An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bbf1a2a3145656e59

Have been watching a National Geographic documentary on the Dead Sea Scrolls.  Various experts of integrity (one can only hope) give all sorts of interpretations including some conflicting understandings.  My conclusion is that the day will arrive where we must put our blind trust and confidence in God and Him only and as Catholic Christians, that means in Jesus. 

Elderly nun in the discussion with younger Sister and film crew (towards the end of video at 16.07).........she nails it at every point.

What science wants to do - and I put experts of integrity (one can only hope) in that category - is arrive at truth.   Truth of the matter is that the more they seem to understand and conflict, the further away the truth of the matter keeps slipping to some unknown destination.

Science desires reality of matters - or 'truth' - and is on a journey of searching.  Faith knows Reality and Truth and bypasses the journey and searching.

"Jesus then said to those Jews who believed in him, "If you remain in my word, you will truly be my disciples,

and you will know truth (The Truth), and the truth (The Truth) will set you free." (John Chapter 8)

(brackets in quotation are mine)

PS Had an afternoon with my doctor and I have to undergo more tests.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Did a search on Google and I am pretty sure (but not absolutely sure) the video below is the National Geographic documentary on the Dead Sea Scrolls.  Did a quick here and there stop in the video and most all of the scenes I recognised.  A couple I did not, but that might mean I was briefly distracted. 

I watched the video on Foxtel Go, not Youtube.

What is true (fact) and what is not in these documentaries is always debatable, so don't take these information matters on board as gospel!  If you want gospel and Gospel...................

go to:  http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/_INDEX.HTM

Watching the video I posted above.  It seems to me that with the one I watched on Foxtel Go, some things are edited out and others included - and understandable.

One thing that has impressed me is in the section relating to the Essences and the flash of an image of an artwork of The Last Supper, I was intrigued as to what brand of iron they used :shocking:(see the creases on the tablecloth in the video at 36.42)

Foxtel-go.png

My next video project is a three part series on Karl Marx, Nietzsche and Freud ("Bettany Hughes Investigates" on History Channel). 

I am watching on Foxtel Go  meaning I can pause for as long as I like and return at some later point.

(The thing for me about videos like the CArmelite Nuns in Wolverhampton, which I posted previously, is that I can anchor myself in a world where we all speak the same lingo -unlike out here in the world in the madness at times and where I am called to labour.  (in a poem I wrote long ago, I called the confusion out in the world "the madness on the bus, unless it phones or calls in")

What I never want to loose touch with, with God's Grace always, is that out here in this temporal world He created there might be a sort of madness - but He loves His Creation and creatures to abandon.  Every single one of us.  Amen)

Daily Mass Online

Friday 12th October 2018

from Australia

Note that the video is The Mass for today.  The date on the video is incorrect -and now and then

it can be incorrect.

LITURGY of THE HOURS

LET US PRAY WITH THE UNIVERSAL CHURCH

Prayer_slide.jpg

For The Church and The World

from Universalis website

Each location has its own calendar http://universalis.com/930/n-location.htm

If you cannot find your location on the above link,

use

The General Calendar, which is posted daily into this thread (link below)

General Calendar - Lauds (Morning Prayer)  http://universalis.com/1030/lauds.htm

416N46JN48L.jpg

RELYING ON KEEPING THE LAW

TO SAVE

IS IMPOSSIBLE

If I break one law, I have broken the whole Law

"For whoever keeps the whole law, but falls short in one particular, has become guilty in respect to all of it." (James Chapter 2)

"Are we then annulling the law by this faith? Of course not! On the contrary, we are supporting the law." (Romans Chapter 3)

"The law entered in so that transgression might increase but, where sin increased, grace overflowed all the more" (Romans Chapter 5)

First reading - 12th October 2018

Galatians 3:7-14 

The sons of Abraham are those who rely on faith

Don’t you see that it is those who rely on Faith who are the sons of Abraham? Scripture foresaw that God was going to use faith to justify the pagans, and proclaimed the Good News long ago when Abraham was told: In you all the pagans will be blessed. Those therefore who rely on Faith receive the same blessing as Abraham, the man of faith.

On the other hand, those who rely on the keeping of the Law are under a curse, since scripture says: Cursed be everyone who does not persevere in observing everything prescribed in the book of the Law. The Law will not justify anyone in the sight of God, because we are told: the righteous man finds life through faith. The Law is not even based on faith, since we are told: The man who practises these precepts finds life through practising them. 

Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law by being cursed for our sake, since scripture says: Cursed be everyone who is hanged on a tree. This was done so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might include the pagans, and so that through Faith we might receive the promised Spirit.

liturg_calendar.jpg

Understanding our

Catholic Liturgical Calendar

The differences between Solemnities, Feasts and Memorials

H E R E

wpid-img_20150210_085418.jpg

You don't learn to praise in a day, especially since you may have been complaining for years! New habits take time to develop. But you can begin today, and practice tomorrow, and the next day, until it becomes part of you.
- Erwin W. Lutzer

1003--624x468.png

1011-624x468.png

faith.jpg

Psalm 34

"The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and he saves them.

Taste and see that the LORD is good;

blessed is the stalwart one who takes refuge in him.

Fear the LORD, you his holy ones;

nothing is lacking to those who fear him"

The words of Scripture are not just guiding and consoling words, they are the Word of The Holy Spirit and are Truth and Life, The Way to God.

What is Fear of The Lord?:     Excerpt........." .........Therefore, this “fear of the Lord” is a filial or reverential fear that moves a person to do God’s will and avoid sin because of love for God, who is all good and deserving of all of our love. In a similar way, a child should not be motivated to obey a parent simply because of fear of punishment, but because of love and respect; a person who loves someone does not want to disappoint or to break the other person’s heart. One should fear hurting a loved one and violating that person’s trust more than one should fear punishment. Nevertheless, one should have a healthy sense of fear for the punishment due to sin, including the fires of hell, even though this should not be the motivating factor for loving God."http://catholicstraightanswers.com/fear-lord/

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Daily Mass Online - 13th October 2018

from Australia

On 10/12/2018 at 7:19 AM, BarbaraTherese said:

LITURGY of THE HOURS

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8zrbgBtVc5lB-yuClHlK

from Universalis website

use

The General Calendar, which is posted daily into this thread (link below)http://universalis.com/1030/lauds.htm

General Calendar - Lauds (Morning Prayer) 

Notre-Dame.jpg

Saturday memorials of the Blessed Virgin Mary

(Saturdays traditionally dedicated to Our Lady)

‘On Saturdays in Ordinary Time when there is no obligatory memorial, an optional memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary is allowed.

‘Saturdays stand out among those days dedicated to the Virgin Mary. These are designated as memorials of the Blessed Virgin Mary. This memorial derives from Carolingian times (9th century), but the reasons for having chosen Saturday for its observance are unknown. While many explanations of this choice have been advanced, none is completely satisfactory from the point of view of the history of popular piety.

‘Whatever its historical origins may be, today the memorial rightly emphasizes certain values to which contemporary spirituality is more sensitive. It is a remembrance of the maternal example and discipleship of the Blessed Virgin Mary who, strengthened by faith and hope, on that “great Saturday” on which Our Lord lay in the tomb, was the only one of the disciples to hold vigil in expectation of the Lord’s resurrection. It is a prelude and introduction to the celebration of Sunday, the weekly memorial of the Resurrection of Christ. It is a sign that the Virgin Mary is continuously present and operative in the life of the Church.’

Directory on Popular Piety and the Liturgy (2001), §188

---o0o---

Just+my+2CENTS.gif

If I am going to evangelise, I need to be able to explain why I believe what I do believe.

In the first Reading at Mass today, St Paul continues his understanding re The Law and Faith. 

My two cents worth : Under The Law, one cannot escape that one is a sinner - The Law continually instructs that one has failed and one is sinful and a sinner.  And as St Paul has stated earlier, if one breaks one law, one is breaking the whole of The Law.

Under Faith however, or justification gifted to us through Jesus, one is still called to observe The Law and it continues to point out that one is a sinner, a failure.  However, Peace and Joy now enter into our journey:  Faith in Jesus means that despite one's continuing status as sinful and a sinner, one is justified by the Gift of Jesus and Faith in Him.  One continues as sinful and a sinner, but Faith in Jesus means that the sinful and the sinner is rescued from their true status as sinner and sinful and is freely gifted the Gift of Heaven.

Before The Incarnation and no matter how much we tried to obey The Law, we cannot enter Heaven (we weep as it were).  After The Incarnation the sinner and the sinful can be at Peace and in Joy - Heaven is again opened to us through The Second Adam, Jesus, truly man and Truly God.

Through Jesus and Faith in Him, the sinner and the sinful can now enter Heaven.  Faith in Jesus is a powerless sort of faith unless one takes up the commands of Jesus as revealed to us in The Gospel.  Even in taking up those commands or striving to do so, one is continually revealed as sinful, sinner and a failure - however, through true repentance and renewal (Sacrament of Reconciliation) as commanded by Jesus, one is at Peace and in Joy through the Gift of the Forgiveness of Jesus - God not only forgives, God forgets and one is returned to that status after Baptism of baptismal innocence spiritually or that status before one sinned in the first place.

Daily my journey reminds me that I am a sinner, I fail daily.  Therefore, repentance and renewal is a daily need.  In the case of mortal sin, I am called to the Sacrament of Reconciliation as soon as I am able - and at very least once yearly.  As St James tells us in his First Letter:

"If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us." (1 John Ch 1)

First reading at Mass - 13th October 2018

Galatians 3:22-29 ©

There are no more distinctions: all are one in Christ Jesus

Scripture makes no exceptions when it says that sin is master everywhere. In this way the promise can only be given through faith in Jesus Christ and can only be given to those who have this faith.

Before faith came, we were allowed no freedom by the Law; we were being looked after till faith was revealed. The Law was to be our guardian until the Christ came and we could be justified by faith. Now that that time has come we are no longer under that guardian, and you are, all of you, sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. All baptised in Christ, you have all clothed yourselves in Christ, and there are no more distinctions between Jew and Greek, slave and free, male and female, but all of you are one in Christ Jesus. Merely by belonging to Christ you are the posterity of Abraham, the heirs he was promised.]

hobbies-leisure-golfer-golf-golf_players

My comments are

always a practise shots or a rehearsal of explaining my beliefs, which I hope and pray always will be what The Church teaches and proclaims.  Rehearsals in case someone asks me why I believe some aspect of Faith.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Daily Mass Online

Sunday 14th October 2018

from Australia

On 10/13/2018 at 10:08 AM, BarbaraTherese said:

LITURGY of THE HOURS

20150601cnsbr9768-800x500.jpg

from

Universalis website

Sunday 14th October 2018

use

The General Calendar, which is posted daily into this thread (link below) 

General Calendar - Lauds  - Morning Prayer http://universalis.com/lauds.htm

Vespers - Evening Prayer http://universalis.com/vespers.htm

Alberto Guimaraes

Peace and Good! :nun1:

When I entered to Secular Franciscan Order, even before my religious profession, I did the private and particular vows, even very private and particular, only being known some years later:

─ To pray the Liturgy of the Hours, like a true religious. :nun3:

─ To wear the holy habit of the penance, the Tertiary Order brown tunic with the three knotted chord and the brown mantle. Some years later the OFS superior councils decided to ban the tunic, only resting the brown mantle. :nun2:

─ To be barefoot whenever possible. When it is no possible, I put on sandals or another simple and humble footwear. Only during the very cold seasons or very solemn civic, military or social (vg. funerals) :dead: ceremonies I put on socks ans shoes or boots. 

I wish you a Holy Sunday, with the blessings of Jesus, Mary and Francis! :amen:post-16088-0-26152700-1360272865_thumb.jpg

Br. Alberto Guimaraes

Braga ─ Portugal