An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjqlRaGi3mh2831zu3f5c

The Archbishop speaks about the contemplative challenging existing boundaries and conventions - and that sort of appealed to me.  I have been told by psychiatry that I am an eccentric (which is not a mental illness although I also still have a mental illness in bipolar disorder).  The thing about eccentricity is that one just cannot work out why thoughts and behaviours are so challenging and challenged by others.  It all seems quite rational and reasonable to the eccentric person and in reality it is where reason and rational are concerned, while it does challenge social boundaries and conventions without intending to do so.

I read in Time Magazine many years ago that sanity is an ever shifting line set by society.  As an example, in the past homosexuality was regarded as a mental disorder and a criminal offence.  Today it is socially accepted as sane behaviour and decriminalised.

Saturday 29th September 2018

FEAST

Saints Michael, Gabriel and Raphael, Archangels  

(Each Saturday is traditionally a day when we honour Our Lady,

Queen of The Angels)

Three-Archangels-Collage-1024x788.jpg

Daily Mass Online

Australia - General Calendar

Saturday 29th September 2018

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXO1gi0tDSAilacMT2xdf

LITURGY OF THE HOURS

LET US PRAY WITH THE UNIVERSAL CHURCH

Universalis

Each location has its own calendar http://universalis.com/n-location.htm

If you cannot find your location, use

The General Calendar, which is posted daily into this thread

General Calendar - Lauds (Morning Prayer) http://universalis.com/lauds.htm

(all Hours are in the left hand column)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaPli6QoUsQ4RkUNKSllD

ABOUT TODAY'S FEAST OF THE ARCHANGELS

WITH PRAYER TO THEM

giphy.gif

THINKING ABOUT THINGS

f8bc126e4831152ffeb301.jpg

quote-is-the-only-lesson-of-history-to-b

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTF238CbpnbCz5LpCrJU5

children-history-history_classes-history

edu61.gif

A little boy is sitting in a picture theatre.  In front of him is a very tall man blocking his view.  The man turns to the boy and asks "Can you see ok, son?"

"No sir, I'm sorry but I can't see"

"Just laugh when I laugh and you will be fine"

(Paraphrased from Anthony de Mello on "Authority")

695289-Anthony-de-Mello-Quote-If-you-mak

p03jrbg3.jpg

I read somewhere long ago that a quite common reason priests, religious and laypeople either left The Church after Vatican II, or denounced the Council altogether, is that pre V2 we were all conditioned by our psychology to have the seat of authority and decision making somewhere else - in the other.   From that paraphrasing, I have gone on to have my own reflections:

The seat of authority and decision making was always somewhere else.  Post V2 we deduced in some instances to make up our own mind, to make our own decisions.  We were told that one's conscience is the highest court of appeal without understanding and internalizing what a sound conscience was all about.  We were 'told' that rules and regulations can never be ends in themselves, but we were conditioned into believing that they were ends in themselves.    We were not accustomed mentally or psychologically, emotionally, to reflect on the end purpose of a rule or rules.  There was no necessity, all we had to do was obey and all things, without fail, will fall into place.

Vatican II was indeed fresh air into The Church, but psychologically we were not prepared for it.  Doing our own thinking and decision making just would not sit right, did not feel right - and in many instances felt downright wrong wherever we could make up our own mind that is.  In some instances we were bound to obey - a case of "my way or the highway".  We either accepted that or we did not.

It had to be a journey out of our conditioning into a new conditioning - that is never easy and it is never a short journey.  It is about unlearning unhelpful even destructive habits and learning new helpful and constructive habits.  It is a difficult journey asking perseverance.  And it all was taking place before we had really understood in a general sense what journey was all about in a spiritual, psychological and emotional sense.

The above is not a summary, it is a personal aspect only, a personal opinion..........and from a finite human being who suffers a mental illness :) .............but not always....................or so I am told.:idontknow:

THE DATE ON THE VIDEO IS INCORRECT

The video is actually

Mass for Sunday 30th September 2018

26th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Daily Mass Online

REFLECTION

Scandals in The Church in the time of Mark's Gospel

and scandals today

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTul7cz4PTEliRnGW4Glkc

LITURGY OF THE HOURS

Universalis

Each location has its own calendar http://universalis.com/n-location.htm

General Calendar - Lauds (Morning Prayer) http://universalis.com/930/lauds.htm

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0bDVPHcVZUYhRvSd_AY6

(Just to clarify, I am very much a member of Phatmass where I feel very much at home, a feeling of belonging and welcome - I am hardly on CA at all, if that -

other than for information gathering sometimes :shocking:

I do try at all times to not chuck out the baby with the bathwater i.e. to be discerning.)

There is much valuable info in these videos from CA

including excellent book recommendations

and websites -

listen to the commercials

Excellent explanation of Redemption vs Salvation on 1.19

Streamed Live Thursday, 20th September 2018

155 young men in training for priesthood in Maryland Seminary

Lord please hear our prayer

Book Recommendation from CA

51nONEzn7pL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/What-Saints-Never-Said-Misquotes/dp/1683570693

ALSO AVAILABLE ON KINDLE

---o0o---

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1TwMTwcYsgQ90pN0dqmQ

CATHOLIC ANSWERS - Book and Magazine Submissions 

https://www.catholic.com/submissions

Book manuscripts

Catholic Answers publishes popular books and booklets that explain, defend, and promote the Catholic Faith. We do not publish fiction, poetry, books on prayer or spirituality, scholarly works, or academic papers.

Authors wish to submit their suitable manuscripts or book ideas for consideration may send a query to acquisitions@catholic.com describing in a few sentences the work’s concept, its benefits, and its intended audience.

Please do not send unsolicited manuscripts or mail hard copies.

Magazine articles

Authors should submit completed articles only—no proposals—to magazine@catholic.com. Include “Feature Article” or “Conversion Story” in the subject line. Articles should be 2,000 to 3,000 words in length (including two sidebars) on a topic related to Catholic apologetics. MS Word files are preferred, but other kinds of text files are acceptable, or the article may be sent in the body of your email.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Please keep the island of Sulawesi, Indonesia, in prayer.  An earthquake 7.5 magnitude and tsunami struck on Friday 28th September 2018.

To date 835 are dead and the number is rising - more on the above thread

---o0o---

NATURAL DISASTERS

What causes 

TSUNAMIS AND EARTHQUAKES

0930-624x468.png

Vincent's Quote of the Day

30th September 2018

Give yourself to God and declare to Him that you desire to serve Him

in the way most pleasing to Him (St Vincent de Paul - IV:37). 

---o0o---

“To the Christian’s sensitized vision… the Creator and, more specifically, the Redeemer, have steeped themselves in all things and penetrated all things to such a degree that the world is full of God.” 

- Teilhard de Chardin, “The Divine Milieu” 

180px-Therese_von_Lisieux.jpg

1st October

MEMORIAL OF ST THERESE OF LISIEUX

QUOTATIONS FROM ST THERESE

Daily Mass Online

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtkOZO6ASY1kG6gCHaFNY

LITURGY OF THE HOURS

For The Church and The World

Universalis

Each location has its own calendar here

General Calendar - Lauds (Morning Prayer) http://universalis.com/lauds.htm

Edited by BarbaraTherese

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSocnaJw3pzD_Vhz9lxkul

“Prayer is helplessness casting itself on Power,

infirmity leaning on Strength,

misery reaching to Mercy,

and a prisoner clamoring for relief.” –Fulton J Sheen

2nd October 2018

Memorial - Guardian Angels

Cortona_Guardian_Angel_01.jpg

Daily Mass Online

Picture%20513.jpg

LITURGY OF THE HOURS

For The Church and The World

Universalis

Each location has its own calendar http://universalis.com/930/n-location.htm

If you cannot find your location on the above link,

use

The General Calendar, which is posted daily into this thread (link below)

General Calendar - Lauds (Morning Prayer) http://universalis.com/930/lauds.htm

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJlWpE7P32gQM4SXCU4Dv

The Holy Guardian Angels

http://universalis.com/today.htm The doctrine that every individual soul has a guardian angel has never been defined by the Church and so is not an article of faith, but is the “mind of the Church”, as expressed particularly by St Jerome and St Basil. it is present in both the Old and New Testaments. As Jesus says, See that you never despise any of these little ones, for I tell you that their angels in heaven always gaze on the face of my Father in heaven. Thus even little children have guardian angels, and these angels remain in the presence of God even as they fulfil their mission on earth.

Anciently, all angels were celebrated together on the feast of St Michael. A separate feast of the Guardian Angels began in Valencia in 1411. At the reform of the Breviary in the 16th century it was included among the local feasts, and it was raised to the status of a feast in the General Calendar in 1608, placed on the first free day after the feast of Saints Michael, Gabriel and Raphael.

One of the benefits of this feast is that it reminds us that God cares for us each, individually. We all know this in theory, but it is easy – in times of depression or temptation – to convince ourselves that we are too small to matter, for good or ill. Let us use this feast to remind ourselves that each of us has an angel of our very own looking after us; and also to pray to God forour own Guardian Angel. What a bore and a burden to them some of us are. May we one day be a cause of rejoicing for them also.

2nd October 2018

Today's Gospel

Matthew 18:1-5,10 

Anyone who welcomes a little child in my name welcomes me

The disciples came to Jesus and said, ‘Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?’ So he called a little child to him and set the child in front of them. Then he said, ‘I tell you solemnly, unless you change and become like little children you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. And so, the one who makes himself as little as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

‘Anyone who welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. See that you never despise any of these little ones, for I tell you that their angels in heaven are continually in the presence of my Father in heaven.’

Second Reading - Office of Readings - 2nd October 2018

From a sermon of St Bernard of Clairvaux

That they might guard you in all your ways

He has given his angels charge over you to guard you in all your ways. Let them thank the Lord for his mercy; his wonderful works are for the children of men. Let them give thanks and say among the nations, the Lord has done great things for them. O Lord, what is man that you have made yourself known to him, or why do you incline your heart to him? And you do incline your heart to him; you show him your care and your concern. Finally, you send your only Son and the grace of your Spirit, and promise him a vision of your countenance. And so, that nothing in heaven should be wanting in your concern for us, you send those blessed spirits to serve us, assigning them as our guardians and our teachers.

He has given his angels charge over you to guard you in all your ways.These words should fill you with respect, inspire devotion and instil confidence; respect for the presence of angels, devotion because of their loving service, and confidence because of their protection. And so the angels are here; they are at your side, they are with you, present on your behalf. They are here to protect you and to serve you. But even if it is God who has given them this charge, we must nonetheless be grateful to them for the great love with which they obey and come to help us in our great need.

So let us be devoted and grateful to such great protectors; let us return their love and honour them as much as we can and should. Yet all our love and honour must go to him, for it is from him that they receive all that makes them worthy of our love and respect.

We should then, my brothers, show our affection for the angels, for one day they will be our co-heirs just as here below they are our guardians and trustees appointed and set over us by the Father. We are God’s children although it does not seem so, because we are still but small children under guardians and trustees, and for the present little better than slaves.

Even though we are children and have a long, a very long and dangerous way to go, with such protectors what have we to fear? They who keep us in all our ways cannot be overpowered or led astray, much less lead us astray. They are loyal, prudent, powerful. Why then are we afraid? We have only to follow them, stay close to them, and we shall dwell under the protection of God’s heaven.

hqdefault.jpg

TWO PRAYERS

REQUESTED BY POPE FRANCIS

AT THE END OF THE ROSARY

We fly to thy patronage, O holy Mother of God; 
despise not our petitions in our necessities, 
but deliver us always from all dangers, 
O glorious and blessed Virgin.

Amen.

St. Michael the Archangel, 
defend us in battle. 
Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil. 
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, 
and do thou, 
O Prince of the heavenly hosts, 
by the power of God, 
thrust into hell Satan, 
and all the evil spirits, 
who prowl about the world 
seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen..