An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

41DJQs2ZGxL.jpg

"Faith and The Future"

Kindle - $16.44

Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger (Author)

Increasingly, the future is becoming a theme for theological reflection. In the background we can detect a growing concern among many people for the future of faith. Does faith have any future at all, and, if so, where in all the confusion of today's trends will we discover its embryo?

But the problem of the future assails not only the believer. In the ever more rapidly advancing process of historical evolution, man is confronted with enormous opportunities, but also with colossal perils. For him, the future is not only hope, but sorrow—a nightmare, indeed. He cannot avoid asking what part faith can play in building tomorrow's world.

Joseph Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict XVI, approaches this problem of universal concern from a variety of angles, bringing his deep personal faith and theological brilliance to bear on these serious questions.

Excerpt "Faith and The Future" https://www.catholiceducation.org/en/religion-and-philosophy/spiritual-life/the-church-will-become-small.html

The church will become small

CARDINAL JOSEPH RATZINGER

The church will become small and will have to start afresh more or less from the beginning. She will no longer be able to inhabit many of the edifices she built in prosperity. As the number of her adherents diminishes . . . she will lose many of her social privileges. . . As a small society, [the Church] will make much bigger demands on the initiative of her individual members....

It will be hard-going for the Church, for the process of crystallization and clarification will cost her much valuable energy. It will make her poor and cause her to become the Church of the meek . . . The process will be long and wearisome as was the road from the false progressivism on the eve of the French Revolution — when a bishop might be thought smart if he made fun of dogmas and even insinuated that the existence of God was by no means certain . . . But when the trial of this sifting is past, a great power will flow from a more spiritualized and simplified Church. Men in a totally planned world will find themselves unspeakably lonely. If they have completely lost sight of God, they will feel the whole horror of their poverty. Then they will discover the little flock of believers as something wholly new. They will discover it as a hope that is meant for them, an answer for which they have always been searching in secret.

And so it seems certain to me that the Church is facing very hard times. The real crisis has scarcely begun. We will have to count on terrific upheavals. But I am equally certain about what will remain at the end: not the Church of the political cult, which is dead already, but the Church of faith. She may well no longer be the dominant social power to the extent that she was until recently; but she will enjoy a fresh blossoming and be seen as man's home, where he will find life and hope beyond death.

cartoon-confused-old-woman-expression-ve

Just paid what I thought would be $49 something, but when converted cost me $62.91 for a year's subscription to WordPress.com.  My hope is that since I have paid for it, I will make the effort to learn about how to write a blog...........but success or failure remains to be seen.  St Francis de Sales, please say a prayer for me.  At this point, I feel as if I have bought something while blindfolded.  And then on taking the blindfold off, I have no idea what I have bought :(

Machine_Washable
17 minutes ago, BarbaraTherese said:

cartoon-confused-old-woman-expression-ve

Just paid what I thought would be $49 something, but when converted cost me $62.91 for a year's subscription to WordPress.com.  My hope is that since I have paid for it, I will make the effort to learn about how to write a blog...........but success or failure remains to be seen.  St Francis de Sales, please say a prayer for me.  At this point, I feel as if I have bought something while blindfolded.  And then on taking the blindfold off, I have no idea what I have bought :(

I don’t work with Wordpress. But listening to people who have I believe it is essentially a more robust platform for making webpages without having to do the coding yourself. If you can do some coding you can get some additional functionality. A company I worked for used Wordpress before we just built our own website from scratch. If you only want to blog it may be overpowered. But if you want to blog and also maybe have some additional functionality it is probably a good choice. 

business-commerce-typist-secretary-recep

Thanks heaps for the input, MW.   I am afraid, however, that you are addressing a complete and total technology dummy and even that would be a compliment.  I think that I have probably wasted $62 odd dollars, although I will let it hang for 12 months since I have already paid for 12 months.  I never know what is around that next corner and I just might learn a few things about computers...........ah well, I cannot really say that I don't believe in miracles for myself.   St Francis de Sales please help me with your prayer.

I tried to at least set up a blog on WordPress but I don't even know if I have done that. rotfl

I am now 75 years of age and I rejoice totally that I am into the final leg of my journey............I hope!  This computerized world has become far too complex for me, far too complex.  I am a fast and accurate typist but there all stops completely.

But again, thank you, MW, for trying to help me out.  I really am grateful. :) 

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Machine_Washable
4 minutes ago, BarbaraTherese said:

business-commerce-typist-secretary-recep

Thanks heaps for the input, MW.   I am afraid, however, that you are addressing a complete and total technology dummy and even that would be a compliment.  I think that I have probably wasted $62 odd dollars, although I will let it hang for 12 months since I have already paid for 12 months.  I never know what is around that next corner and I just might learn a few things about computers...........ah well, I cannot really say that I don't believe in miracles for myself.   St Francis de Sales please help me with your prayer.

I tried to at least set up a blog on WordPress but I don't even know if I have done that. rotfl

I am now 75 years of age and I rejoice totally that I am into the final leg of my journey............I hope!  This computerized world has become far too complex for me, far too complex.  I am a fast and accurate typist but there all stops completely.

But again, thank you, MW, for trying to help me out.  I really am grateful. :) 

My pleasure. We are all beginners at some point. Just remember that. Go to YouTube and type in “Wordpress beginner” and watch some videos.  Remember that at one point  whoever is doing the video didn’t know any more than you do now. 

Websites are built using computer code. If you know coding you can make a website do just about anything you want. A platform like Wordpress allows you to build a website without having to know how to code. The trade off is that you have less flexibility than you would if you coded it yourself. 

That is my understanding of Wordpress. If that sounds confusing that’s because I’m not very good at explaining things. It’s not a limit on your part. Watch some videos. Tinker around in it. If it seems overwhelming that’s ok. Don’t feel bad about having to step away for a day and come back to it. 

Thank you for the advice.  I will take a break for a day or two and then go back - having paid for 12 months, I am determined to use it.  With any luck and God's Blessing practice might make good enough to get by. :wave:

Machine_Washable
27 minutes ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Thank you for the advice.  I will take a break for a day or two and then go back - having paid for 12 months, I am determined to use it.  With any luck and God's Blessing practice might make good enough to get by. :wave:

May you be successful. Inshallah  

CwL31ZnWEAEBhqW.jpg

Well, I THINK, THINK, I have cancelled WordPress with something of a refund.  I hope so!  It has been a dreadful experience, almost as dreadful as giving Facebook a try.  Hence I am going to stay with Phatmass and after I take my cat to the vet (she has got very skinny) and look at my bank balance and budget look at increasing my monthly donation.

I will keep checking back with WordPress and make sure my account is indeed cancelled.  I check my bank daily, so I should quickly pick up if they deduct anything from my account.  Joining up with these sites is so easy, getting right out of them and cancelling for good is the difficult part and they know it, I am sure - very sure.

It cost me a few dollars to learn, I HOPE, my lesson!   St Isadore please pray for me.  https://www.up.edu/garaventa/did-you-know/internet-patron-saints.html#:~:text=John Paul II named St,the internet came to be., especially that I have indeed completely cancelled WordPress.  It has taken me almost hour and half to work out how to cancel completely.  If there was a word for less than a computer dummy, that's me. 

Thank you, again, ML for your advice.  Blogs and Facebook, Twitter etc. are just not my place to be, my endroit pour être.

Peace be to you and to yours :) 

Machine_Washable
6 minutes ago, BarbaraTherese said:

CwL31ZnWEAEBhqW.jpg

Well, I THINK, THINK, I have cancelled WordPress with something of a refund.  I hope so!  It has been a dreadful experience, almost as dreadful as giving Facebook a try.  Hence I am going to stay with Phatmass and after I take my cat to the vet (she has got very skinny) and look at my bank balance and budget look at increasing my monthly donation.

I will keep checking back with WordPress and make sure my account is indeed cancelled.  I check my bank daily, so I should quickly pick up if they deduct anything from my account.  Joining up with these sites is so easy, getting right out of them and cancelling for good is the difficult part and they know it, I am sure - very sure.

It cost me a few dollars to learn, I HOPE, my lesson!   St Isadore please pray for me.  https://www.up.edu/garaventa/did-you-know/internet-patron-saints.html#:~:text=John Paul II named St,the internet came to be., especially that I have indeed completely cancelled WordPress.  It has taken me almost hour and half to work out how to cancel completely.  If there was a word for less than a computer dummy, that's me. 

Thank you, again, ML for your advice.  Blogs and Facebook, Twitter etc. are just not my place to be, my endroit pour être.

Peace be to you and to yours :) 

Alhumdulillah. I’m glad it worked out for you! But I hope it won’t dissuade you from trying new things in the future. 

81568226a1abe30c932e6627de773919.jpg

Thank you again, MW - you have been very kind and patient.

I am discouraged I am a bit sad to state, and have abandoned thoughts of attempting the new on the internet.  My old ways get me by and keep me free, by and large, of problems.  I checked my email and WordPress have acknowledged via email that my account with them is cancelled.  That is a big relief!  Also, I always check my bank daily sometimes more than once.  I thought I had paid WordPress through PayPal, but when the payment went through, they had my debit card details - and that was a bit of a worry, but my long time habit over years of checking my bank daily has kept me free of any problems in that direction.

I am a long term (years again) buyer on EBay and have never had one single problem.  In fact, EBay and PayPal have been a great partnership for me.  Also, I am very careful to research the item(s) and seller as much as possible before buying on EBay.  It has saved me a lot of dollars over the years, many dollars indeed.  If one is careful, I do not find to date any problems at all buying on EBay.   I am a disabled pensioner, and buying disability aids from suppliers can at times be around $100 or more cheaper on Ebay - and again, no problems at all with goods supplied.  I most often too get postage free.

Peace be to you and to yours.....and thank you again for staying in the WordPress issue with me............Barb :) 

Edit:  I will be reviewing my monthly Phatmass subscription.  I am also a sufferer of bipolar disorder and I cannot praise Phatmass enough for the support, even a loyal  friend, it has been for me over the years.  Phatmass as a site, with Phamers as membership, is now a very important part of my bipolar support system, acknowledged by my psychiatrist (whom I see voluntarily through my own choice).

stairway-to-heaven.jpg?w=725&h=510&crop=

I have increased my donation monthly to Phatmass.  I would be lost without it, really and truly and honestly LOST in the cold bleak dark miasma of the lost bottomless pit of bipolar!...........yep, it is that bad and worse.

But I am just ducking back in here to say a big thank you to St Isadore for his intercession for me and to The Lord for hearing his prayer for me - re the WordPress problem that is now not a problem at all.  I must always, too, thank Our Lady who has me under her mantle ever watching over me, powerful in her intercession never ceasing.  The Holy Spirit too, our most powerful of all constant never ceasing advocate in Heaven.  Amen.

I am thankful too to MW - @Machine_Washable- once again - he has been my human support in my confusions over WordPress.  We are not body and a soul, we are body and soul in full and total partnership - hence human support (short of the miraculous as always) is as important as our constant spiritual support from Heaven.  As long as we live on this earth, body will not function without the soul as our soul will not function without our body.  This is not simply as things are, but how God has created each one of us and in order to fulfill His Plan.  Hence we must value both body and soul.  As St Paul says "know you not that you are Temples of The Spirit".

I do not have the time nor patience to sweat over what I have written hoping I have made sense :blink:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5NfxNbmCifz9pyNmR0a9