An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

0731-624x468.png

As I pray in the Hail Holy Queen, my journey could be through "this valley of tears" and I might be accompanied by much suffering in life.  I think the "disturbance and turmoil" St Ignatius refers to would have to be caused by something contrary to God's Will for Peace and tranquility to be absent and one unable to find them.  Of myself, I can do absolutely nothing "but for God all things are possible" (Matthew Ch19) and even in the midst of suffering and difficulty.

I think that I need to put the above quotation into a larger context to get an accurate perspective and attitude.  Real misunderstandings can occur through taking a quotation out of the overall context (which is why we have Scripture Scholars for one):

http://www.catholicstoreroom.com/category/quotes/quote-author/ignatius-of-loyola-1491-1556/page/18/

If you suffer much

Ignatius of Loyola (1491-1556), Page: Quotes, Sainthood, Suffering

If God causes you to suffer much, it is a sign that He has great designs for you, and that He certainly intends to make you a saint. And if you wish to become a great saint, entreat Him yourself to give you much opportunity for suffering; for there is no wood better to kindle the fire of holy love than the wood of the cross, which Christ used for His own great sacrifice of boundless charity.
–Saint Ignatius of Loyola (1491-1556)

In time of desolation

Ignatius of Loyola (1491-1556), Page: Quotes, Spiritual (life)

In time of desolation one should never make a change, but stand firm and consistent in the resolutions and decisions that guided one the days before the desolation, or to the decision which one observed in the preceding time of consolation. For just as the good spirit guides and rejoices us in consolation, so in desolation it is the evil spirit which guides and counsels.

God can mould us

Ignatius of Loyola (1491-1556), Page: Quotes, Spiritual (life)

A rough and unshapen log has no idea that it can be made into a statue that will be considered a masterpiece, but the carver sees what can be done with it. So many seem to know scarcely anything of the Christian life and do not understand that God can mould them into saints, until they put themselves into the hands of that almighty Artisan.

c2e9654216b2723f47aa4ab1c519edaf--someti

Well, the bottom has fallen out of my boat again.  My foster son and I have had words and so I will be going to Mass and home again each week by taxi.  But I know that The Lord has His Plans and I had mine, but they did not coincide and so my plans were not, therefore, feasible in the big picture. 

And it is The Lord and His big picture that always takes precedence. 

Going by the past, between my foster son and I things will eventually sort out and a waiting and praying time until they do.

---o0o---

ST THERESE

SPIRITUAL CHILDHOOD

Excerpt: "Love demands a fidelity that is centered round the countless mundane 'little' things of each day, things that are within everyone's power. We see that Therese is not advocating an easy solution. Heroism is not eliminated, rather it is brought within reach of the poor [person]. The torrent of love is channeled into ordinary everyday life. We are struck by the place held by 'all the smallest things' in Therese's program through which she wished to realize her dream to be love in the heart of the Church, these 'worthless petals' ... these 'nothings': a little sacrifice, a look, a word, a smile! . . . Sometimes the action is nothing more than faithful effort, the fact of having tried, the good will that is untiringly put into the journey: true bearers of love, but witnesses of imperfection and appeal to God's mercy.

In an essay entitled 'Ideas for a Theology of Childhood', Karl Rahner notes that childhood suggests openness. 'The mature childhood of the adult' signifies an openness in discipleship of Jesus Christ even though circumstances and experiences tempt us to close up, to withdraw. It is because of God's grace, God's 'self-bestowal' that remaining open to existence is possible. It seems to me that St Therese had made this point about childhood and discipleship through her own life and writing. 'Tout est grace' she had said, 'All is grace'. All of her experiences found their centre in a fundamental union of love of God and neighbour. She lived out this commitment in the midst of 'a dark tunnel' during the last year of her life and through her affliction and suffering. The child of her beginning had moved into the adult child of mature discipleship. Both phases were identified in the heart of love.  

Read whole text HERE

0801-624x468.png

---o0o---

"I have a capacity in my soul for taking in God entirely. I am as sure as I live that nothing is so near to me as God. God is nearer to me than I am to myself; my existence depends on the nearness and the presence of God."
    ... Meister Eckhart (1260?-1327?)

To me, Eckhart is speaking in the first sentence of the capacity or potential of the soul for Unity with God.  

3 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

To me, Eckhart is speaking in the first sentence of the capacity or potential of the soul for Unity with God.  

What I should have stated to make my thoughts clearer is that Eckhard meant that every soul has a capacity or potential for Unity with God.............an almost "goes without saying" :) 

COMMENTARY

ON LAST SUNDAY'S GOSPEL

http://www.scborromeo.org/biblestu/a_ot_17.pdf

[Jesus said to his disciples:] 44 “The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure buried in a field, which a person finds and hides again, Ever wonder how the treasure got there? In the ancient world there was always danger of invasion or plundering.

Many householders buried their savings in the hope of returning after the danger had passed. Some didn’t return. and out of joy goes and sells all that he has and buys that field. The kingdom of God is such a priceless treasure that a wise man would gladly give all for the chance to seize it; it is the chance of a lifetime. Half measures will not do for the kingdom of God. Jesus passes no judgment on the ethics of the finder, but uses his avarice as an example of the zeal with which the believer should pursue the reign at any price.

45 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant searching for fine pearls. 46 When he finds a pearl of great price, he goes and sells all that he has and buys it.

The pearl merchant similarly puts all his possessions in the one investment that he knows will repay him most handsomely.

47 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net thrown into the sea, which collects fish of every kind. 48 When it is full they haul it ashore and sit down to put what is good into buckets. What is bad they throw away. 49 Thus it will be at the end of the age. The angels will go out and separate the wicked from the righteous 50 and throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.

This parable is very close to the weeds and the wheat which we heard last week. The Church is not entirely a community of the elect; it has unfaithful members. God will tolerate such members in the Church as he tolerates them in the world at large; but the judgment will determine the final destiny of the righteous and the wicked.

51 “Do you understand all these things?” They answered, “Yes.”

In Matthew, understanding is a characteristic of a good disciple.

52 And he replied, “Then every scribe who has been instructed in the kingdom of heaven is like the head of a household who brings from his storeroom both the new and the old.”

The scribe who has become a disciple will employ both the old, the Law and the Prophets, and the new, the gospel. Neither is sufficient without the other; the gospel is the fulfillment of the Law and the Prophets.

0801-624x468.png

While sitting on the bank of a river one day, I picked up a solid round stone from the water and broke it open. It was perfectly dry in spite of the fact that it had been immersed in water for centuries. The same is true of many people in the Western world. For centuries they have been surrounded by Christianity; they live immersed in the waters of its benefits. And yet it has not penetrated their hearts; they do not love it. The fault is not in Christianity, but in human hearts, which have been hardened by materialism and intellectualism.
    ... Sadhu Sundar Singh (1889-1929)    

0803-624x468.png

---o0o---

There is an active discussion ongoing in Open Mic about Pope Francis and the death penalty.  HERE - Page 2 of 2I think I have stated what I wanted to state over in Open Mic.  I am putting this article from CathNews (Australian Catholic News) here.  I did think it was a pretty good and quite brief summary:

Pope changes Church stance on death penalty

Published: 03 August 2018

Pope Francis (CNS/Ciro Fusco, EPA)

Pope Francis has ordered a revision of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, asserting that “the death penalty is inadmissible because it is an attack on the inviolability and dignity of the person”. Source: The Tablet.

He has committed the Church to working for its abolition worldwide.

The catechism’s paragraph on capital punishment, 2267, had already been updated by St John Paul II in 1997 to strengthen its scepticism about the need to use the death penalty in the modern world and, particularly, to affirm the importance of protecting all human life.

The latest change builds on the development of Church teaching against capital punishment.

Announcing the change yesterday, Cardinal Luis Ladaria, prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, said: “The new text, following in the footsteps of the teaching of John Paul II in Evangelium Vitae, affirms that ending the life of a criminal as punishment for a crime is inadmissible because it attacks the dignity of the person, a dignity that is not lost even after having committed the most serious crimes.”

Evangelium Vitae (The Gospel of Life) was St John Paul’s 1995 encyclical letter on the dignity and sacredness of all human life.

The catechism now will read: “Recourse to the death penalty on the part of legitimate authority, following a fair trial, was long considered an appropriate response to the gravity of certain crimes and an acceptable, albeit extreme, means of safeguarding the common good.

“Today, however, there is an increasing awareness that the dignity of the person is not lost even after the commission of very serious crimes. In addition, a new understanding has emerged of the significance of penal sanctions imposed by the state. Lastly, more effective systems of detention have been developed, which ensure the due protection of citizens but, at the same time, do not definitively deprive the guilty of the possibility of redemption,” the new section continues.

Pope Francis’ change to the text concludes: “Consequently, the Church teaches, in the light of the Gospel, that ‘the death penalty is inadmissible because it is an attack on the inviolability and dignity of the person,’ and she works with determination for its abolition worldwide.”

http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/

Sometimes, the commentary on the Benedictine Rule by Br. Jerome Leo (St Mary's Monastery) is not really applicable to those of us labouring out here in the secular world, but sometimes, he really hits the button for us out here.  This is one of those really good commentaries:

Would to God that the oratories of our hearts were as easy to keep
clean as those of our monasteries! Having been sacristan, in my
youth, of the large and lovely Abbey Church at St. Leo, FL, I can
assure you that Benedictines tend to be very good about this part of
the Holy Rule. One usually gets a Church in good condition and it is
not too hard to keep it that way. In fact, doing so was only one of
my several charges at the time!

Ah, but those oratories of our hearts! How easily they can get cluttered
and more or less stay that way! God alone knows how many times I have
written books or articles, essays or posts in mid-prayer, how many
times I have "capably and completely" reformed Order or monastery,
Church, liturgy or world! I certainly hope He isn't counting too
closely, and I have a fairly good feeling that He isn't. One of the
Desert Fathers said that, if God counts distractions in psalmody, no one
could be saved!

Calm down! The Divine Aim of our poor hearts is their Author and
Maker. Better than anyone and FAR better than ourselves, He knows the
limitations of His creations! How often God must be like a tender and
loving and delighted mother who tries with all her might to keep from
laughing at a child's graceless attempts at being exquisite grace.

Truly, in many a stumbling child there is GREAT poetry in motion, but
not at all in the way that the child THINKS there is! So it is with
God and ourselves. Relax, therefore, and rejoice! Again I say,
rejoice!

The great and merciful God flat out delights in our clumsy efforts
and knows from the start that we shall be far more like funny home
videos than the best and most tasteful films ever produced. Funny how
we often lack the humility to see that ourselves! If we seek to gain
it, Satan, who loves to see us despondent and discouraged, will be
trounced but good.

It is our efforts which delight God, not our results. He knows that
the results we seek are far beyond many of us. The more clearly we
come to know that, the more adequate our sense of our own abject
poverty of skills, the greater our peace shall be. And in that peace
we shall find God, the loving parent on Whose long-suffering insteps
we tiptoe and dance, in Whose tender arms we swoon like children
dreaming of a grand ballroom with mirrors!

commongood-title.png?sfvrsn=7e0d938e_2

Why does He make our hearts so strangely still, 
        Why stands He forth so stately and so tall?
   Because He has no self to serve, no will 
        That does not seek the welfare of the All.
    ... Edwin Markham (1852-1940)

The gifts and blessings The Lord may bestow on one person, are gifted for the good of all, for the good of The Church and of all creation - mystery.

Theology Note

Forgiveness

There are seven words in Scripture that denote the idea of forgiveness: three in Hebrew and four in Greek. No book of religion except Christianity teaches that God completely forgives sins. God remembers our sins no more (Heb. 10:17). God is the initiator of forgiveness (Col.2:13).

There is only one sin for which the Father does not promise forgiveness: blasphemy against the Holy Spirit (Mark 3:28; Matt. 12:32). The contexts suggest this to be the sin of attributing to unclean spirits the work of the Holy Spirit.

For an individual to receive forgiveness, repentance is necessary (Luke 17:3-4)

(Dominican Sisters of Peace - Shalom Place)

tenor.gif?itemid=4605095

My priest religious SD and Confessor passed away on 31st July last.  I have only just found out and am really going to miss him and am a bit in shock I think.  Silence has intensified and every sound seems magnified and due to shock just now I think - I only saw him on 17th July when he seemed fighting fit. So much seems to be changing in my life so quickly.  It is a matter of walking on in daily life with whatever unfolds knowing that The Lord has all in hand.

Please say a prayer for Father, although I am convinced he is in Heaven.

a138c05b849d6f5e13deb904c6a2a5bb.jpg

May the Spirit of God help you to give of yourself as recklessly for the cause of Christ throughout the whole world as God “recklessly” gave His Son, Jesus Christ.
    ... Bob Pierce, founder and president, World Vision

0604-624x468.png

http://www.integratedcatholiclife.org/2012/03/ask-a-carmelite-how-to-overcome-worry-trust-in-gods-providence/

Trusting in God’s Providence
A letter from Mother Luisita (de-coded)

My beloved child,

How good our God is, always watching over His children!

We should rest entirely in His hands, understanding that His eyes are always upon us, that He will see to it that we lack nothing and grant us anything that we need, if it is for our own good. Let Our Lord do with you whatever He wants. Let Him mold your soul in whatever way is pleasing to Him. Try to be at peace within your soul, freeing yourself from fear and worry and allowing yourself to be guided by your spiritual director.

With all my heart, I am praying for this intention for you that God will grant your soul many blessings. This is my greatest desire for you – that these blessings, like the valuable rain, will help the seeds of those virtues most pleasing to of God our Lord to germinate within your soul, embellishing it with virtue. Let us rid ourselves of those tinsel-like virtues that shine but at the least touch fall apart. Our holy Mother St. Teresa taught us to be as strong as oak trees, not like straw that is always knocked down by the wind. I have as much concern for your soul as I do for my own (I think I am saying too much), but it is a reality – I am deeply concerned in an extraordinary way for you.

My child, try to see all things as coming from God. Receive everything that happens with serenity. Humble yourself, asking Him to do everything for you and continue working with tranquility for the good of your own soul which is the most urgent thing for you to do. Look to God, your soul, and eternity, and for all the rest, do not preoccupy yourself.

For greater things you were born.

God will provide for all of our needs. Let us trust that we will receive all from Him who loves us so much and is always watching over us!

As you try to see all things as coming from the hand of God, adore His designs. I would like to see you have more trust in Divine Providence. Otherwise, you will be suffering many disappointments and your projects will meet with failure. Trust, my child, only in God. Everything human is changeable and the one who is for you today will be against you tomorrow. You see how good our God is! We should have more confidence in Him every day and have recourse to prayer, not permitting anything to discourage us or make us sad. He has given me so much confidence in His Divine Will that I leave everything in His hands and I am at peace.

My beloved child, let us praise God in everything because all that happens is for our own good. Try to fulfill your duties the best you can and for God alone and always remain happy and serene in all the tribulations of life. As for me, I have placed all in the hands of God and I have been successful. We have to learn to detach ourselves a little, trust in God alone, and do God’s holy will with joy. How beautiful it is to be in the Hands of God, searching His Divine Gaze in readiness to do whatever He wishes.

Good-bye, my child, and receive a loving embrace from your mother who wishes to see you.

Mother Luisita

The LORD said to Moses:

"Speak to Aaron and his sons and tell them: This is how you shall bless the Israelites. Say to them:

24 The LORD bless you and keep you!  The LORD let his face shine upon you, and be gracious to you!

The LORD look upon you kindly and give you peace!

(Numbers Chapter 6)

History of The Silver Scrolls of Israel, containing the Numbers Priestly Blessing: http://www.biblearchaeology.org/post/2010/01/06/The-Blessing-of-the-Silver-Scrolls.aspx#Article

Silver-scroll-amulets.jpg

Commented the late archaeologist Kathleen Kenyon:

This is now the earliest occurrence of a Biblical text in an extra-Biblical document, significantly predating the earliest of the Dead Sea Scrolls. It is also the oldest extra-Biblical reference to YHWH, the God of Israel (1987: 124; cf. King and Stager 2001: 306).

Time magazine, reporting on the find, stated that this discovery suggests that at least part of the Old Testament was written soon after some of the events it describes (Lemonick 1995: 65)...The discovery made it clear that parts of the Old Testament were being copied long before some skeptics had believed they were even written (ibid., 67).

Read MORE on the above link