An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Synod And Our Approach To Gay People

Aragon

The Synod and our approach to gay people  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

PhuturePriest

You know, I was wondering how an unorthodox bishop or cardinal made it that far in the hierarchy. I guess it makes more sense that they changed over time rather than they were always like that.

Me, too. I mean, there's no way Pope Benedict would have ever appointed people like Kasper to the rank of Cardinal if they were open about how contrary to Church teaching they are. My thoughts are either their unorthodoxy developed over time, or it was always there and they just kept it quiet until they were in power. Kind of like Voldemort.

Gah, why is everything so comparable to Harry Potter?

No, sorry, you misunderstood. I've got a degree in history, and it's frustrating to see people use Galileo as a stick to beat the Church. Because when people do, it pretty much guarantees that they haven't actually studied the issue. The typical narrative was constructed during the nineteenth century by liberal Protestant historians. Modern historian's research does not fault the Church like those historians did. 

Absolutely hilarious, so now the answer is, Liberal Protestant historians made it all up, so ipsofacto the accounts of history on Galileos' treatment by the Church  is totally false, not to mention if it was actually true the Church would just flat out come forward and admit they made a mistake ( like they always do ).

Of course no one wants to falut the church for anything, it is a hard bitter pill to swallow when the Church does make a mistake, and this wasn't an ah ha beat up the church particular point that i posted, the entire idea of the church being wrong on matters of anything and thusly having to change their position on what ever it was, vs this topic at hand.

The approach to gay people and the church is and has always be, you are welcome to come to mass, just dont recieve communion, but really dont come to mass because you will be gossiped about if people find out.

it's weird though, we just assume couples that are in the pews are not engaging in premarital sex, yet if a homosexual couple were to sit in the same pew, well obviously they are....  This Synod did nothing but yammer around the bush instead of trying to figure out how to change how the layity mindset towards homosexuals actually is. 

So a brief glimpse at how synods work, and how slow the church is to make actual changes from wrong opinions that were made and Galileo as a simple example, it will be pretty easy to conclude that the Synod has made not one inch of room to breaking into the heart of the problem which is how Catholics treat homosexuals, and if you dont think it is an issue, if you dont think people in a parish would gossip, you are mistaken,   As much as the gay community is truly welcome in the church and Christ the reality is they would still be shunned in some way shape or form, as being a dissordered person to some degree and more importantly a " blatant sinner ".

PhuturePriest

Absolutely hilarious, so now the answer is, Liberal Protestant historians made it all up, so ipsofacto the accounts of history on Galileos' treatment by the Church  is totally false, not to mention if it was actually true the Church would just flat out come forward and admit they made a mistake ( like they always do ).

Of course no one wants to falut the church for anything, it is a hard bitter pill to swallow when the Church does make a mistake, and this wasn't an ah ha beat up the church particular point that i posted, the entire idea of the church being wrong on matters of anything and thusly having to change their position on what ever it was, vs this topic at hand.

The approach to gay people and the church is and has always be, you are welcome to come to mass, just dont recieve communion, but really dont come to mass because you will be gossiped about if people find out.

it's weird though, we just assume couples that are in the pews are not engaging in premarital sex, yet if a homosexual couple were to sit in the same pew, well obviously they are....  This Synod did nothing but yammer around the bush instead of trying to figure out how to change how the layity mindset towards homosexuals actually is. 

So a brief glimpse at how synods work, and how slow the church is to make actual changes from wrong opinions that were made and Galileo as a simple example, it will be pretty easy to conclude that the Synod has made not one inch of room to breaking into the heart of the problem which is how Catholics treat homosexuals, and if you dont think it is an issue, if you dont think people in a parish would gossip, you are mistaken,   As much as the gay community is truly welcome in the church and Christ the reality is they would still be shunned in some way shape or form, as being a dissordered person to some degree and more importantly a " blatant sinner ".

Your stubborn ignorance never ceases to amaze me. In reward for this feat, here's a picture that made me smile a few minutes ago:

10599518_10154982576785001_8832027626512

Your stubborn ignorance never ceases to amaze me. In reward for this feat, here's a picture that made me smile a few minutes ago:

10599518_10154982576785001_8832027626512

it isn't stubborn ignorance,i see things for what they are i dont just drink the kool aid given me and go yup that is the truth cause everyone says so, try growing up a lil, it'll help you out in the long run, and please stop pretending like you know me. or hey, try joining the military or the national guard, they can teach you what it means to salute, and on top of that, toughen you up to be able to handle those trecherous hard wood floors in the future .

and it is sad you took the time to try a cheap shot than inputting something close to an intelligent response.

or you could just hop on the laughing band wagon and say someone else made up some more information or how someone told you something that they heard from their second cousin, or perhaps you could have boasted more about your awesome wiccan , homosexual, telepathic friend, who is so open minded to having conversations with you but for some reason you cant seem to convince that stubborn ignorant friend to become catholic, how weird is that.

Edited by superblue

PhuturePriest

it isn't stubborn ignorance,i see things for what they are i dont just drink the kool aid given me and go yup that is the truth cause everyone says so, try growing up a lil, it'll help you out in the long run, and please stop pretending like you know me. or hey, try joining the military or the national guard, they can teach you what it means to salute, and on top of that, toughen you up to be able to handle those trecherous hard wood floors in the future .

and it is sad you took the time to try a cheap shot than inputting something close to an intelligent response.

or you could just hop on the laughing band wagon and say someone else made up some more information or how someone told you something that they heard from their second cousin, or perhaps you could have boasted more about your amesome wiccan , homosexual, telepathic friend, who is so open minded to having conversations with you but for some reason you cant seem to convince that stubborn ignorant friend to become catholic, how weird is that.

I'm a bad Catholic because I haven't converted everyone I know to Catholicism? Seeing as how even Jesus wasn't able to convert even half the people he ran into, I suppose I'm in good company.

I'm a bad Catholic because I haven't converted everyone I know to Catholicism? Seeing as how even Jesus wasn't able to convert even half the people he ran into, I suppose I'm in good company.

congratulations, you not only avoided acknowledging your own idioicy  you still avoided contributing anything useful and instead have gone out of your way to literally derail this thread by following me here and carrying on, im not your bff, just move on.

and you think way to highly of yourself if you are really comparing yourself to Christ.

Edited by superblue

PhuturePriest

congratulations, you not only avoided acknowledging your own idioicy  you still avoided contributing anything useful and instead have gone out of your way to literally derail this thread by following me here and carrying on, im not your bff, just move on.

and you think way to highly of yourself if you are really comparing yourself to Christ.

tumblr_mc30mglZCU1r7lkw4.gif

So a brief glimpse at how synods work, and how slow the church is to make actual changes from wrong opinions that were made and Galileo as a simple example, it will be pretty easy to conclude that the Synod has made not one inch of room to breaking into the heart of the problem which is how Catholics treat homosexuals, and if you dont think it is an issue, if you dont think people in a parish would gossip, you are mistaken,   As much as the gay community is truly welcome in the church and Christ the reality is they would still be shunned in some way shape or form, as being a dissordered person to some degree and more importantly a " blatant 

I didn't say they made it all up, of course parts of their narrative are true. And of course the Church makes mistakes, if you look through my previous posts you'll see that I acknowledge this on numerous occasions. I simply wanted to point out that your use of Galileo as an example of the Church making a mistake is a poor one, based on a better understanding of the history. 

But I'm pretty sure you just want to rant angrily on the internet, so go right ahead. Don't let me stop you. 

I didn't say they made it all up, of course parts of their narrative are true. And of course the Church makes mistakes, if you look through my previous posts you'll see that I acknowledge this on numerous occasions. I simply wanted to point out that your use of Galileo as an example of the Church making a mistake is a poor one, based on a better understanding of the history. 

But I'm pretty sure you just want to rant angrily on the internet, so go right ahead. Don't let me stop you. 

nope it isn't an angry rant, and i didnt find Galileo to be a poor example, nor did i mean to suggest that you personally do not acknowledge mistakes made by the Church, but if Galileo doesn't work for you as a good example, then pick a better one and still apply it to this situation here, but to wave the flag of knowledge and now say that parts are true and they didn't make it all up is confusing, which truths from history are then acceptable to acknowledge. Either the church did persecute Galileo or they didn't, and i am not finding a plethra of information to suggest it didn't.

but again it doesn't matter, the Synod did more damage than it did good, the Church wont budge on anything, and even if they did, " conservative catholics " would lose their collective minds and the other side of the coin would romp around bragging about some major victory won that was never even a fight to be fought to win in the first place.

History has shown that change comes with a price, and unfortunately for the Church it is going to cost another hefty price if any major changes did take place even if it were for the good.

PhuturePriest

nope it isn't an angry rant, and i didnt find Galileo to be a poor example, nor did i mean to suggest that you personally do not acknowledge mistakes made by the Church, but if Galileo doesn't work for you as a good example, then pick a better one and still apply it to this situation here, but to wave the flag of knowledge and now say that parts are true and they didn't make it all up is confusing, which truths from history are then acceptable to acknowledge. Either the church did persecute Galileo or they didn't, and i am not finding a plethra of information to suggest it didn't.

but again it doesn't matter, the Synod did more damage than it did good, the Church wont budge on anything, and even if they did, " conservative catholics " would lose their collective minds and the other side of the coin would romp around bragging about some major victory won that was never even a fight to be fought to win in the first place.

History has shown that change comes with a price, and unfortunately for the Church it is going to cost another hefty price if any major changes did take place even if it were for the good.

I'm getting the feeling you don't want to have that coffee date with me.