An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

2017_me_you_us_600_square.300x0.png

407. What is the common good?

By the common good is meant the sum total of those conditions of social life which allow people as groups and as individuals to reach their proper fulfillment.

Further reading: CCC 1905-1906,1924

408. What is involved in the common good?

The common good involves: respect for and promotion of the fundamental rights of the person, the development of the spiritual and temporal good of persons and society, and the peace and security of all.

Further reading: CCC 1907-1909, 1925

0904-624x468.png

---o0o---

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaHs2JBvw3OqYZh7I99rN

"I feel sure that most of us would affirm the statement that all 
good in us comes from God, but we must be very, very careful to 
really KNOW that, believe it utterly, with all our hearts. Lip-
service in this area can be dangerous. 

We are, truly, even the best of us, nothing more than unprofitable 
servants who have done only what was commanded. And, let us be 
truthful, few of us- myself included first in this failure- even do 
all that was commanded. Humility chimes in again!"

Br. Jerome, OSB
http://www.stmarysmonastery.org
Petersham, MA

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTfv0sm-RahJdK80jpWld

The Ascent of Mount Carmel, by St. John of the Cross

E. Allison Peers Translation. Paperback, Kindle, Audio Book.

Chapter 5

Wherein is described what is meant by union of the soul with God. A comparison is given.

2. Here I treat only of this permanent and total union according to the substance of the soul and its faculties with respect to the obscure habit of union: for with respect to the act, we shall explain later, with the Divine favour, how there can be no permanent union in the faculties, in this life, but a transitory union only. 

3. In order, then, to understand what is meant by this union whereof we are treating, it must be known that God dwells and is present substantially in every soul, even in that of the greatest sinner in the world. And this kind of union is ever wrought between God and all the creatures, for in it He is preserving their being: if union of this kind were to fail them, they would at once become annihilated and would cease to be. And so, when we speak of union of the soul with God, we speak not of this substantial union which is continually being wrought, but of the union and transformation of the soul with God, which is not being wrought continually, but only when there is produced that likeness that comes from love; we shall therefore term this the union of likeness, even as that other union is called substantial or essential. The former is natural, the latter supernatural. And the latter comes to pass when the two wills — namely that of the soul and that of God — are conformed together in one, and there is naught in the one that repugnant to the other. And thus, when the soul rids itself totally of that which is repugnant to the Divine will and conforms not with it, it is transformed in God through love.

0902-624x468.png

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiDLP5Y9XCKbmSKSak00S

Second Reading - Office of Readings

The Imitation of Christ

The Truth of the Lord endures for ever

You thunder your judgements upon me, O Lord; you shake all my bones with fear and dread, and my soul becomes severely frightened. I am bewildered when I realise that even the heavens are not pure in your sight.

If you discovered iniquity in the angels and did not spare them, what will become of me? The stars fell from heaven, and I, mere dust, what should I expect? Those whose works seemed praiseworthy fell to the depths, and I have seen those who once were fed with the bread of angels take comfort in the husks of swine.

There is no holiness where you have withdrawn your hand, O Lord; no profitable wisdom if you cease to rule over it; no helpful strength if you cease to preserve it. If you forsake us, we sink and perish; but if you visit us, we rise up and live again. We are unstable, but you make us firm; we grow cool, but you inflame us.

All superficial glory has been swallowed up in the depths of your judgement upon me.

What is all flesh in your sight? Can the clay be glorified in opposition to its Maker?

How can anyone be stirred by empty talk if his heart is subject in the truth to God?

If a man is subject to truth, possession of the whole world cannot swell him with pride; nor will he be swayed by the flattery of his admirers, if he has established all his trust in God.

For those who do nothing but talk amount to nothing; they fail with their din of words, but ‘the truth of the Lord endures for ever’.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKqqhEs9xUZ-J-amblhTE

Fun Quizzes:

c6a61c0ba7fa6034c129efcccdaf19c2.jpg

---o0o---

"If there be a true way that leads to the Everlasting Kingdom, it is most certainly that of suffering, patiently endured."

-- St. Colette

---O0O---

SPIRITUAL BURNOUT

Ever since the word was coined by a psychologist in the 1970s, "burnout" has found a prominent place in our vocabulary because we all experience it. Whether referring to exhaustion in our jobs, relationships, family responsibilities, the fast pace of today's world or the stress of juggling them all, burnout is a crippling reality.

The symptoms are well-known............"............read MORE on link

---o0o---

ONLINE DAILY MASS

from Australia

Thursday 6th September 2018

I am out early tomorrow (Thursday 6th September) for a fasting blood test with a dine out breakfast with my brother after.  We are then going shopping.  Finally, to have our haircuts - his daughter has a salon.  No idea when I will be back home.

Here is the link for the Online Daily Mass https://www.youtube.com/user/cathnews

---o0o---

DAILY REFLECTION VIDEO 

from USCCB

Wednesday and Thursday, 5th and 6th September 2018

(Being able to copy a link and post the videos is something more or less new to the site -  a few months more or less)

st-therese-of-lisieux-love-quotes-tops-i

UNABLE TO PRAY?

“…when I am incapable of praying…I seek little opportunities, mere trifles, to give pleasure to Jesus; for instance a smile, a pleasant word …I tell Him again and again that I love Him; that is not difficult and it keeps alive the fire in my heart. Even though this fire of love might seem extinct I would still throw little straws upon the embers and I am certain it would rekindle.” 

- St. Therese Lisieux, Letter to her sister, Celine

0906-624x468.png

0607-624x468.png

4b0a3c3e1efe87d7ba1e426838eac351.jpg

Edited by BarbaraTherese

0907-624x468.png

---o0o---

You must ask God to give you power to fight against the sin of pride which is your greatest enemy – the root of all that is evil, and the failure of all that is good. For God resists the proud.”
-St. Vincent de Paul

---o0o---

“Our Lord loves you and loves you tenderly;

and if He does not let you feel the sweetness of His love,

it is to make you more humble and abject

in your own eyes.”
-St. Pio of Pietrelcino

---o0o---

“Tribulation is a gift from God – one that he especially gives His special friends.”
-St. Thomas More