An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Care Package Thread

Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday

Oh bless. I've seen this fish before.

Ignatius, you're not the only one who has misinterpreted FuturePriest's attempts at humor. He and I have been down this road before.

Once I realized that he and I are 20 years apart in age, it made things a lot easier. Good luck.

:P

AccountDeleted

Care packages really depend on the person, don't they? My daughter would want Vegemite and Milo but neither of those would appeal to me at all! :P

For me, a good Care package would be a bottle of a nice wine, perhaps some special chocolates like a Cadbury's cream filled Easter egg or a Reece's peanut butter cup (or other things), and maybe some aromatherapy type things like a candle or lotion etc. Scents can really help relax me. 

And if someone sent me a card of any kind, I would assume it meant they cared about me, and would really appreciate it! :) 

PhuturePriest

Oh bless. I've seen this fish before.

Ignatius, you're not the only one who has misinterpreted FuturePriest's attempts at humor. He and I have been down this road before.

Once I realized that he and I are 20 years apart in age, it made things a lot easier. Good luck.

:P

​Your case was different. I used a phrase used by the youth. In this case I was just being sarcastic, which after three years I'd think people would understand when I'm being sarcastic.

But I digress. Onwards with the thread.

veritasluxmea

That would explain why his posts never confuse me up...

That would also explain why Iggy and some other older (than me) user's posts sound off or weird when I read them. I'm going to say lol here so no one gets confused. ;)

Care packages really depend on the person, don't they?

​And also the situation- A care package for an expectant mother would look different than one for your cousin who was just diagnosed with lung cancer. I've heard there are three things you should keep in mind when getting items for a care package- the person (basic human items they might need, anything from personal care to a new shirt) the situation (what they're dealing with that promoted you to send the package- anything from belly creams for new moms to essential oils for emotional breakdowns) and a personal touch (not related to the situation, something between the two of you.)

Here's a pintrest board for military care packages.

Here's a general pintrest board with all kinds of ideas for every situation

Ash Wednesday

​Your case was different. I used a phrase used by the youth. In this case I was just being sarcastic, which after three years I'd think people would understand when I'm being sarcastic.

​Ehhhh...it's a maturity issue that spans more than a single incident. There were also cases where I also didn't pick up on your sarcasm, I know I'm not the only one. If it's something that you are finding to be a frequent thing with people, then perhaps that is just something to consider when interacting with people online.

I would want an Arby's Roast Beef sandwich or 2 or 3, Oreos and Reese's, a gift card to the Rifle Paper Co and some new socks (because there is nothing more luxurious than a soft brand new pair of nicer socks!)

PhuturePriest

​Ehhhh...it's a maturity issue that spans more than a single incident. There were also cases where I also didn't pick up on your sarcasm, I know I'm not the only one. If it's something that you are finding to be a frequent thing with people, then perhaps that is just something to consider when interacting with people online.

​I don't struggle with it with most people. You and Ignatius are the only ones who seem to regularly struggle with it.

Ash Wednesday

​I don't struggle with it with most people. You and Ignatius are the only ones who seem to regularly struggle with it.

seh6p.gif

AccountDeleted

​You can add me to that list of people who have problems understanding you. If three people admit to it, there are probably some more who just don't want to say anything for various reasons. Even if you don't want to hear me, Iggy and Ash Wednesday are pretty solid people with a lot of common sense. It wouldn't hurt you to listen to them.

AccountDeleted

I would want an Arby's Roast Beef sandwich or 2 or 3, Oreos and Reese's, a gift card to the Rifle Paper Co and some new socks (because there is nothing more luxurious than a soft brand new pair of nicer socks!)

​I like the idea of socks, but in my case, I would prefer bed socks! Nothing makes me happier than a cold wet day when I can be indoors, all wrapped up and cozy in woolies and bed socks and drinking cups of tea and eating toast while either reading a good book or watching something enjoyable on video. :) 

​Well, I assumed the statement "Give me money. Lots and lots of money." was pretty self-explanatory in its sarcasm, unless your impression of me is that I'm very greedy.

​How is asking for money sarcastic? That is a legitimate need for people and a very common thing to ask for.

franciscanheart

One of my favorite things I've gotten is homemade soap. I also love to receive hand-written letters, pictures from kids, and candles. Oh, and incense!

AccountDeleted

One of my favorite things I've gotten is homemade soap. I also love to receive hand-written letters, pictures from kids, and candles. Oh, and incense!

​Ah yes, incense is a nice present - scents can be so soothing. And candles are nice too. :)