An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

2f7e34effd79c5505667c880ef012c0d.jpg

A very lengthy  (but excellent text for a few reasons) from the Catholic Culture Libraray.

https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?recnum=594

Mystics Prophets & Seers

Author: Father Feliz Bourdier, TODC

DESCRIPTION

Drawing from the works of the saints and other authorities, Fr. Bourdier outlines the rules for the discernment of ordinary and extraordinary phenomena in the spiritual life.

PUBLISHER & DATE

Augustine Publishing Co., 1988

CONTENTS

Introduction

Rules for Discerning Ordinary Phenomena in the Spiritual Life, such as Consolations, Desolations and Inspirations

1 What are the spirits we seek to discern?

2 What action do they exercise?

3 Why is it necessary to have rules for the discernment of spirits?

4 What are the signs and effects of the good spirit?

5 What are the signs and effects of the bad spirit?

6 What should one do in consolations movements of the good spirit?

7 What should one do in desolation and movements of the bad spirit?

II   Rules for the Approbation of Extraordinary Phenomena of the Spiritual Life (Visions, Apparitions, Revelations, Messages, Missions, Prophecies)

1 Resume of the rules of approbation

2 The doctrinal foundation of these rules, in the case of seers.

3 The doctrinal foundation of these rules, in the case of the faithful.

III   Rules for the Discernment of Extraordinary Phenomena in the Spiritual Life

1 Five causes of error

2 The five causes of a false message

3 Study whether the person gives divine signs

4 Study the person himself

5 Study the revelation itself

6 Is stigmatisation a divine sign?

7 Study the effects produced by the revelation

Of all the movements, sensations and feelings of the soul, love is the only one in which the creature can respond to the Creator and make some sort of similar return, however unequal it may be. For when God loves, all he desires is to be loved in return; the sole purpose of his love is to be loved, in the knowledge that those who love him are made happy by their love of him.
    ... St. Bernard of Clairvaux

0823-624x468.png

0824-624x468.png

O Lord our God, grant us grace to desire Thee with our whole heart; that, so desiring, we may seek, and seeking find Thee; and so finding Thee may love Thee; and loving Thee, may hate those sins from which Thou hast redeemed us.
    ... St. Anselm (1033-1109)

Daily Mass

Friday 24th August 2018

St Francis Xavier, Lavender Bay (Our Lady of the Way)

Australia - New South Wales

https://www.youtube.com/user/cathnews (Subscription is in right hand margin)

A spiritual Holy Communion "Dear Jesus, since I cannot now receive you sacramentally, please come into my heart spiritually and remain with me forever.  Amen"

0825-624x468.png

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrLO4oalDdQKHGmm-5W2Z

Saint Anthony of Padua (c.1195-1231)
Franciscan, Doctor of the Church
Sermons

"They preach but they do not practice"

Someone who is filled with the Holy Spirit speaks different languages (Acts 2:4). These different languages are differing testimonies to Christ, such as humility, poverty, patience and obedience. We speak them when, in practicing them ourselves, we show them to others. The word is alive when it is our actions that speak. Please, I beg you, let words be silenced and actions speak! We are full of words but empty of deeds, and because of this the Lord curses us just as he cursed the fig tree on which he found no fruit but only leaves (Mk 11:13f.). Saint Gregory says that: “The Law has been made known to the preacher so that he might practice what he preaches.” A person who spoils his teaching by his deeds is wasting his time spreading knowledge of the law.

But the apostles spoke according to the Spirit’s gift. Happy are those who speak according to the Spirit’s gift and not according to their own feelings… So let us speak as the Spirit gives us utterance. Let us humbly and devoutly ask him to shed his grace within us.

0826-624x468.png

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUePX3sM4HSvMiYV5Z5Yi

"...trusting in the help of God." Trust can be unspeakably hard,
and is made the more so by the many times humans and history have
betrayed our trust. We become fearful and wary after many human
hurts. Unfortunately, this impedes our ability to trust even God,
Who is incapable of betraying us. He will never, ever abandon us.

St. Faustina said that even if the ground beneath her feet were to
drop away, she would still trust Him. That's a way off for most of
us, but a worthy goal which we should long to achieve. Trust like
that is the herald of great sanctity. And great sanctity is our
call!
Jerome, OSB
www.stmarysmonastery.org

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQPJzCoaK7lh3zl2r-MLg

15 Promises of Our Lady

for those who Pray her Rosary

https://www.catholiccompany.com/getfed/15-promises-to-christians-who-pray-the-rosary/

Our Lady revealed the following promises to St. Dominic (the saint to whom the rosary was first given in the 12th century) and later to Blessed Alan de la Roche (who reignited devotion to the rosary in the 15th century).

See also The Spot Where Our Lady Gave the Rosary to St.Dominic https://www.catholiccompany.com/getfed/spot-where-mary-gave-rosary-to-st-dominic/

1. Whosoever shall faithfully serve me by the recitation of the Rosary shall receive signal graces.[A signal grace may be a simple sign in daily life that answers a question made in prayer or points towards God’s will. For example, seeing a rose after finishing a novena to St. Therese of Lisieux could be considered a signal grace. Signal graces are often subtle or seemingly coincidental.]

2. I promise my special protection and the greatest graces to all those who shall recite the Rosary.

3. The Rosary shall be a powerful armor against hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin and defeat heresies.

4. It will cause good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercy of God; it will withdraw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire for Eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means!

5. The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the Rosary shall not perish.[In other words, anyone who faithfully prays the Rosary and asks for Mary’s intercession will be saved from hell.]

6. Whosoever shall recite the Rosary devoutly, applying himself to the consideration of its Sacred Mysteries, shall never be conquered by misfortune. God will not chastise him in His justice, he shall not perish by an unprovided death; if he be just he shall remain in the grace of God, and become worthy of Eternal Life.[An unprovided death means dying while not in a state of grace (that is, in dying with unconfessed mortal sin in the soul). The Blessed Mother promises that anyone who regularly prays the Rosary, and earnestly tries to live according to God’s will, will be spiritually prepared when their time of death comes.]

7. Whoever shall have a true devotion for the Rosary shall not die without the Sacraments of the Church.[Our Lady ensures that the soul will receive sanctifying grace through the Sacraments prior to its departure from the body.]

8. Those who are faithful to recite the Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the Light of God and the plenitude of His Graces; at the moment of death they shall participate in the Merits of the Saints in Paradise.

9. I shall deliver from purgatory those who have been devoted to the Rosary.

10. The faithful children of the Rosary shall merit a high degree of Glory in Heaven.

11. You shall obtain all you ask of me by recitation of the Rosary.

12. All those who propagate the Holy Rosary shall be aided by me in their necessities.

13. I have obtained from my Divine Son that all the advocates of the Rosary shall have for intercessors the entire Celestial Court during their life and at the hour of death.

14. All who recite the Rosary are my Sons, and brothers of my Only Son Jesus Christ.

15. Devotion to my Rosary is a great sign of predestination.[By this the Blessed Mother means that a devotion to the Rosary is a good indication that the devotee is on the path to Heaven.]

. . .

0827-624x468.png

St Vincent de Paul Society

Vincent's Quote of the Day

We are poor people more liable to turn aside His blessings

than to draw them down (III:275).