An Old School Catholic Message Board

Republicans And The Environment

PhuturePriest

The EPA wants to shut them all down.  

Lots of lost jobs, increased dependency on foreign oil, and higher energy prices.  But I'm sure it'll do wonders for The Planet.

It is nice to know that you are young enough that you'll likely live to see your children's lives made more difficult by climate change.  That tiny justice doesn't outweigh the misery that millions will experience as a result of climate change, or course.  It's even sadder that it's mostly people living in places like Bangladesh that will bear that brunt of it.  

Edited by Hasan

Oooooh!  

Ronald Reagan, Sean Hannity, and Socrates.  The Axis of Evil!  (shudders)

Check and mate.

Btw, ND, I really dig the WFB Jr. avatar.

I certainly wouldn't call you evil.  You're a sadly misinformed man who spends a good deal of free time crusading for policies that will make his children's lives more difficult.  Which is sad.  But not significant or intentional enough to be really labeled evil.  I'm sure you're a well intentioned enough guy in real life.  

I'm confident the climate will be just the same whether Elephants or Jackasses are elected to office, or whatever stupid environmental regulations or taxes or passed.  The deleterious effect on the economy, and the increase in unemployment and cost of living will be quite real.

Unfortunately, I will likely live long enough to see my children's lives be made more difficult by the unthinkably huge crushing unpayable debt our current government is laying on them with its runaway spending.  (And for which both Republicans and Democrats are responsible, lest I be accused of blind partisanship.)

You seem uptight today Hasan-dogg.  Maybe lay off the shitakke mushrooms and instead enjoy some choom tonight.  :mex:

You're a sadly misinformed man who spends a good deal of free time crusading for policies that will make his children's lives more difficult.  

"The children" guilt card.  Leftism is all for the good of The Children, of course.

Almost as old as the "Racist" card (already played in this thread).

As I said, the best plan would be to gradually lesson our dependence on coal and move onto other renewable resources, eventually not using coal at all. I'm sure the people who lose their jobs in the coal industry can get jobs in whatever renewable resource we find that's best. Perhaps a deal could be made that they would be guaranteed jobs in the other resource?

I'm sure improved forms of energy will probably be found in the future without massive government regulations, shut-downs, interference, and forcibly channeling money from one party to another.

When effective alternatives are actually discovered, jobs will open up in those areas on their own.  The government can't simply create new jobs out of thin air if the demand isn't there.

"The children" guilt card.  Leftism is all for the good of The Children, of course.

Plenty of orthodoxies of the traditional left and liberal establishment would be bad for future generations.  Barak Obama has codified the precedent set by the Bush administration and made it exceptionally unlikely that there will even be a significant rollback of the modern security state.  Fortunately, now that there is a black liberal in power, you're finally concerned about the overreach of the modern security state (a concern you mocked me and other members of the political left for on here when Bush was in power, by the way).

CLimate Change denial is an issue that the Republican Party and conservatives in general have owned in this country.  You have spent a great deal of time arguing against it on here.  It is something that will make your children's lives more difficult in the years to come.  Those are just facts.  Your children's lives aren't going to be as impacted as those of the children of parents living in the developing world.  But harder they will be.  

I'm sure improved forms of energy will probably be found in the future without massive government regulations, shut-downs, interference, and forcibly channeling money from one party to another.

When effective alternatives are actually discovered, jobs will open up in those areas on their own.  The government can't simply create new jobs out of thin air if the demand isn't there.

Right.  Because the current energy market is a free market.  It's not as if the oil and coal industries have spend massive amounts of money to obfuscate the issue of climate change and shape the market in their favor.  

I'm confident the climate will be just the same whether Elephants or Jackasses are elected to office, or whatever stupid environmental regulations or taxes or passed.  

I've never doubted your confidence in your position.  Which makes it all the more sad.  At least most of the pundits pushing your line on the national state are at least somewhat self-aware of their charlatanism.  That makes much more morally appalling than you but less tragic.  

KnightofChrist

"The children" guilt card. Leftism is all for the good of The Children, of course.

If he actually cared about children, race or the environment, he would not so blindly support the mass murder of children that disproportionately targets non-whites. The deposal of the approximate 125,000 murdered each day cannot be good for the environment. Edited by KnightofChrist

I've never doubted your confidence in your position.  Which makes it all the more sad.  At least most of the pundits pushing your line on the national state are at least somewhat self-aware of their charlatanism.  That makes much more morally appalling than you but less tragic.  

I've never doubted your confidence in your position.  Which makes it all the more sad.  At least most of the pundits pushing your line on the national state are at least somewhat self-aware of their charlatanism.  That makes them much more morally appalling than you but less tragic.  

Edited by Socrates

I've never doubted your confidence in your position.  Which makes it all the more sad.  At least most of the pundits pushing your line on the national state are at least somewhat self-aware of their charlatanism.  That makes them much more morally appalling than you but less tragic.  

It wasn't clear to me that Hasan had a position.  He just disagrees with all the republican, conservative, or orthodox catholic viewpoints and - let's be honest - bashes those groups a bit, but if one turns around and brings up "the left", "liberals", or "Democrats" he gets all "let's not use labels." 

It wasn't clear to me that Hasan had a position.  He just disagrees with all the republican, conservative, or orthodox catholic viewpoints and - let's be honest - bashes those groups a bit, but if one turns around and brings up "the left", "liberals", or "Democrats" he gets all "let's not use labels." 

When have I ever said 'let's not use labels'?

When have I ever said 'let's not use labels'?

It's a paraphrase of what I read into you wrt my point of view that you don't really take positions.  You are happy to use labels on other people, not yourself, to the point of arguing over what labels may apply where and what they really mean... 

But seriously bro, have a beer or something.  Normally arguing with you can seem fun, but I'm not getting the happy vibe from you today.  You seem extra uptight.   It's ok.  we can come back here and play another day.