An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

The article below is quite interesting.  I need state, however, that after doing some research, Fr Ernest. Larkin, OCarm and the website carmelitenet.org (and according to Catholic Culture review) ask that Fr. Larkin and the carmelitenet website be read with caution.  I could not find anything questionable in the articles for which I have given links however.

I was surprised to find my own path of ascesis outlined in the article.  My path is a some of the old asceticism (without severe penitential practices), with an emphasis on the new asceticism.  As well as this, those penitential (ascetic) practices asked by The Church are of great importance, simply because I do hold that they do not only get one over the salvation line, they are a means too of growth in the spiritual life faithfully practised.  Mea culpa.  It is not only for us laity an ascetic practise, it is an act of obedience.    And as one's days unfold there will be many more sacrifices asked simply in order to live out the call of The Gospel and one's vocation, as well as the gentle promptings and invitations of The Holy Spirit.  I do hold personally that inherent in a vocation from God, a call from Him to a certain way or state of life, is at once also the guarantee that His Divine Providence will instruct, guide and sanctify.

This thread of course is open to posts and thoughts from all members - and all posts, criticisms etc. and thoughts are very welcome.

"Asceticism in Modern Life"

http://carmelnet.org/larkin/larkin003.pdf   (4.5 A4 pages, 2 column)

Excerpt only: "In the past asceticism has emphasized the negative pole and devised exercises and observances to chastise the body and bring it into subjection (1 Cor. 9, 27), to mortify the works of the flesh (Gal. 5, 16-21),to suffer with Christ in order to be glorified with him (Rom. 8, 17).

Asceticism’s task has been one of discipline and control, its purpose the achievement of a dynamic equilibrium or detachment which is the proper disposition for possessing God in contemplative union. St. Teresa of Avila summed up this point of view rather neatly: “When we empty ourselves of all that is creature and rid ourselves of it for the love of God, that same Lord will fill our souls with himself.”1 Self-denial, renunciation, penance and sacrifice have thus been the first order of business in a spiritual life dominated by the cross and oriented to a loving knowledge of God.

Our age has reacted against this type of asceticism as artificial and opted for a more positive, outgoing, resurrection-centered spirituality. People today are impatient with a cross separated from the resurrection, with fabricated penances, but especially with any device that would separate them from the challenges and suffering of a full-time, involved life with their fellow human beings

For those who might be interested (I haven't read it all), this is a quite long text by Fr John A Hardon SJ(whose cause is up for canonization). on the subject of Islam. 

Since Fr John A Hardon SJ is the author, it is quite probably a sound and reliable type of document/resource on the subject.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Daily Gospel Reading & Meditation - Tuesday 30th August 2016

Tuesday (August 30): "His word was with authority and power"

Scripture: Luke 4:31-37

31 And he went down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee. And he was teaching them on the Sabbath; 32 and they were astonished at his teaching, for his word was with authority. 33 And in the synagogue there was a man who had the spirit of an unclean demon; and he cried out with a loud voice, 34 "Ah! What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are, the Holy One of God." 35 But Jesus rebuked him, saying, "Be silent, and come out of him!" And when the demon had thrown him down in the midst, he came out of him, having done him no harm. 36 And they were all amazed and said to one another, "What is this word? For with authority and power he commands the unclean spirits, and they come out." 37 And reports of him went out into every place in the surrounding region.

Meditation HERE

I do think that the relationship of Jesus to each of the baptised as a spousal relationship can be expressed or more publicly witnessed to in consecrated life in its various forms; nevertheless, the spousal relationship is not confined to consecrated life.  Undoubtedly too, the spousal relationship can be on deeper and deeper levels - this is certainly witnessed to perhaps at its height in the mystical marriage described by our mystics.  Certainly, consecrated virginity is an outstanding witness to The Church as the virginal bride and Spouse of Christ.

The spousal relationship is a relationship of unity.  It exists in the soul in Grace, which is supernatural.  This supernatural relationship can be evident and witnessed to on a more natural level (initiated and supported in every way by Grace) in various ways including through The Sacrament of Marriage.

Catholic Catechism (CCC with Search) https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/catechism/

Spouse of Christ here

#796 The unity of Christ and the Church, head and members of one Body, also implies the distinction of the two within a personal relationship. This aspect is often expressed by the image of bridegroom and bride. The theme of Christ as Bridegroom of the Church was prepared for by the prophets and announced by John the Baptist. 234 The Lord referred to himself as the "bridegroom." 235The Apostle speaks of the whole Church and of each of the faithful, members of his Body, as a bride "betrothed" to Christ the Lord so as to become but one spirit with him. 236 The Church is the spotless bride of the spotless Lamb. 237 "Christ loved the Church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her." 238 He has joined her with himself in an everlasting covenant and never stops caring for her as for his own body: 239

This is the whole Christ, head and body, one formed from many . . . whether the head or members speak, it is Christ who speaks. He speaks in his role as the head (ex persona capitis) and in his role as body (ex persona corporis). What does this mean? "The two will become one flesh. This is a great mystery, and I am applying it to Christ and the Church." 240 And the Lord himself says in the Gospel: "So they are no longer two, but one flesh." 241 They are, in fact, two different persons, yet they are one in the conjugal union, . . . as head, he calls himself the bridegroom, as body, he calls himself "bride." 242

lst Corinthians Chapter 12

As a body is one though it has many parts, and all the parts of the body, though many, are one body, so also Christ.For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, slaves or free persons, and we were all given to drink of one Spirit. (LOTH - Sext - Tuesday 30th August 2016)

Continuation of the above: 14 Now the body is not a single part, but many. If a foot should say, "Because I am not a hand I do not belong to the body," it does not for this reason belong any less to the body. Or if an ear should say, "Because I am not an eye I do not belong to the body," it does not for this reason belong any less to the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would the hearing be? If the whole body were hearing, where would the sense of smell be? But as it is, God placed the parts, each one of them, in the body as he intended. If they were all one part, where would the body be?

But as it is, there are many parts, yet one body.

The eye cannot say to the hand, "I do not need you," nor again the head to the feet, "I do not need you." Indeed, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are all the more necessary, and those parts of the body that we consider less honourable we surround with greater honour, and our less presentable parts are treated with greater propriety,

whereas our more presentable parts do not need this. But God has so constructed the body as to give greater honour to a part that is without it, so that there may be no division in the body,

but that the parts may have the same concern for one another.

If (one) part suffers, all the parts suffer with it;

if one part is honoured, all the parts share its joy.

Now you are Christ's body, and individually parts of it.

Some people God has designated in the church to be, first, apostles; 6 second, prophets; third, teachers; then, mighty deeds; then, gifts of healing, assistance, administration, and varieties of tongues.

29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work mighty deeds?

30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret?

31 Strive eagerly for the greatest spiritual gifts. But I shall show you a still more excellent way.

Chapter 13: So faith, hope, love remain, these three; but the greatest of these is love

There is a thread active in Vocation Station titled "Been There Done That"  here

Because debate is not permitted in VS, I am putting a response here:

"I wonder if much emphasis seemingly (in Catholic cultural consciousness anyway) put on the various vocations on scales and grades creates the situation we do have re baptism and the call to holiness. This is not to state that theologically on an objective level there is no such thing as grades or scaling for the purposes of theology.  There seems to be a lack of understanding of the subjective and the great honour and dignity to be called by God to be baptised into Catholicism in the first place - and to be further called to build on that baptism in a certain vocation and no matter what that vocation might be.

Objectively theologically the vocations might be on different levels and grades - but what can be higher theologically on the objective level than God's Will no matter where He might call by vocation?  What can be higher in any person's life (theological subjective level) than to be lovingly about God's Will no matter what it might be - even in the face of opposition? 

All the grading and scale stuff is almost a cancellation or contradiction of the sense of 1 Corinthians and Chapters 12 and 13 here   It is there that the big picture - The Church - is the emphasis along with my place in it all.  But sometimes I just cannot see the wood for the trees.

On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 2:11 PM, Sponsa-Christi said:

Everyone is called to put God first in their life, but consecrated persons make real sacrifices in order to put God first in a much more radical way. 

I don't think that the above is of necessity always the case at all confined solely to consecrated life.  It seems to me to be the type of thinking that does lead to the laity being considered not as good as.  Laity can then become a sort of default fall back position  - laity becomes the

13 hours ago, Maggyie said:

junior varsity where one can get away with a lesser commitment

Laity can become the place where one just gets one's foot over the line of salvation - while consecrated life becomes the vocation of holiness where saints are made.  No matter one's vocation and call in life, one can be assured that sufficient in Grace and all else necessary to make great saints will be present in all individual journeys in any vocation at all.  It is all a question of attitude/perspective and response.

Sponsa: But in the consecrated life, there is a strong element of choosing God over other good things, including the good of an earthly spouse.

The above is problematic.  Again, I do not think the above is always necessarily so - possibly only to appearances.  Where vocation in life is concerned, is it about what I choose and want, or what God is inviting me to choose and I respond.  Where does discernment lay, what is discernment all about?  Is it focused in what I want solely...... or that to which God might be inviting and how to identify same."

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Mother Dearest, Mother Fairest  

Mother dearest, Mother fairest, 
Help of all, who call on thee. 
Virgin purest, brightest, rarest, 
Help us, help, we cry to thee. 

Lady, help in pain and sorrow, 
Soothe those rack'd on beds of pain, 
May the golden light of morrow, 
Bring them health and joy again.  

Lady, help the absent loved ones. 
How we miss their presence here. 
May the hand of Thy protection 
Guide and guard them far and near.    

Mary, help us, help we pray. 
Help us in all care and sorrow. 

Our Lady, Untier of Knots, Pray for us

CONSECRATED VIRGINITY

I think that Consecrated Virginity is an excellent witness to The Church as the virginal Bride of Christ.  I do think it is a loss that we cannot identify consecrated virgins more readily perhaps by some sort of non traditional type habit yet readily identified as a consecrated woman and virgin.  The slightly different type of habit or whatever would probably trigger people to ask "Are you a nun?" or "Is she a nun?" and the response that she is not a nun but a consecrated virgin could lead on to an explanation of the consecration and witness i.e. evangelization.

When I wore a cross on a leather thong, I was rather often asked if I was a nun.  I would reply that I was not and any request to explain further only got me into a right complex tangle - hence, I learnt to say simply that I was a practising Catholic lay person and liked to wear a cross, which was quite true.  I was a bit shocked when I went to my nephew's First Communion years ago.  A consecrated virgin I knew was a parish assistant and wore a traditional type nun's habit with veil. My brother (practising Catholic all his life and he and his wife still are***) commented "She is not a real nun" - and I needed to explain her CV vocation.  My brother took it in with an expression that I was slightly nutty yet again.:mad3: People known to have a mental illness might not be the best explainers of the (often complex) ins and outs of Catholicism.:sad2:

But then I am not a consecrated virgin and commenting on a different vocation entirely.  Meaning that it is not up to me really to even comment perhaps.:oops:  Perhaps CV's are not readily identified for some good reason.  I wouldn't know.  But since I am in Open Mic, I feel I have some freedom since the forum described as  "Talk about anything you want here. Don't be afraid."  Phewwww, I hope that will get me out of any hot water :)

*** When my brother and his wife first met, he was considering the priesthood and had been on a guided personal tour of the seminary and had many questions answered on that tour.  His now wife, was considering entering the Dominican Order.  They raised their four children as practising Catholics all of whom were educated in our system.

I find it really difficult understanding why practising Catholics all their life don't understand much about our Catholicism at all including our theology. Because I am just a very ordinary lay person (I no longer wear a cross) just one of the crew as it were, I get to hear it all I think.  I have losses by not wearing a cross but then I have gains too.

For one real gain, wearing a cross was a constant reminder I had a standard to adhere to.  Mea culpa.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

PSYCHIATRIST & BIPOLAR

My brother took me out for the day today.  After lunch, I had my usual visit to the psychiatrist (every two or three months providing all is going well).

My doc and I discussed if I could be having mild bipolar episodes with changes of season and weather - and of course stress.  She said it was almost impossible to know if it was specifically bipolar in origin as people who are completely 'normal' can have mood changes under the same circumstances.  The important thing for me to recognise is that if I am feeling down or even over active, is it a season change or a change in the weather and we do know (long standing) that I do not handle stress well and can have anxiety attacks.  Of course, if the mood change is extreme, I do have her pager (not all her patients have this) and can contact her.

We did have some laughs today as I confided to her under a promise to reveal nothing some of the tricks I get up to when hospitalised and detained to get off the ward and go ......... well go just about anywhere I please.  I also have confided to her what I would get up to to have a quiet cigarette in the dead of night.  I asked for her promise to keep it all to herself, just in case I should land up in hospital again in the future.  I am hoping that if it should happen, my escape routes remain unknown to staff......and patients.

I am always detained on a psyche ward the moment, almost, they see me coming.  It is not for the protection of others, but to protect me from myself.  I am never suicidal nor violent nor threaten same, but I loose all judgement and fear - common sense goes out the window.  What I think is normal healthy thinking and hence behaviour, is actually outstandingly bizarre in reality.  People can misinterpret and take offence...or worse.  And if they don't detain me, the first opportunity I get, I will sign myself out or just tell one of the patients to tell the staff I have gone home.  One psychiatrist (when I was a public patient) explained to me that I was detained and that meant that if I left the hospital grounds I would be "illegally at large".  I couldn't help laughing since I had never been told before I would be illegally at large - and what followed when I left that doctor's office constitutes another very funny story.  And truly, how I got out of dreadful situations without a hair of my head damaged, is near on miraculous at times.  I have in the past put myself in terrible situations - sort of like walking through the fiery furnace without a hair singed. Deo Gratius.

Some years ago we used to have a bipolar group meet not far from me in my previous suburb.  I met there a woman who was a lawyer.  After serious bipolar episodes that took her away from her career, she had been episode free for 13 years and had returned to practising law quite successfully once more - and then bang, right out the blue suddenly, a serious bipolar episode again and hospitalization.  She was just coming down to earth after the episode when we met.  It can take a while to hit solid ground again when complete 'normality' returns..........until the next time.  Every mental illness is unique, probably no two personal experiences are the same.  For me the bipolar episode gradually takes up momentum before I am actually psychotic.......and it takes a while for me to get down to earth again after the episode.  Except for one only time, but that is another story.

That can be the insidious nature of bipolar............and why I stay in touch with my doctor regularly.  We laughed that I am so easy to get along with unless I am unwell and don't know it.  I will protest loudly that I am quite well, when she knows I am not well at all.  That is when the going can get rough for her......and blinded me.  The more a bipolar episode develops, the more one thinks one is quite well and rest of the world has gone completely nuts.  It can be quite funny to reflect back on bipolar related anecdotes in my life, some of them, but at the time they are not funny nor even slightly amusing at all.

One of the blessings of years of good mental health (whatever that is!) is that I am not a huge burden and major worry to others.  One of the blessings!  This too is the God given gift I feel that I have to offer others through striving (Grace prevailing) to stay in good mental health.

Venite exsultemus Domino......Deo Gratius.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

MOANING AND GROANING

To a disciple who was forever complaining about others the Master said,

“If it is peace you want, seek to change yourself, not other people.

It is easier to protect your feet with slippers than to carpet the whole of the earth.”   

(Anthony de Mello, One Minute Wisdom)

LOVE, FAITH, TRUST, HUMILITY  & FALLING AND RISING AGAIN

GOSPEL MEDITATION - 1st September 2016

First day of Spring!  Deo Gratius!

1 Corinthians 3:18-23
Psalm 24:1bc-2, 3-4ab, 5-6
Luke 5:1-11

In most of the New Testament, Peter appears to be somewhat dumbfounded by what he sees Jesus do and hears him say, but here Peter seems to be very much in tune with the situation and what is called for.  He is a professional fisherman, and a tired one at that, and his first response to the Lord shows what he thinks will happen; nevertheless, he puts himself and his crew into the Lord's hands and very simply does what the Lord asks him to do. 

This is trust and humility, but at root it is also and primarily faith.  An English Protestant evangelist of the 19th century, Oswald Chambers, once stated that “Faith never knows where it is being led, but it loves and knows the One who is leading.”  That is what is happening here, and it is at the root of why Jesus takes Peter to be one of those closest to him in his work and even in his passion.  Peter will love Jesus, will continually fail even after Pentecost, and yet will be the leader of the Twelve and of the Church. 

Can we have the same faith, the same love of the Lord?  Are we able to let our sins and our sinfulness not hold us back from doing what good we can in Jesus' Name --- or from turning back to him again and again when we fail? (Chas Kestermeier, S.J)

Creighton Online Ministries