An Old School Catholic Message Board

Who's Up Watching The Canonization!?

AugustineA

Mortify, I understand what you're saying. I struggled over what to make of these canonizations. It took great heroes of the faith, martyrs and doctors, centuries to be canonized. I was troubled by the history of the matter, but contemporary history also: Between these two Popes, the Church has had a cataclysmic and unprecedented falling away of the laity.

We dealt with Arianism in the past. Even the bishops became heretics, but the people remained true. But today.. We all hear about the masses missing Mass. We all have fallen away family members, and many people who are thirsty for clear teachings, liturgies that require all our effort (NO or Traditional Latin Mass), and really studying the encyclicals and teachings of the whole church, even those 19 centuries before us.. Well, they're just rad trads? 

So obviously, when I heard about these quick canonizations, and the possibility of canonizing Paul VI, I was in spiritual turmoil. The same day I even read about an interview with Pope Francis who referred to the renewal in the celebration of the Traditional Latin Mass as a moda.. as a fad. That cut me to the heart. A decade of work, heartfelt devotion to the Mass of the church for 15 centuries, and the support of Papa Benedict XVI, and this huge part of my faith was a moda.. a fad? 

But here's the redemption. There is only one Church on Earth, and to deny the legitimacy of these canonizations is to deny the legitimacy of the current Pope. I don't have to stick with Francis. But I do have to stick with Peter, and I have to do it until the Pope explicitly denies a Church teaching or Jesus himself returns. Members of the Church, laity.. clergy.. they are free to reinterpret the teachings in this new grey subculture we live in. But we can quietly recognize the shift in understanding while maintaining our beliefs and continue to work hard and grow within the church: Conservative parishes have more children, more young families, growing vocations, and passion. Stick with Peter in the meantime. Continue praying, reading scripture, studying the catechism, and witnessing to younger Catholics the virtue of unity.  

Sorry this is so long. It's really more of a spilling of my guts. 

PhuturePriest

So is Qur'an kissing and being blessed by pagan shamans acceptable now?

Mortify, I understand what you're saying. I struggled over what to make of these canonizations. It took great heroes of the faith, martyrs and doctors, centuries to be canonized. I was troubled by the history of the matter, but contemporary history also: Between these two Popes, the Church has had a cataclysmic and unprecedented falling away of the laity.

We dealt with Arianism in the past. Even the bishops became heretics, but the people remained true. But today.. We all hear about the masses missing Mass. We all have fallen away family members, and many people who are thirsty for clear teachings, liturgies that require all our effort (NO or Traditional Latin Mass), and really studying the encyclicals and teachings of the whole church, even those 19 centuries before us.. Well, they're just rad trads? 

So obviously, when I heard about these quick canonizations, and the possibility of canonizing Paul VI, I was in spiritual turmoil. The same day I even read about an interview with Pope Francis who referred to the renewal in the celebration of the Traditional Latin Mass as a moda.. as a fad. That cut me to the heart. A decade of work, heartfelt devotion to the Mass of the church for 15 centuries, and the support of Papa Benedict XVI, and this huge part of my faith was a moda.. a fad? 

But here's the redemption. There is only one Church on Earth, and to deny the legitimacy of these canonizations is to deny the legitimacy of the current Pope. I don't have to stick with Francis. But I do have to stick with Peter, and I have to do it until the Pope explicitly denies a Church teaching or Jesus himself returns. Members of the Church, laity.. clergy.. they are free to reinterpret the teachings in this new grey subculture we live in. But we can quietly recognize the shift in understanding while maintaining our beliefs and continue to work hard and grow within the church: Conservative parishes have more children, more young families, growing vocations, and passion. Stick with Peter in the meantime. Continue praying, reading scripture, studying the catechism, and witnessing to younger Catholics the virtue of unity.  

Sorry this is so long. It's really more of a spilling of my guts. 

http://www.eyeofthetiber.com/2014/04/23/sspx-vehemently-protesting-canonization-of-st-peter/

PhuturePriest

Complain about kissing the Quran or blessings by Shamans if you want, he's in heaven and you're not. He obviously did something right.

Complain about kissing the Quran or blessings by Shamans if you want, he's in heaven and you're not. He obviously did something right.

Is there something wrong about getting blessed by a shaman?

Like I said, we ought to stick with Rome despite our concerns. And nevertheless it felt good to get that out of my system.

Also I personally think that was not the most thought out response to Mortify. It's never too early to begin your pastoral training, and I think that can be extended to all of us.

PhuturePriest

Is there something wrong about getting blessed by a shaman?

You tell me. You're the one who expressed issue with it.

You tell me. You're the one who expressed issue with it.

Do you feel there is something wrong with getting blessed by a shaman?

Like I said, we ought to stick with Rome despite our concerns. And nevertheless it felt good to get that out of my system.

Why ought we to do that? 

Fidei Defensor

Why ought we to do that? 

If the Lord trusted St. Peter, despite his flaws, to head his Church, that's good enough reason for me.

Mhmm.. Peter was chopping people's ears off and denying Christ at one point. You may not be comfortable. I get it. but you know.. Stick with it.

PhuturePriest

Do you feel there is something wrong with getting blessed by a shaman?

I feel that whatever reason the Pope had for doing it, it was for a good reason and we shouldn't judge him without knowing what that was.

I feel that whatever reason the Pope had for doing it, it was for a good reason and we shouldn't judge him without knowing what that was.

We can't judge persons but we can judge actions.

What did the Church teach about doing such actions?

jpiifeather.jpg

Fidei Defensor

You can cut a man's ear off and still be Catholic

You can receive a blessing from someone of another religion and still be Catholic.  Believe it or not, religions outside the Church hold tiny bits of truth. This is what the Church teaches.

CCC 843

"The Catholic Church recognizes in other religions that search, among shadows and images, for the God who is unknown yet near since he gives life and breath and all things and wants all men to be saved. Thus, the Church considers all goodness and truth found in these religions as "a preparation for the Gospel and given by him who enlightens all men that they may at length have life."

I have this beautiful prayer book, with both nihil obstat and imprimatur, that has a whole section of prayers from other religions.