An Old School Catholic Message Board

Making Out

tinytherese

PhuturePriest

Everything ok thus far ... but just a gentle reminder to watch what is said(written) and how explicit it is.  Remember that there are a lot of minors on the phorum :).

Let's not forget the fact that making out can lead to Edited by moderator.

Honestly, I really don't see the harm in making out.  I have done it before and it has not resulted in me having sex with the girl I'm kissing.  Making out is an acceptable form of physical expression that is not banned in the bible.

Let's not forget the fact that making out can lead to Edited by moderator.

The only rightful place for Edited by moderator is in Catholic marriage with an openness for having many children

My advice is: emotional intimacy leads to temptation to physical intimacy. only date when you are, in all practical respects, ready to get married and havce kids. yopu have finished school, have a job, live on your own etc.. the only proper reason for dating is looking for a husband/wife. not haveing a boy/girlfriend to look cool at school. then, dating should not be for fun only, it is for dicserning if they are the right spose. spend time with each others families, and in public. and in church. if you spend less time alone there will be less temtation to want to get hot and heavy Edited by moderator. Then re-evaluate after about 6 - 12 months. if you want to marry, seek a priest. if you dont want to marry, then go your sepateate ways. no need to prolong for many yewars, that will lead to sin and is a waste of time.

PhuturePriest

The only rightful place for Edited by moderator is in Catholic marriage with an openness for having many children

My advice is: emotional intimacy leads to temptation to physical intimacy. only date when you are, in all practical respects, ready to get married and havce kids. yopu have finished school, have a job, live on your own etc.. the only proper reason for dating is looking for a husband/wife. not haveing a boy/girlfriend to look cool at school. then, dating should not be for fun only, it is for dicserning if they are the right spose. spend time with each others families, and in public. and in church. if you spend less time alone there will be less temtation to want to get hot and heavy Edited by moderator. Then re-evaluate after about 6 - 12 months. if you want to marry, seek a priest. if you dont want to marry, then go your sepateate ways. no need to prolong for many yewars, that will lead to sin and is a waste of time.

I know many wonderful marriages that started as relationships in freshman year at college. Only dating when you have a job would mean that none of those marriages would have happened, so I think that's kind of a ridiculous rule.

MarysLittleFlower

I heard in a sermon that a Pope condemned the view that passionate kissing is only venially sinful for the unmarried.

Which means he was saying it's a mortal sin.

So.. I think my view is pretty clear on this :)

as for men not proposing to women if they haven't kissed them... that's not all men, only those who don't have this value. Those who do, would propose before kissing their girlfriend and this is something that could be discussed in a relationship as well.

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

PhuturePriest

Honestly, I really don't see the harm in making out.  I have done it before and it has not resulted in me having sex with the girl I'm kissing.  Making out is an acceptable form of physical expression that is not banned in the bible.

Just because something isn't explicitly banned in the Bible it doesn't mean it's not bad. Masturbation is never talked about in the Bible, but we still hold it as a mortal sin. I'm not comparing making out to masturbation, but I do disagree with the premise that just because something isn't talked about in the Bible we're free to do it. The Bible is not a necessity. It's a nice thing to have, but we rely on the Church and the infallibility of the Pope on moral matters. The Bible is simply a really, really nice bonus for us to have. We don't technically need it.

Sadly I think the poster who remarked about "chaste peck only" guys having problems with their sexuality is close to the mark. Not all but many that I've met. Maybe because they do tend to come from unusual subcultures.

I was a huge maker - outer. Not that I made out with every guy I went on a date with but my husband and I dated for 2 years. We were adults though so I think what Missy said about age making a difference is spot on. Probably not a great idea if you are an inexperienced person. But still, somehow the concept of a guy who never even once picks up the woman he loves in his arms and shares a passionate kiss with her. - I feel like there might be something wrong there.

abrideofChrist

Consecrated virgin here, dropping in.  CVs naturally need to know how to preserve their virginity and not fall into sins of impurity.  This article on EWTN might be of help for everyone because it explains how arousing activities are not to be done outside of marriage:  http://www.ewtn.com/library/FAMILY/PARENT.TXT

I'd suggest reading the whole thing because it's very good but in the meantime, here's part of a paragraph from it:

Finally, if and 
when an adolescent refuses to recognize the danger to himself or 
another (the latter is sometimes more difficult to see), parents 
must indicate the reason behind training in modesty. "These 
attractive parts of the body are used in the preliminaries of the 
marriage act (or, the act from which children come). Since you 
are not married, you have no right to either the marriage act or 
to the preliminaries. So be sensible, guard your eyes, refuse to 
follow the fashion of nudity, of petting, passionate kissing, 
etc., for all these things have the same reasons against them."
Edited by abrideofChrist

Consecrated virgin here, dropping in. CVs naturally need to know how to preserve their virginity and not fall into sins of impurity.

Errr..... I certainly hope that CVs don't need to know too much on this topic. Since for them even going on a date and/or courting, even chastely, is probably a mortal sin. That would be rather disturbing...

Errr..... I certainly hope that CVs don't need to know too much on this topic. Since for them even going on a date and/or courting, even chastely, is probably a mortal sin. That would be rather disturbing...

….let them remain ignorant? 

PhuturePriest

I've heard of worse.

Ok. So sweeping a girl up in your arms and kissing her after a long separation or a big promotion or something ... is different from a couple routinely going out for pizza and a make-out sesh afterwards.

My favorite Father used to say that "gentle kissing" was okay.  Passionate kissing - like eat the other persons face kissing - not okay.

Deliberately doing something to cause sexual arousal in another person whose not your husband -- this seems like a no brainer to me.  I think passionate necking is typically enough to cause occasion to sin sexual arousal in normal, sexually integrated people.

southern california guy

Sorry the first time I saw the post about the "consecrated virgin" my mind read it as "consummated virgin"..  I had to take a second look to read it correctly.

Edited by southern california guy