An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nunderwear That Can Withstand Industrial Washing?

loveletslive

Catherine Therese

Honestly, I am actually quite fond of sports bras and for awhile I wouldn't wear anything else. My mom just seems to think those don't count as actual bras so keeps trying to propose these strange, elaborate, new-fangled sports bras with at least 18 buckles and adjustments which aren't very to my taste and look as if they have dubious durability. Also there's spirit/letter of the law and they seem too snazzy and feature-laden to fit with the spirit. I mean, since when do bras even need features? (It's also not as if I'm so excessively well-endowed where I'd need that). :think: I feel like it's back to the olden days of middle school once again when she had to go to great lengths to convince me I needed to wear actual bras. Perhaps she's afraid I'll revert to being an ultra-tomboy, despite the fact that I'll be wearing a dress always?

:giveup2: 

Anyway, when my mother's only concern about me joining the convent is that I'll be sufficiently supported, I guess I'd just best consider myself blessed. *shrug*  :nun: 

This sounds like something straight out of the movie "Bend it Like Beckham." :hehe2:

PhuturePriest

Yep, this thread has made it official: This phorum is strictly for girls. It started slow, with a simple advantage in numbers and talking about which veils and habits are the. cutest. But now this phorum might as well be called "Girls talking about nuns."

This post is meant to be funny (If not painfully truthful), so don't get excited over it. :P

Edited by FuturePriest387

I get your point, Miles, but the difference is... for some reason no one thinks to give a herd of seminarians orders on what kind of underwear to bring.... but they sure do with the nunabes....

I'll second getting cotton if you can find it.... it wears forever and takes a fair amount of abuse.... and it is a LOT cooler if you are in a warm climate.

And.. what WE had to bring were these... because they wanted us to have this style to support our backs because we would be doing so much hard work (kitchen, housework and related stuff) and believe it or not, they are surprisingly comfortable and wear forever!!!!  I still keep one around because it is a perfect under-garment for clothes that are a little sheer as well!  The cotton makes a HUGE difference!

http://www.amazon.com/Exquisite-Form-Womens-Front-Longline/dp/B000E0R0YA

(I don't remember if it has 'bones' up the sides... if it does, just make a tiny slit at the bottom and slide them out--you don't need 'em.   AND don't put it in the dryer....)

PhuturePriest

I get your point, Miles, but the difference is... for some reason no one thinks to give a herd of seminarians orders on what kind of underwear to bring.... but they sure do with the nunabes....

Honestly, I don't think it's important enough to bring up, and guys would just laugh at you. The only solid advice about underwear you could give to seminarians is "Boxers or briefs, but please God, no tighty-whities.", because as my brother-in-law's old college roommate will tell you, you will be made fun of horrendously for it.

The only reason this is a thread is because literally every other question about entering religious life has been exhausted. :P

Edited by FuturePriest387

domenica_therese

No, the reason it's a thread is because it is a very relevant and intensely necessary question for some of us. :P

I bought my nunderwear -- I think I'm going with a combination of half sports bras and half other options, just in case one of them starts driving me crazy. Thanks a bunch for the recommendations, it was very helpful, especially because I have my doubts about the exclusively cotton things being able to function adequately as a bra. But if you vouch for them I'll believe you and blame you later! :P

OnlySunshine

I'll second getting cotton if you can find it.... it wears forever and takes a fair amount of abuse.... and it is a LOT cooler if you are in a warm climate.

And.. what WE had to bring were these... because they wanted us to have this style to support our backs because we would be doing so much hard work (kitchen, housework and related stuff) and believe it or not, they are surprisingly comfortable and wear forever!!!!  I still keep one around because it is a perfect under-garment for clothes that are a little sheer as well!  The cotton makes a HUGE difference!

(I don't remember if it has 'bones' up the sides... if it does, just make a tiny slit at the bottom and slide them out--you don't need 'em.   AND don't put it in the dryer....)

I've always wanted to try one of those because I'd like to have a bra that I could wear that didn't have huge straps like the sports bras.  They don't work well under some dresses and they give you a unib**b problem.  But I never could find a bra that was comfortable because of the hook and eye contraption.  I always found that incredibly itchy - even the ones who claim that you won't feel it.  The closest I ever got to being comfortable was either the Playtex 18 Hour (if it was a soft material) or Olga Simply Perfect (I don't think they make those anymore; I had one when I was a teen but grew out of it).  I can't stand those seamless bras because the nylon makes me sweaty and uncomfortable.  I'm very sensitive to fabrics and always have been (which is why I think I have undiagnosed ASD because many of them are sensitive to anything remotely itchy).  I felt that way even before I got depression.  :(

See now that just makes me want to flounce around with an imaginary bouquet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWzz_NJ6H00

Edited by marigold

Honestly, I don't think it's important enough to bring up, and guys would just laugh at you. The only solid advice about underwear you could give to seminarians is "Boxers or briefs, but please God, no tighty-whities.", because as my brother-in-law's old college roommate will tell you, you will be made fun of horrendously for it.

The only reason this is a thread is because literally every other question about entering religious life has been exhausted. :P

FWIW, I'm inclined to think that there are many women religious who would laugh (and possibly cringe) at this too. Not everyone has detailed expectations of what sort of underwear one is supposed to bring - at least not in my experience. 

maximillion

Okay, so what does all this prove? That we get instructions the other gender don't? Possibly.

But truth is girls, we are girly!! Plain an simple. I make no apology for that, and I fail to see any reason why a nunabe shouldn't be just as girly as any other girl!

Don't brides get to talk about everything from their veil to their garter in advance?

Ditto us.

All I can say is that I am so thankful we have the possibility of talking about it now, in my day (!) no one mentioned their unmentionables, nunderwear or otherwise.

PhuturePriest

Okay, so what does all this prove? That we get instructions the other gender don't? Possibly.

But truth is girls, we are girly!! Plain an simple. I make no apology for that, and I fail to see any reason why a nunabe shouldn't be just as girly as any other girl!

Don't brides get to talk about everything from their veil to their garter in advance?

Ditto us.

All I can say is that I am so thankful we have the possibility of talking about it now, in my day (!) no one mentioned their unmentionables, nunderwear or otherwise.

I assure you, I have never once been talked to by vocation directors about underwear. This is a strictly female religious thing. :P

Girls are allowed to be girly. I just wasn't aware a wireless bra was a prospective sister's garter.