An Old School Catholic Message Board

Calling Oneself Catholic While Rejecting Church Teaching

Perigrina

Credo in Deum

So does an injection, but there are ways to make it less painful (speaking as an ex nurse).

:) I love the response, but I must advise you there are those who have a phobia of needles and no amount of gentleness will change their mind. 

AccountDeleted

:) I love the response, but I must advise you there are those who have a phobia of needles and no amount of gentleness will change their mind. 

Then you give them a tablet instead. :p

AccountDeleted

Nunsense- just read a few of the comments you've posted recently. Just wanted to express gratitude for your posts and what you said.  Prayers for your vocation explorations also :like2:

I propped this just to say thank you for your support. 

AccountDeleted

Phobia of tablets and needles!    LOL!

Srsly? You must be one of those 'no pain, no gain' advocates? You must miss the Inquisition.  :bash: 

Credo in Deum

Srsly? You must be one of those 'no pain, no gain' advocates? You must miss the Inquisition.  :bash: 

No, but I do believe a lot of Catholics have become soft. 

AccountDeleted

No, but I do believe a lot of Catholics have become soft. 

I have no idea what that means and it sounds like you might even be more Catholic than the Pope, but I don't have time to go into all that in detail - work awaits. Perhaps if I return, I can get some clarification as to what kind of softness has seeped into Catholics that worries you so much. It's been fun but bye for now. :)

Credo in Deum

I have no idea what that means and it sounds like you might even be more Catholic than the Pope, but I don't have time to go into all that in detail - work awaits. Perhaps if I return, I can get some clarification as to what kind of softness has seeped into Catholics that worries you so much. It's been fun but bye for now. :)

Feel free to replace the word soft with any of these other choices. 

unconcerneduninteresteduncaringcasualnonchalantoffhand,uninvolvedunenthusiasticapatheticlukewarmphlegmaticblasé,insouciant; unimpressedboredunmovedunresponsiveimpassive,dispassionatedetached,

Edited by Credo in Deum

KnightofChrist

More Catholic than the Pope? Can this be said of those that call themselves Catholic but reject Church Teaching?

I'm sorry but this doesn't make any sense to me.

Edit: I am open to further explanation to help me understand what you are trying to say though!

It was a reference to an earlier point in the thread.  Perhaps it was before you started participating.  I said:

"Sometimes there are differing opinions on what the orthodox position is.  But there should not be differing opinions on whether we need to be orthodox. " 

I'll try rephrasing it.  We should all share the same basic assumptions about how we know what is true, i.e. through Revelation and the teaching authority of the Church.  We might disagree about what the Church actually teaches about a certain issue.  In that case, people could make supporting arguments by citing magisterial teaching. 

But when we do not share the same assumptions about the role of the Church's teaching authority, a person can show that something is indeed Church teaching and the other dismisses it with "So what. I don't care.  I think for myself."  That attitude cannot exist within orthodoxy.  

Orthodox Catholics might have different views on what the Church actually teaches, but not about her authority to teach.  There can not be different views over whether it matters whether the Church has taught something.  

More Catholic than the Pope? Can this be said of those that call themselves Catholic but reject Church Teaching?

No, they are being their own popes.

Credo in Deum

No, those people are just called "Catholics in good standing."  Apparently the only overly Catholic Catholics are the ones who believe everything the Church teaches and who are not indifferent towards heretical ideals and practices. 

You have recently done several posts on the importance of kindness and "soft words".  Do you really think that suggesting a person is "more Catholic than the Pope" is not inflammatory?  Do you think the condescending tone of your post is kind?

Kindness is important no matter what. And, you can point someone to the truth, and still use kind words and phrases. Even if they say something that "bugs" you. 

I feel like we all missed out on a great opportunity to help someone back into the Church, and now it's gone. She may come back, but who really can tell? Again, yes, sometimes we get irritated at each other. Let's try to rise above that. 

Remember, there's another human being behind that screen, and you have no idea who they are, or what they are doing. 

PhuturePriest

Responding to anyone with love is always an option - even if they appear to have left the conversation, they could be lurking and reading - and there is always an opportunity to regret harsh words and to feel regret for hurting someone's feelings, even through misunderstanding. 

Of course not everyone here is a big meanie, that is quite true, but  we here at Phatmass will always be held to a higher standard of Christian charity than secular online groups - or at least we should be. 

Although I can understand your desire to correct those who have been poorly catechized, perhaps there are less confrontational ways to do this? It comes back to example speaking louder than words. Using charity and kindness to correct will often convert someone more than simply pointing out errors. 

The thing is, admonishing the sinner and correcting things is inherently offensive. It's telling the person that they're wrong, which offends them. We're supposed to do it anyway. The Lord was an incredibly offensive person. I'm sure the Pharisees were incredibly offended when John the Baptist told them they were sons of the Devil, and I'm sure Peter was offended when Jesus called him Satan. I'm also sure that feelings were hurt and people were offended when Jesus was whipping people out of the temple. Admonishing the sinner and correcting errors will always be inherently offensive. We shouldn't be rude by any means, as rudeness accomplishes nothing. But no matter what you do, you can't offend someone in a nice way, and these things are inherently offensive.