An Old School Catholic Message Board

Your Office Is Calling: Learning The Do

brandelynmarie

Here is a question I never thought of before: Are we to be praying the Office aloud? I'm usually alone & so that wouldn't be a problem & I can imagine in public places one would pray silently out of charity...but I just realized I always read/pray it silently...thoughts? :bible:

Hi BM.........I pray it aloud and alone seated in front of my little prayer space 'altar' with candle lit.  Personally I have found that praying the Office aloud does mean that I keep my concentration better - but this would vary I would think from person to person.  For a few years it was the opposite and I found praying the Office silently worked for me with no problems re concentration.

In public places and still praying alone, I carry with me always the Little Office of Our Lady as it fits easily into handbag etc.  I pray it then silently.  Travelling by bus always, I very often have time to pray an Hour from the Little Office with a Rosary and sometimes even a Chaplet of Mercy.   I try always to remember too to bless myself if the bus passes a Catholic Church keeping in mind "whoever proclaims Me before men, I will proclaim him before My Father in Heaven"............I will need all the Merciful proclaiming I can Hope for, I know.

I know, but I'm quite serious. There is a swelling of anti-religious feeling here, spurred on by the "religion of peace"'s antics and generic secularism. "Fighters" returning from Syria &c. are being arrested; there is talk in government of taking away their passports, their families' passports (the vast majority of them are 1st or 2nd generation immigrants) and there are moves to remove children from such families and place them into state care (which I would not wish on anyone, even with my disgust of Islam).

Now people are generally unable to make distinctions because every religion is like the other, so if I'm praying on a train I make sure a 'secular' book is also visible. And, Heaven help me, I've noticed I sometimes bob my head back and forth whilst praying the psalms.

I used to cover my head all the time, but there's no way I'd do that now. Life is pretty weird here.

:offtopic:  (sorry)

I know how you feel, PP. But the current situation has had the opposite effect on me - where I used to feel slightly embarrassed about praying, for example, pre-communion prayers on the train to Liturgy, these days I think '**** it!' and whip my prayer book out with boldness. And I used to hate covering my head anywhere outside the church building, but now I do it gladly because it is a sign that Christ IS the victor - and if I'm honest, because part of me that used to shy away from 'evangelising' is now prepared to do so because I have courage from those of us being martyred as we write. Rather than feel that people can't distinguish between religions, I feel that now that Islam has 'shown its true colours' we have a greater and better opportunity to be different. Perhaps this is how radicalisation happens...

As to the passport confiscation - no, it's not brilliant on a human rights level, but I think if you're hopping on a plane to go chop up some minorities then you've sort of already waived your right to being treated like any other law-abiding citizen.

brandelynmarie

I know, but I'm quite serious. There is a swelling of anti-religious feeling here, spurred on by the "religion of peace"'s antics and generic secularism. "Fighters" returning from Syria &c. are being arrested; there is talk in government of taking away their passports, their families' passports (the vast majority of them are 1st or 2nd generation immigrants) and there are moves to remove children from such families and place them into state care (which I would not wish on anyone, even with my disgust of Islam).

Now people are generally unable to make distinctions because every religion is like the other, so if I'm praying on a train I make sure a 'secular' book is also visible. And, Heaven help me, I've noticed I sometimes bob my head back and forth whilst praying the psalms.

I used to cover my head all the time, but there's no way I'd do that now. Life is pretty weird here.

:offtopic: (sorry)

My apologies, I thought you were half-joking. :blush: It sounds...surreal & scary.

However, y'all feel free to go "off topic" as needed. I don't mind at all. :)

puellapaschalis

A woman got beaten up because she hung an Israeli flag in her window.

Jews have had to move, and their synagogues have been vandalised.

People walk around here with ISIS flags and shirts, and give them to young kids to wave about.

So far five people have been arrested for recruiting young men (and probably some women too) to go and fight in Syria; they're also the people who organise marches - pretty close to where I live - where they chant things about sending Jews back to the sewer where they came from.

A seminarian went to Mass wearing a Ù† t-shirt and was verbally abused by some Moroccans.

There is bravery, and there is prudence.

• 2 weeks later...
brandelynmarie

Ok, I'm throwing out a question for anyone to answer...why is the Office of Readings movable? I always thought of it as a preview of the next day, so to speak & was done late at night...

Edited by brandelynmarie

puellapaschalis

In St. Benedict's Rule, and in the pattern of the breviary in the West that developed so heavily upon it, Matins (or Vigils) is done at night. It's the night office and has a separate structure from the day offices, etc. It later became acceptable for Vigils to be anticipated on the evening of the day before, i.e. Tuesday Vigils would actually be sung on Monday evening after Compline.

Then the post-Vatican II changes came, and with it the innovation (amongst others) of 'Readings'

....while retaining its nocturnal character for those who wish to celebrate a vigil, is now of such a nature that it can be said at any time during the day... Ap Const, The Canticle of Praise §2

Since

As expressly required by the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy account has been taken of the circumstances in which these days priests have to perform their work of the apostolate. CoP §1

That, I think, is the short answer. The citations are taken from the Apostolic Constitution which is in the front of Volume I of my copy of The Divine Office (yeh, you made me dig it out from the back of a bookcase!), where the General Instruction on the Liturgy of the Hours is also included, replete with references to Scripture and various Vatican II documents.

Does this help?

CountrySteve21

Just though I'd share this http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/rev-samuel-f-weber-osb/hymnal-for-the-hours/paperback/product-21799513.html

Its the official Latin hymns of the LOTH translated into English, set to chant and is approved. 

Unfortunately, in the US our Breviary doesn't have them, but has replacements.

Pax

CountrySteve21

The Solesmes books really are beautiful. I hope you can get a bunch someday and get Sunday Vespers up and going soon!

Thanks! I've tried talking to my Priest about it in the past, maybe I should try again!  Though I can't chant worth nothing  :hehe:  

Do you use any of the Solesmes books for Office/ Mass?

Pax 

puellapaschalis

Thanks! I've tried talking to my Priest about it in the past, maybe I should try again!  Though I can't chant worth nothing  :hehe:  

Do you use any of the Solesmes books for Office/ Mass?

Pax 

Before I became a trad I used the Solesmes books for Office, and their Graduale for Mass if it was being done properly (yea, I'm a snob and say it's not being done properly if it's not Gregorian or Palestrina) and I was singing.

These days if I sing the Office I use the Antiphonale that Solesmes published in 1934, but it's not often that I'm able to: on my own I use the Diurnal or Breviary, and if there's Vespers at church then they use the Romanum, not Monasticum, and there are slightly differences. If I'm singing at Mass then I just grab one of the Graduales from church, and they seemed to get published by various places.

I will say, though, that it's easier to get Vespers up and running, sung or no, with the newer LOTH than the old pattern. You just get a group, hand them out books or booklets or whatever, make sure there's at least one person on each side who knows what's going on and whom everyone else can follow, and away you go! The rubrics are a little more involved with the older books.

Edited by puellapaschalis

I loved Sunday Vespers at the monastery. Everyone would go off and read/nap/walk/pray after Liturgy and the whole afternoon would be blissfully silent and relaxed. Then the bell would go for Vespers and it'd be short and sweet (no long sections of psalms as during the week) and everyone would be singing and focusing better because we were all rested. Slice o' heaven.

CountrySteve21

Before I became a trad I used the Solesmes books for Office, and their Graduale for Mass if it was being done properly (yea, I'm a snob and say it's not being done properly if it's not Gregorian or Palestrina) and I was singing.

These days if I sing the Office I use the Antiphonale that Solesmes published in 1934, but it's not often that I'm able to: on my own I use the Diurnal or Breviary, and if there's Vespers at church then they use the Romanum, not Monasticum, and there are slightly differences. If I'm singing at Mass then I just grab one of the Graduales from church, and they seemed to get published by various places.

I will say, though, that it's easier to get Vespers up and running, sung or no, with the newer LOTH than the old pattern. You just get a group, hand them out books or booklets or whatever, make sure there's at least one person on each side who knows what's going on and whom everyone else can follow, and away you go! The rubrics are a little more involved with the older books.

Can't go wrong with the Benedictine Office! I wish there was one set to the OF calendar (nothing against the EF Mass/Office, I love them dearly, just can't attend the EF regularly)