An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nunderwear That Can Withstand Industrial Washing?

loveletslive

loveletslive

so…i need white bras without an underwire than can withstand industrial washing. any suggestions/links??! 

these look great but i don't know what sorts of fabric would make a bra more durable for industrial washing (and I guess probably drying? which would do the most damage i would imagine?)

https://www.soma.com/store/browse/shelf.jsp?subCatId=cat3310020&catId=cat40089

Deus te Amat

I used Hanes sports bras, but I have to confess that they weren't as supportive at the end as they were at the beginning -- they did work well, though. If you are one who is... not too well endowed... as to be able to use sports bras, I would highly recommend going that route.

Edited by Deus_te_Amat

Deus te Amat

Also, if some reason you need a specific type of bra, there is always the option of hand washing. There was an area set aside with a clothes line if a piece of clothing needed a little extra love -- you could talk to your community about if such a thing is possible.

hoosieranna

First, that title cracked me up.  That's why I responded.

Anyway, as one of the highly endowed I buy industrial strength bras, though always w/underwires.  I find cotton holds up better to hot water washing than any of the synthetics.  I never put them in the dryer.  That wears out the elastic really quickly, and they'll generally dry overnight on a rack.  I'd suggest Lane Bryant for decently priced (~$30) bosomy bras.  Target or Wal-Mart would probably be fine for regular size.  $30 may sound like a lot for a bra, but I'm used to spending $80 for some space-age engineered anti-gravity wonder.  You also need to decide whether you want shelf bras (most pullover sports bras) or cupped.  Cupped look nicer and offer more support, but shelf bras are better at compression.  It's personal choice.

Back to giggling.

loveletslive

nunderwear is such a fun word! ;)  :nun3:

thanks for all the help so far! my list does say we can hand wash bras if necessary but….aint nobody got time fo dat!

hoosieranna

I would also seriously consider getting a lingerie bag.  It keeps bras from being strung out around the washer drum and getting stretched out.  You can get them very cheaply.

domenica_therese

nunderwear is such a fun word! ;)  :nun3:

thanks for all the help so far! my list does say we can hand wash bras if necessary but….aint nobody got time fo dat!

'Zackly.  :hehe2:  

I used Hanes sports bras, but I have to confess that they weren't as supportive at the end as they were at the beginning -- they did work well, though. If you are one who is... not too well endowed... as to be able to use sports bras, I would highly recommend going that route.

So what's the underwireless alternative to sports bras?

Though, there are some pretty intense sports bras out there these days, I just don't know how much delicacy their intensity lends them.

Deus te Amat

So what's the underwireless alternative to sports bras?

Though, there are some pretty intense sports bras out there these days, I just don't know how much delicacy their intensity lends them.

I have a really hard time finding wireless bras, so.....

Makes me miss the convent! :hehe:

Also, why are you thinking about delicacy when it will be covered up by 3+ layers of clothing?

Edited by Deus_te_Amat

OnlySunshine

My favorite bras are sports bras because they hold up well.  The ones that I've found that work the best are Fruit of the Loom tank bras and I've worn them for years.  You can buy a set of 3 at Walmart for less than $11.  They come in sets of 2 white and 1 light pink (which is a problem, I think, because I never wear that color bra).  But, still, 2 bras for less than $11 is a good deal in my opinion.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-of-the-Loom-3-Pack-Tank-Style-Sport-Bras-Style-9012/13997008

I know some people who like Warner soft cup bras and they hold up well.  They aren't too expensive if you can buy them at a discount store like Ross, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, etc.  I've seen some that are $15 or less (once I saw some for $9.99).

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

domenica_therese

Also, why are you thinking about delicacy when it will be covered up by 3+ layers of clothing?

:hehe2:  I meant delicacy as in fragility as in likelihood to wilt in the washer. As in the more moveable/detachable/adjustable parts something has, the more possibilities to break.

Honestly, I am actually quite fond of sports bras and for awhile I wouldn't wear anything else. My mom just seems to think those don't count as actual bras so keeps trying to propose these strange, elaborate, new-fangled sports bras with at least 18 buckles and adjustments which aren't very to my taste and look as if they have dubious durability. Also there's spirit/letter of the law and they seem too snazzy and feature-laden to fit with the spirit. I mean, since when do bras even need features? (It's also not as if I'm so excessively well-endowed where I'd need that). :think: I feel like it's back to the olden days of middle school once again when she had to go to great lengths to convince me I needed to wear actual bras. Perhaps she's afraid I'll revert to being an ultra-tomboy, despite the fact that I'll be wearing a dress always?

:giveup2: 

Anyway, when my mother's only concern about me joining the convent is that I'll be sufficiently supported, I guess I'd just best consider myself blessed. *shrug*  :nun: 

Edited by domenica_therese

Deus te Amat

:hehe2:  I meant delicacy as in fragility as in likelihood to wilt in the washer. As in the more moveable/detachable/adjustable parts something has, the more possibilities to break.

Honestly, I am actually quite fond of sports bras and for awhile I wouldn't wear anything else. My mom just seems to think those don't count as actual bras so keeps trying to propose these strange, elaborate, new-fangled sports bras with at least 18 buckles and adjustments which aren't very to my taste and look as if they have dubious durability. Also there's spirit/letter of the law and they seem too snazzy and feature-laden to fit with the spirit. I mean, since when do bras even need features? (It's also not as if I'm so excessively well-endowed where I'd need that). :think: I feel like it's back to the olden days of middle school once again when she had to go to great lengths to convince me I needed to wear actual bras. Perhaps she's afraid I'll revert to being an ultra-tomboy, despite the fact that I'll be wearing a dress always?

:giveup2: 

Anyway, when my mother's only concern about me joining the convent is that I'll be sufficiently supported, I guess I'd just best consider myself blessed. *shrug*  :nun: 

:hehe:

Want me to talk to your mother?

That would be an entertaining conversation....

Edited by Deus_te_Amat

domenica_therese

:hehe:

Want me to talk to your mother?

That would be an entertaining conversation....

"Hi Mrs. ___, I just wanted to assure you that the convent is a very supportive environment and your daughter will be just fine." :P

I appreciate the offer, but I think it will (hopefully) ultimately prove unnecessary, at least on this subject. If the 18 buckle bra resurfaces I'll call in the reinforcements.  :hehe2:  My mom loves you though, so I'm sure you'd be a valuable ally. :P

I love this thread! For the monastery, I bought two sports bras from Marks & Spencer (a UK shop - don't know if they ship to the US?) and they've lasted two years, till now, which I consider pretty good. If you want a UK personal shopper, Loveletslive, just let me know! :)

maximillion

There are M&S stores in some states in the USA and they have an online presence......

As a convent veteran of 14 years I can tell you that cotton stands the test of time. The less elastic/lycra/elastane there is then the longer the bra will last and still be supportive.

I took 100% cotton bras with me when I entered because we were told to do so, and the community provided them after that.