Spem in alium Posted June 17, 2014 Posted June 17, 2014 Because I think we need one! :) So: who are people supporting? What matches are you watching? What a stimulating game between Ghana and USA! Beautiful goals, esp. John Brooks'! Shame about Altidore's hamstring injury, though. :bananarap: :soccer:
chrysostom Posted June 17, 2014 Posted June 17, 2014 (edited) I'm a fanatic raving loony for my own merry olde England. My list of the teams I support the most, going down after that, would be: 2. Australia 3. USA 4. Netherlands Edited June 17, 2014 by chrysostom
Spem in alium Posted June 17, 2014 Author Posted June 17, 2014 I'm a fanatic raving loony for my own merry olde England. My list of the teams I support the most, going down after that, would be: 2. Australia 3. USA 4. Netherlands Love England too (though many Aussies would say I shouldn't, given our cricket rivalry). The match with Italy was a cracker! Looking forward to seeing them play Uruguay. Also really looking forward to Aus v. Netherlands. The Dutch played an excellent game against the Spanish. The Aussie team is very fresh-faced (most of the players are making their World Cup debut), so it will be interesting to see what they can pull out of the bag. Thought the game between USA and Ghana was played with a lot of sportsmanship. Nice to see. :)
Spem in alium Posted June 17, 2014 Author Posted June 17, 2014 BRAZIL v MEXICO - WOW!!!!!!!! Slow start, but second half had great play, esp. by Mexico's keeper!
Spem in alium Posted June 18, 2014 Author Posted June 18, 2014 Wow, Spain... expected more there. BUT AUSTRALIA SCORED TWO GOALS!!! WHO KNEW???
chrysostom Posted June 19, 2014 Posted June 19, 2014 Unfortunately I missed the Australia-Holland game, but I'm a little crushed. The silver lining is that the Aussies did a lot better against Holland that Spain did - and that's with a team missing a lot of key players from last time that made them such a good passing threat. But still, 0 points is 0 points. ENGLAND'S PLAYING TOMORROW!!!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! AND I'M OFF WORK SO I CAN WATCH IT!!!!!
chrysostom Posted June 22, 2014 Posted June 22, 2014 OK I'm crushed at this point. England noooooo! But oh well, USA still has a chance.
chrysostom Posted June 22, 2014 Posted June 22, 2014 I'm looking forward to seeing the Australian side four years from now though!
Spem in alium Posted June 22, 2014 Author Posted June 22, 2014 Unfortunately I missed the Australia-Holland game, but I'm a little crushed. The silver lining is that the Aussies did a lot better against Holland that Spain did - and that's with a team missing a lot of key players from last time that made them such a good passing threat. But still, 0 points is 0 points. ENGLAND'S PLAYING TOMORROW!!!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! AND I'M OFF WORK SO I CAN WATCH IT!!!!! OK I'm crushed at this point. England noooooo! But oh well, USA still has a chance. I'm looking forward to Aus v Spain. The Aussies have a lot to give, and I suspect Spain is a bit demoralised. I know -- so crushed about England...but thrilled that Rooney finally scored a World Cup goal! Though I suspect he won't be overjoyed given the team's loss. France v Switzerland was stimulating. And seriously, was so entranced by Ghana v Germany! Ghana was in such fine form! Tomorrow's games should be interesting. Portugal and USA, particularly. Kind of also backing Russia, too. :)
Spem in alium Posted June 22, 2014 Author Posted June 22, 2014 Ohhh Portugal!!!!! Scored in the last minute of the match against USA to draw 2-2!!!!
PhuturePriest Posted June 23, 2014 Posted June 23, 2014 It kills me that I can't watch any of the games.
Spem in alium Posted June 23, 2014 Author Posted June 23, 2014 It kills me that I can't watch any of the games. :( I wouldn't have either; we've not had a TV for a while, but we got a used one which we will probably give away after the Cup is finished. My body clock is really helping me out in terms of catching them - they're at 2, 5 and 8 each morning here. Haven't managed the 2AM games, really, but the others suit me fine.
chrysostom Posted June 23, 2014 Posted June 23, 2014 (edited) If it's a matter of access, all the games are available free on the web at ESPN3 if you are in the states. Google it and you can see it there. They also have full game replays if you want to see something you missed. Edited June 23, 2014 by chrysostom
Tony Posted June 23, 2014 Posted June 23, 2014 That late goal by Portugal :( US still had a decent chance of getting through their group though. If they draw Germany, or if Portugal/Ghana draws the US advance. And there's tiebreakers that come into play (goal difference being the first) if none of those things happen.
Spem in alium Posted June 23, 2014 Author Posted June 23, 2014 That late goal by Portugal :( US still had a decent chance of getting through their group though. If they draw Germany, or if Portugal/Ghana draws the US advance. And there's tiebreakers that come into play (goal difference being the first) if none of those things happen. I'd actually really like USA to advance. They seem to play quite fairly, and well. Also wanting Ghana to get through, as I think they've been playing excellently.
PhuturePriest Posted June 23, 2014 Posted June 23, 2014 If it's a matter of access, all the games are available free on the web at ESPN3 if you are in the states. Google it and you can see it there. They also have full game replays if you want to see something you missed. I'd actually really like USA to advance. They seem to play quite fairly, and well. Also wanting Ghana to get through, as I think they've been playing excellently. Thanks to the genius of Chrysostom, I'm going to watch the Australia vs. Spain match at 11. I'm trying to decide who to support. :P
Spem in alium Posted June 23, 2014 Author Posted June 23, 2014 Thanks to the genius of Chrysostom, I'm going to watch the Australia vs. Spain match at 11. I'm trying to decide who to support. :P AUSSIEEEEE!! :) Spain demolished us! (Though I am happy Spain did get a victory in the end.)
chrysostom Posted June 23, 2014 Posted June 23, 2014 Shame to see the Aussies lose when they were a scrappier team than many who are still going forward.
PhuturePriest Posted June 23, 2014 Posted June 23, 2014 Shame to see the Aussies lose when they were a scrappier team than many who are still going forward. Doesn't "scrappy" mean "bad"? Or it at least does where I'm from, anyway.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now