An Old School Catholic Message Board

Corrective Rape

ToJesusMyHeart

Just popping in while eating dinner before going back to dissertation.  Last year, the FBI changed it's 80 year old definition of rape to be more broad.  It used to be purely vaginal penetration and female; the new definition admits the the rape of men is rape, as it now says "person" and now includes forcible penetration of the anus, mouth, and vagina. So forcible penetration of mouth and anus which were previously not counted, no matter the sex, will be. So when the UCR stats for this year are released, it should be interesting...

To quote the FBI:

Once the FBI begins collecting data using the new definition of rape in January 2013, UCR Program officials expect that the number of reported rapes will rise. According to David Cuthbertson, FBI Assistant Director of the Criminal Justice Information Services Division, “As we implement this change, the FBI is confident that the number of victims of this heinous crime will be more accurately reflected in national crime statistics.”

Rape stats can be misleading on their own. They need to be seen alongside other sexual offences. The variations in definitions and recordings of rape vary a lot between countries. In my own country penetration with anything other than the penis isn't rape, but in other countries it most definately is. The UK only recognised rape in marriage about 20 years ago, which seems crazy to me it took so long! Many people aren't reporting cases either, especially in the majority of cases where the victim knows the rapist, and  the conviction rate  (if it gets that far) is very low. The incidence of rape and other sexual assaults is still too high in the western world, but often higher in the developing world. There often isn't a solid structure to provide basic levels of safety against violence and other crimes, especially when their is civil war or unrest. The incidence of rape is so bad in some countries that victims face being victims of multiple rapes in their lifetimes, which is horrific and doesn't get the attention it deserves on the national/international level.

Semper Catholic

Rape stats can be misleading on their own. They need to be seen alongside other sexual offences. The variations in definitions and recordings of rape vary a lot between countries. In my own country penetration with anything other than the penis isn't rape, but in other countries it most definately is. The UK only recognised rape in marriage about 20 years ago, which seems crazy to me it took so long! Many people aren't reporting cases either, especially in the majority of cases where the victim knows the rapist, and the conviction rate (if it gets that far) is very low. The incidence of rape and other sexual assaults is still too high in the western world, but often higher in the developing world. There often isn't a solid structure to provide basic levels of safety against violence and other crimes, especially when their is civil war or unrest. The incidence of rape is so bad in some countries that victims face being victims of multiple rapes in their lifetimes, which is horrific and doesn't get the attention it deserves on the national/international level.

1 in 4 women in America will be a victim of sexual assault in their lifetime.

That's America. The United States. The most progressive and advanced nation in the world. Sexual assault isn't just happening in mud huts in the third world, it's happening right down the street.

1 in 4 women in America will be a victim of sexual assault in their lifetime.

That's America. The United States. The most progressive and advanced nation in the world. Sexual assault isn't just happening in mud huts in the third world, it's happening right down the street.

Not sure I'd agree with the most 'progressive and advanced nation' bit. I wouldn't refer to the third world as 'mud huts' either.  I agree with the force of your underlying point, but I never really said anything different in the first place :think2: