An Old School Catholic Message Board

Who's Up Watching The Canonization!?

AugustineA

Nihil Obstat

Outside the Church there is no salvation. We know this.
If anyone 'visibly' outside the Church were to be saved through the mercy of God, that means that such a person was in fact joined to the Church, albeit in an extraordinary and exceptional manner.
Ignorance does not give salvation.

Fidei Defensor

If anyone 'visibly' outside the Church were to be saved through the mercy of God, that means that such a person was in fact joined to the Church, albeit in an extraordinary and exceptional manner.

Relevant Catechism passages:

"Outside the Church there is no salvation"

846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers? Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.

847 This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.

848 Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men.

Edited by tardis ad astra

I was at an NO Mass at the cathedral yesterday and the priest actually said just that. I sense a change at the cathedral. They're starting to correct liturgical abuses and speak on ignorance of Church teaching. I was surprised, in a good way. :)

NotreDame

It would be funny if the Church authorities had not known about this monster since the 1970's.

They knew about him well before the 70's:

http://www.andersonadvocates.com/Files/37/Timeline-of-Father-Marcial-Maciel-Degollado

He had to step down under Pope Pius the XII but was reinstated after Pius the XII died.  Hmm...  Who was pope after Pius the XII?

NotreDame

The priests from audiosancto said the only infallible part of canonization is that the person in question died in the state of grace and now enjoys the beatific vision, ie.  the person is now in heaven.  They say that's the only part that is infallible and I hope so myself because if even a Pope has trouble getting into heaven then I'm in trouble.

Now as for the cult of personality that has gotten built up around these men with so many hangers on using them as instruments of self-promotion (like Maciel did)?   Nothing infallible about that.  It could very well originate entirely with man.