An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nunderwear That Can Withstand Industrial Washing?

loveletslive

MargaretTeresa

I assure you, I have never once been talked to by vocation directors about underwear. This is a strictly female religious thing. :P

Girls are allowed to be girly. I just wasn't aware a wireless bra was a prospective sister's garter.

:hehe: rotfl rotfl rotfl :hehe: bahahahahaha

PhuturePriest

I like how even when I say something that makes people laugh, they still don't prop my posts. :P

veritasluxmea

Um, sorry to interrupt, but I'm really wondering if all convents require a wireless bra? And why wireless only? Wireless bras really aren't my thing... at all. 

OnlySunshine

Um, sorry to interrupt, but I'm really wondering if all convents require a wireless bra? And why wireless only? Wireless bras really aren't my thing... at all. 

I don't think they require it.  I think it's just a personal preference is all.  I've only ever heard a specified color and that it had to be modest but they don't specify type since women are endowed differently.

AveMariaPurissima

When I entered, we were told to bring sports bras because they make you look more "flat." :saint:

brandelynmarie

I'm thinking wires in bras are prone to breakage & that leads to poking out & possibly shredding of the bra or other laundry if washed in an industrial washer.

Edited by brandelynmarie

OnlySunshine

Does anyone know of a store that sells a bra similar to this one that is appropriate for everyday wear?

http://www.target.com/p/basics-women-s-emma-maternity-nursing-sleep-bra-1451-assorted-colors/-/A-14580916#prodSlot=thematic_medium_1_4&term=Womens%20Pullover%20Bra

I wear this bralette to bed because I like to have something on for modesty (still living at home) and it's WAY more comfortable than wearing a sports bra.  It's made of 78 % Cotton, 14 % Nylon, 8 % Spandex.  I like that it's cinched in the middle because it separates and doesn't give that dreaded unib**b problem.  But I could not wear it out of the house because it's too thin and has no lining.  I'd LOVE to find one like this that was pullover and not all nylon.  :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

PhuturePriest

When I entered, we were told to bring sports bras because they make you look more "flat." :saint:

That's nice in theory, but new studies suggests sports bras aid in the development of breast cancer.

domenica_therese

I'm thinking wires in bras are prone to breakage & that leads to poking out & possibly shredding of the bra or other laundry if washed in an industrial washer.

Yeah, I asked my VD specifically about why they specified this, since it was an object of curiosity for my family, and it is for purely practical purposes because of the way they do the laundry (big, merciless, industrial machines). You are at liberty to hand-wash a more delicate bra though if that is necessary. Some communities might have more specifically penitential reasons, but from what I've discovered, religious life is for human beings. 

Plus, something about bringing a super fancy, frilly bra to the convent just seems inherently bizarre. :P

Edited by domenica_therese

veritasluxmea

Thanks everyone, that makes more sense. :) I've worn wireless before and eventually I got used to it, but it makes physical activity really really awkward... I use wired bras even for sports. It's really more modest for me. I guess I'll just bring it up with the VD if it becomes a concern. 

Catherine Therese

from what I've discovered, religious life is for human beings. 

this. :)

• 7 months later...

Just thought I'd bump this as I invested in some serious business, all-black giant nunderpants today! Feels like I'm finally committed to this thing!

(just kidding)

(not really)

Just thought I'd bump this as I invested in some serious business, all-black giant nunderpants today! Feels like I'm finally committed to this thing!

(just kidding)

(not really)

"nunderpants": that's fantastic.  For some reason, I always imagined nuns wearing pettipants - maybe because I read too many saint stories from when that style was most popular.  Although, I do like what wikipedia says: "Unlike other types of underwear, pettipants will not ride up and eliminate hot-weather chafing."