An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Synod And Our Approach To Gay People

Aragon

The Synod and our approach to gay people  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes you can, because the personal choices of a couple who have nothing to do with your personal choices dont affect you at all.

Also, none of your business.

They're part of my family, and their personal choices in this regard do certainly have an affect (particularly via influence) on me and my children. So that, in and of itself, is a concern. How can we deal lovingly and charitably with them, while also reasonably and prudently guarding our family from potential bad influences?

Phatmass, and this thread, isn't likely a good place to have thoughtful discussions on the topic at hand. But whether you like it or not, it's an issue many families grapple with and it was mentioned specifically at the synod, via the couple and their friends who welcomed their gay son and his partner for Christmas dinner. So, it might not matter to you, but it was a matter thought worthy enough to be considered at the synod.

If someone is going to freak out because a gay son and his partner are having Christmas with their respective families...that is not and I repeat NOT the son or is partners fault. It is the fault of the people who are ill equipped to handle dealing with human beings in a respectful and loving manner.

Parents have both a positive obligation to instruct and lead their children in the faith and moral conduct, and a negative obligation to help them avoid sin and error. The methods by which this can/should be accomplished will take different forms in different situations, according to different states in life and personal circumstances. But it is a grave responsibility, and it never goes away.

Unfortunately for CrossCut, these responsibilities always correspond with the Truth of the Catholic Faith. 

It's not about freaking out. And no one is saying it's anyone's fault. It's a discussion about what is the Christ-like way to deal with a situation such as this, with respect to the moral teachings of the Church and the perfection of charity to which we are all called. It's really not freak-out-worthy at all.

Cardinal Burke isn't at the Synod, so I'm not sure why he is making public statements about it, or telling his boss how to do his job.

nvm. Had a post but its pointless.

Yall have fun.

Dont know why I bother trying to talk to the sheep.

I hope you dont get ebola.

Cardinal Burke isn't at the Synod, so I'm not sure why he is making public statements about it, or telling his boss how to do his job.

Yes he is.

He was also elected under secret ballot to the English speaking small group. Make no mistake - His Eminence may be on the outs right now, but he is still considered a major player.

Deservedly too. He is quite possibly the single most qualified man in the world to discuss validity and sacramentality of marriages, the annulment process, and the implications of Canon 915.

My mistake. I thought his recent job move meant he wasn't going. I haven't been following it very close until something concrete comes out. Still, telling the Pope what to do isn't proper. You guys went ballistic when Bishops disagreed with Benedict.

KnightofChrist

My mistake. I thought his recent job move meant he wasn't going. I haven't been following it very close until something concrete comes out. Still, telling the Pope what to do isn't proper. You guys went ballistic when Bishops disagreed with Benedict.

Card. Burke is defending the Faith. I'm sorry you object to that.

Actually, I don't think that is a fair comparison. Pope Francis has asked that the bishops discuss this, he has asked for a dialogue. There could be legitimate debate on whether that's being done, but I don't think you can claim Cardinal Burke's completely out of line. On the other hand, different bishops worked really hard to directly fight Pope Benedict. I think there's obviously a difference here. 

Also, Burke hasn't been moved yet. There's been nothing official either way, unless something has happened that I didn't notice. 

Just to be clear, I don't necessarily agree with the way with Cardinal Burke is going about things, but I do agree with his general point. We shall see how this all plays out. 

Edited by Amppax

Card. Burke is defending the Faith. I'm sorry you object to that.

Well there's definitely more to it than that. But soundbites are more fun.