An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholics Don't Need To Breed Like Rabbits

Ancilla Domini

Its ok :) I'm sorry if I was unclear and/or wrong about anything. I'm trying to understand what the Church teaches. Its just that when I found out that there are certain reasons for NFP and its not just something you can do for any reason at all, my immediate thought was - how come this is so rarely mentioned and also I'd want to not err with these reasons. One of the reasons I made such dramatic examples was to not make a mistake and I just played it safe - or so I thought , haha!!

Cherie, just to clarify that too - lol I'm not having a good day with communicating my thoughts well!! I meant its good to check with a priest and I wasn't thinking of the specific question of whether its necessary.

Anyways... This is one intense thread, maybe too intense for me, so I think I will venture back into vocation station... :D very difficult topics here at debate table! But good talking to you all!

I'm glad you took part. :) If you do have a vocation to religious life, it's very, very, VERY important for religious--especially if they deal with laity on a regular basis--to have a clear understanding of the Church's teaching on NFP and responsible parenthood. So many priests and religious nowadays have NO clue what it's all about, and it's so disheartening. Their bad information or faulty presuppositions get passed onto the laity and it forms a very unfortunate snowball effect.

Archaeology cat

Its ok :) I'm sorry if I was unclear and/or wrong about anything. I'm trying to understand what the Church teaches. Its just that when I found out that there are certain reasons for NFP and its not just something you can do for any reason at all, my immediate thought was - how come this is so rarely mentioned and also I'd want to not err with these reasons. One of the reasons I made such dramatic examples was to not make a mistake and I just played it safe - or so I thought , haha!!

Cherie, just to clarify that too - lol I'm not having a good day with communicating my thoughts well!! I meant its good to check with a priest and I wasn't thinking of the specific question of whether its necessary.

Anyways... This is one intense thread, maybe too intense for me, so I think I will venture back into vocation station... :D very difficult topics here at debate table! But good talking to you all!

I think one reason it isn't mentioned is that it's like pulling teeth to get people to even consider using NFP sometimes. I do mention that it's not necessary to use it, just that it is the only licit means of postponing, besides complete abstinence. But NFP is also used to achieve pregnancy, or for health reasons (for example, charting revealed some hormonal problems I was having, so I was able to then go to my doctor for further testing). Believe me, the problem isn't widespread misuse of NFP - few people actually use it, unfortunately. 

MarysLittleFlower

I see what you mean! Its a difficult topic to begin with. This might make it more difficult. I hope there are some good resources though explaining it in detail for those who are open to it..

You can't have big families, but then create social hysteria because barbarian immigrants from the third world are overrunning your border trying to feed their kids and escape violence and poverty from young people in gangs who have no jobs, no hope, no future.

You can't have big families, but then create social hysteria because barbarian immigrants from the third world are overrunning your border trying to feed their kids and escape violence and poverty from young people in gangs who have no jobs, no hope, no future.

ETA: The Pope is probably speaking from that perspective, as a Latin American.

I am sorry can you please rephrase this I am Confused. Are you say the pope is against having large families because it feed the social hysteria? or that because of the Social hysteria keep a smaller family so it would be easier to flee the Violence?

I am sorry can you please rephrase this I am Confused. Are you say the pope is against having large families because it feed the social hysteria? or that because of the Social hysteria keep a smaller family so it would be easier to flee the Violence?

No, that having large families is not a good in itself, people have real-life concerns, it's not just first-world "lifestyle" concerns about having the perfect-sized family with 2.5 kids and a white picket fence. And even lifestyle concerns are legit to some extent, it's about quality, not quantity. It's not easy juggling a job, kids, and a wife, etc. Modern families today aren't clans where you breed a whole nation through your concubines.

What does this even mean?

I'm thinking probably the people who like to police NFP-users, making they're not using NFP to avoid pregnancy for "non-serious reasons."

Because these are precisely the people who DID go bonkers.

franciscanheart

Going bonkers, so long as you have the means to support your family, is fine. I don't see where the Pope has said anything contrary to Catholic teaching.

Going bonkers, so long as you have the means to support your family, is fine. I don't see where the Pope has said anything contrary to Catholic teaching.

Exactly. It seemed like a non-issue to me; he was reiterating Church teaching. What was all the hullabaloo!?

Also, did anyone post this here? This puts it in a clearer context (not that it even needed that, but apparently it did): http://www.andthesethygifts.com/2015/01/21/its-not-about-rabbits-but-maybe-its-not-about-you-either/

I really think we should be concerned about the "irresponsible pregnant lady" narrative. The more I think about it, the less I think it can just be brushed aside.