusMyHeart

Optional to bring a few personal books such as the Holy Bible, the Imitation of Christ, and the works of Our Holy Mother Saint Teresa, Our Holy Father Saint John of the Cross and Saint Therese. It isn't necessary to bring books because they will be provided there but I plan on bringing my Bible. All the items make up my Christmas list and have been given to my parents. I told them I'll act surprised! :nun:

That's what I did too, and Deo gratias my mom got my a few of my items. :) So excited for you!!!

graciandelamadrededios

Thank you, Sr. Mary Catherine!

VeniJesuAmorMi

Thank you all for your continued prayers and kind words. :)

Merry Christmas!!! Thank you Veni for sharing that encouraging quote from St. Teresa Benedicta! :pray:

Perhaps they are celebrating like this! :harp: (Portuguese subtitles there :j)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEabOMQJxhs

It sounds like maybe the movie didn't arrive yet... aww. They said it would on the 24th, but if not, that's okay. It will come soon enough :like:  The thing I love especially about how we celebrate Christmas as Catholics is that with Christmas day, Christmas has only just begun!   :nun2:

CHIQUI, I RECEIVED YOUR PACKAGE TODAY! :) :heart: Thank you so much dear friend. I will be watching it this coming week as I continue in anticipation for my entrance. Its still a Christmas gift!

I was thinking the same wonderful thing these past couple of days; that Christmas has really just begun! I was reading some more of "The Way of Divine Love" (a great book about the life of Sister Josefa Menendez for those who haven't read it yet.) It happened that what I had read last night was from our Blessed Mother that was very touching and it had fit in with some of my meditation on the birth of Our Lord and how His way was set to the Cross from the moment of His birth. While this time is filled with celebration and joy that it is so important to keep our eyes on the cross so that we don't let ourselves lose this treasure. Our Blessed Mother did this most perfectly.

Here is the part from the book: "From childhood I knew of divine things and the hopes centered in the coming of the Messiah. So when the Angel declared the mystery of the Incarnation to me, and I found myself chosen as the Mother of the Redeemer of mankind, though my heart adhered to the divine will with entire submission, it was drowned in a sea of bitterness and woe. For I knew all that this tender and heavenly Child was destined to endure, and Simeon's prophecy only confirmed the anguish of my Mother's heart.

Can you, then, imagine how I felt while contemplating My Son's charms, His heavenly countenance, His hands and feet which I knew were to be so cruelly ill-treated?

I kissed those little hands, and felt my lips already stained with the Precious Blood that one day would gush from their wounds. I kissed His feet, and already saw them nailed to the Cross. And as I carefully tended His hair, I pictured it all clotted with Blood and entangled in the cruel thorns.

And when at Nazareth, He first ventured on a few steps, hastening with outstretched arms to meet me, my teas fell as I pictured them extended on the Cross on which He was to die.

When He reached boyhood, He was so divinely beautiful that none could contemplate Him unmoved ... yet in my heart, the heart of a mother, the sword was turned at the thought of the tortures that were to be inflicted on Him, of which I felt beforehand the savage recoil."