An Old School Catholic Message Board

Creation And Science

ithinkjesusiscool

I believe in God, but I also believe in science. I believe that God created the laws of the universe, and then used to them to create us. This includes, for reasons we don't know, evolution from the lowest forms.

What do you mean by, "for reasons we don't know"? Do you mean to say an evolution involving natural mechanisms occurred but we simply can't understand it?

Fidei Defensor

What do you mean by, "for reasons we don't know"? Do you mean to say an evolution involving natural mechanisms occurred but we simply can't understand it?

We understand the mechanism, we don't understand why God chose to use it.

Fidei Defensor

What is the mechanism?

Descent from common ancestors, natural selection, genetic drift, random mutations, etc.

Descent from common ancestors, natural selection, genetic drift, random mutations, etc.

So natural selection, genetic variation, and reproduction explain it all. Guess I'm just really dense then, I don't see how an unguided process produced everything we see. I think of the all the complex physiological processes like that millisecond electrical signal between the SA and AV nodes in your heart that makes blood properly flow between chambers. or the mind blowing physics involving in neuronal processes in your brain, endocrinology, etc. Amazing what some natural forces and a few million years can do! Oh well, I'll put on my duns cap and go back to meditating in the corner. 

PhuturePriest

Is it really our theory? Going back to a point I made earlier about scientism, I think most people are unaware of the over-arching materialism underpinning the scientific establishment of our day and naively assume it's unbiased. So sure, what you describe above may be the best theory according to a materialist paradigm, in fact it's probably the only theory, but I would hardly call it the best explanation over all, in fact I find it quite lacking and rather stupid. You see, I'm one of those backward folk that recognize themselves to be contingent and accept the existence of what is called "God," and no I'm not referring to the 'bearded man sitting on a heavenly throne' that Dawkins and Hitchens speak of, rather I refer to the Absolutely Simple Infinite Existence that St Thomas Aquinas et all spoke of. And I know this will probably shock you and you will think of me as incredibly stupid and unscientific, but I actually don't believe any natural process can account for the beginning of life, and now the big shocker, I believe God is responsible for it! So yea, my problem with the above is that it's a pathetic materialist attempt to explain the origin of life. 

I don't see what the problem is. Even if life started by lightning striking primordial ooze, we still believe God started that. It's not like we believe that happened all on its own.

I don't see what the problem is. Even if life started by lightning striking primordial ooze, we still believe God started that. It's not like we believe that happened all on its own.

For one, lighting striking primordial ooze does not create life. Secondly, a significant amount of Catholics no longer possess a Catholic mindset. The only thing that strikes me is why such Catholics remain Catholic? It seems superfluous and contradictory. How do such Catholics for example accept Jesus' virgin birth, resurrection, ascension, and transubstantiation? What is their view of God, a "watch-maker" or sorts? 

PhuturePriest

For one, lighting striking primordial ooze does not create life. Secondly, a significant amount of Catholics no longer possess a Catholic mindset. The only thing that strikes me is why such Catholics remain Catholic? It seems superfluous and contradictory. How do such Catholics for example accept Jesus' virgin birth, resurrection, ascension, and transubstantiation? What is their view of God, a "watch-maker" or sorts? 

If the Big Bang is true, then guess what: God caused the Big Bang. It didn't come from nowhere. It's the same with the lightning. If I believe a priest has the power to turn a piece of bread into God himself, I can somehow find it in me to believe God can also cause life by having lightning hit ooze.

KnightofChrist

I would be willing to bet, if I gambled, that in 1,000 years science will have a vastly different view of evolution, or a completely different understanding of origins.  

If the Big Bang is true, then guess what: God caused the Big Bang. It didn't come from nowhere. It's the same with the lightning. If I believe a priest has the power to turn a piece of bread into God himself, I can somehow find it in me to believe God can also cause life by having lightning hit ooze.

Why do you for example believe a priest has such a power or that it even exists?

PhuturePriest

Why do you for example believe a priest has such a power or that it even exists?

Because I believe in the Church.

Why do you doubt God's power to make life by making lightning strike ooze?

Because I believe in the Church.

Why do you doubt God's power to make life by making lightning strike ooze?

What did the Church teach about the creation of Adam?

PhuturePriest

What did the Church teach about the creation of Adam?

The Church teaches that God created Adam.