An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Do I Know If There's A God?

Fidei Defensor

If life will be ended or (cease to exist) after you leave this world then, your principle is correct. Do you think nothing that is within you will not go on to live (after you die)?

I believe we cease to exist as a person or self aware entity after we die. Feel free to believe otherwise, it's a possibility. Regardless, we exist now as a part of humanity and do matter to ourselves and others in this existence.

I believe we cease to exist as a person or self aware entity after we die. Feel free to believe otherwise, it's a possibility. Regardless, we exist now as a part of humanity and do matter to ourselves and others in this existence.

(Again, I will repeat myself) There is really nothing wrong in your principle regarding: we exist now as a part of humanity and do matter to ourselves and others in this existence'. Actually, it is a welcome principle to me, and that is the reason why I said  â€˜If life will be ended or (cease to exist) after you leave this world then, your principle is correct .

But I have some issues in your kind of belief. If what you believe is true then, you must be very lucky because, there will be no more punishment (after you die) since you do not have 'self awareness'. 

Now, can you please share to us how do you know that we will cease to exist after we die? 

Edited by reyb

(Again, I will repeat myself) There is really nothing wrong in your principle regarding: we exist now as a part of humanity and do matter to ourselves and others in this existence'. Actually, it is a welcome principle to me, and that is the reason why I said ‘If life will be ended or (cease to exist) after you leave this world then, your principle is correct .

But I have some issues in your kind of belief. If what you believe is true then, you must be very lucky because, there will be no more punishment (after you die) since you do not have 'self awareness'.

Now, can you please share to us how do you know that we will cease to exist after we die?

As has been pointed out in this thread, thre is no "knowing" there is a god or existence in an after life. We Live in our present existence. Hope in an after life is merely egotism.

southern california guy

(Again, I will repeat myself) There is really nothing wrong in your principle regarding: we exist now as a part of humanity and do matter to ourselves and others in this existence'. Actually, it is a welcome principle to me, and that is the reason why I said ‘If life will be ended or (cease to exist) after you leave this world then, your principle is correct .

I would like to believe that I will continue on in some way after death. But to be totally honest I don't think that is the case. And I don't think that my belief or lack of belief will make any difference.

I don't think that a person could go too far wrong by living in the manner that Jesus of the Bible taught -- not Paul, but Jesus. And not by "worshiping" Jesus and living in a manner contrary to what he taught -- counting on "forgiveness".

And I don't think that a person can go too far wrong by attempting to follow the Ten Commandments.

But I honestly have my doubts about the wisdom of a celibate Catholic vocation. If this life does indeed end for good at death than was a persons life lived chasing something that does not exist? Edited by southern california guy

I would like to believe that I will continue on in some way after death. But to be totally honest I don't think that is the case. And I don't think that my belief or lack of belief will make any difference.

I don't think that a person could go too far wrong by living in the manner that Jesus of the Bible taught -- not Paul, but Jesus. And not by "worshiping" Jesus and living in a manner contrary to what he taught -- counting on "forgiveness".

And I don't think that a person can go too far wrong by attempting to follow the Ten Commandments.

But I honestly have my doubts about the wisdom of a celibate Catholic vocation. If this life does indeed end for good at death than was a persons life lived chasing something that does not exist?

The celibacy comment surprises me.
I don't see a problem with anyone wiling to self sacrifice for the benifit of others. Including not marrying and or raising kids, either in a religious context or secular context.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I constantly feel like life is a big joke, and it gets very tiresome and eats away at me.

Hang in there buddy me too. Maybe this song will help. It helps me.  :)

http://youtu.be/wu0VRsVCQ48

Edited by Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Also this song helps me. I feel like giving up heaps the last 4 or 5 years. As far as i'm aware none are exempt from a dark night at some stage or stages to some degree or another,greater and lesser, pagan, christian, athiest, hindu, buddhist, muslim, EVERYONE. I'm unsure what it means but i think it is universal, ignatious says it can be either a test or from sin, meaning it comes from both areas. Figure that one out, i can't. But i do know if i pray usually some amount of light penetrates the dark night.

http://youtu.be/aLiYX9WD6uo

southern california guy

I don't see a problem with anyone wiling to self sacrifice for the benifit of others. Including not marrying and or raising kids, either in a religious context or secular context.

I had a number of nuns and discerning nuns contact me -- when I was single. I never thought about it much before that. Would they seriously consider the celibate vocation if they did not believe in life after death? All of this talk about being a virgin or a super virgin isn't about helping others -- it is some sort of an attempt to please "God".

I had a number of nuns and discerning nuns contact me -- when I was single. I never thought about it much before that. Would they seriously consider the celibate vocation if they did not believe in life after death? All of this talk about being a virgin or a super virgin isn't about helping others -- it is some sort of an attempt to please "God".

Maybe. I know nuns and priests, some before ordination. I also know secular celibate people. If it's a voluntary belief and purpose, then have at it. I am a proponent of self directed will, and that many humans can choose and direct their will in amazing ways that they find happiness and satisfaction.
Humans aren't mere animals and we are very varied. What I may find burdensome or impossible, may be a joy for others. There is a long history of chosen celibacy for various reasons, including greed, selfishness, and / or fulfillment in other endeavors, including art and asceticism.

southern california guy

Maybe. I know nuns and priests, some before ordination. I also know secular celibate people. If it's a voluntary belief and purpose, then have at it. I am a proponent of self directed will, and that many humans can choose and direct their will in amazing ways that they find happiness and satisfaction.
Humans aren't mere animals and we are very varied. What I may find burdensome or impossible, may be a joy for others. There is a long history of chosen celibacy for various reasons, including greed, selfishness, and / or fulfillment in other endeavors, including art and asceticism.

I agree. I am looking at it from my own point of view and not theirs.

As has been pointed out in this thread, thre is no "knowing" there is a god or existence in an after life. We Live in our present existence. Hope in an after life is merely egotism.

I think you fail to hear me when I said (please see my previous post) ‘How do I know that there is God?  I am a witness of Jesus Christ thus, I am very sure that there is God.’ Of course, whether you will believe me or not is another thing but, I want you to know that judgment will come after you die.

All of us accepted a fact that our talent is limited and we do not posses any ability to go beyond its boundaries. Therefore, all of us heed to an idea that it is impossible for us to know with all certainty, or to prove even to ourselves, the existence of God considering our own notion of God tell us that everything about Him are beyond our human mind and means.

Nonetheless, the above statement is conclusive and not absolute because man is a thinking creature, and being as such, he can remember (of course, I am not saying everything that he encounters) anything that comes and pass thru his experiences. Therefore, even a man’s talent was very limited to comprehend the true nature of God but still,  he can be a good witness when truth comes.  Now, this truth I am saying is the ‘Spiritual Truth’ that was made known thru an experience. This coming of truth, I was or we were talking, which is, was seen and will be seen, was called ‘The Revelation of God’. It is called ‘The Revelation of Christ’ because, what was made known to us through him was beyond our means, and this is what we believe we saw,  ‘The Truth of God’.

Actually, this is the proof an Atheist, although unknowingly, was asking for from anybody who believes. Thus, I say,  the conclusion, ‘ There is no God’ is understandable, and they are honest or least there is a little honesty in their confession. But, it does not follow that their confession, which is also a kind of belief, is true in its real sense because, they too can hardly proved it.

Can you disprove the existence of an unseen being by what you see? And if what you see cannot convince you to believe in an unknown being. Much more it will become harder for you to disprove it thru them.  

Therefore, there is foolishness in Atheism (at least not for being irrational) because, how can anyone says ‘That thing’ do not exist if he do not know what ‘that thing’ is? And if he truly knows what is ‘that thing’ how can he say ‘that thing’ do not exist while in fact he says he knows it?

Think about it carefully because, you can only say you know such unseen being do not exist if you know everything and all things. Otherwise, you do not really know it but you just believe in it. There is really foolishness in it because, you can only know, 'There is no God' if you will be like God himself.

I think, what you are actually saying is something like this. These Irrational believers are calling to a god that do not exist. I too will agree with you in that kind of statement. But....

True believers are not ‘irrational or illogical’ followers because, we have proof of God’s existence and that ‘proof’ is Jesus Christ himself.

Edited by reyb

reyb
Thank you for the prattle. I suspect you mean well, despite the obtuse wordarrhea.

But I honestly have my doubts about the wisdom of a celibate Catholic vocation. If this life does indeed end for good at death than was a persons life lived chasing something that does not exist?

Celibacy is a product of wrong interpretation to the scripture. Do they think King Solomon, David, Abraham...etc...etc.... even Apostle Paul lived a ‘celibate’ life? I really feel pity for Nuns and Priest who truly learn to love as heterosexual persons (or even for gay priest and nuns). They are just wasting their life for nothing, and in the end everything are just false hope.

Every commandments, teaching, doctrines, sacraments....etc...etc. ...—Everything they do and follow in their religious life are all  â€˜Teachings of Man’, and none of them are from God himself. But what can I do?

But, just like what Apostle Paul said "Everything is permissible for me"-but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"-but I will not be mastered by anything.

reyb
Thank you for the prattle. I suspect you mean well, despite the obtuse wordarrhea.

Okay. At least I am now hoping that I did my part.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

That a man or a women can remain celibate as in no sex including no masturbation for there whole life is testimony that there is a higher love beyond sex. What is that higher love?