An Old School Catholic Message Board

Props are now up and down +/-

dUSt

I am not looking forward to this, but I will go along, as others say, just to see what happens.

My concern is that there are some self-appointed "charity police" on Phatmass, and they tend to be the most uncharitable people on here. I'm worried they will use down-props to "get revenge" on people who down-prop them. There are also cliques on here, which means people are likely to gang up on those in other cliques. Uncivil all around...

I'm also worried people will become obsessed with their numbers. Empirical studies have shown that there are positive, healthy ways to use social media (include forums), and there are negative, unhealthy ways. Numbers contribute a lot to the latter. They don't do much for the former.

Also, given superblue's comment, I wonder if being able to express disagreement (with consequences for a person's reputation) by simply clicking "down" will shallow out the depth of discussion that sometimes happens on PM. I mean, it's easier to click "down" to disagree rather than to actually give reasons. But it's nobler to explain what you disagree, to give the person opportunity to respond.

Edited by Gabriela

PhuturePriest

What about having a smiley face instead of an up arrow, and a mad face instead of a down arrow?

​That sounds juvenile and patronizing.

It's perfect.

I would rather we not do this. I thought the negative points from before encouraged a lot of hostility. But I'd you think it will work, I guess I will give it a try.

I notice I have already gotten one negative somewhere.

I do like the thumbs. They remind me of Happy Gilmore. 

​Maybe a thumb for positives and a different digit for the negatives.

it's easier to click "down" to disagree rather than to actually give reasons. 

​It is easier to pull the trigger than to play the guitar. Easier to destroy than create. They killed the woman I love. They ruined my life.

I think the current icons are more representative of how I'd like these to be used. The "void" or "ban" icon seems more serious than just a general "dislike". When one clicks on that icon they think that post needs to go. haha

​It is easier to pull the trigger than to play the guitar. Easier to destroy than create. They killed the woman I love. They ruined my life.

Case in point.

I negative propped this idea. 

Which, coincidentally, I did before reading all of your post dUSt. Mea culpa, I'll reserve that treatment for things truly deserving it. 

Edited by Amppax

I negative propped this idea. 

Which, coincidentally, I did before reading all of your post dUSt. Mea culpa, I'll reserve that treatment for things truly deserving it. 

​Bah! I didnt mean to down prop your comment! How do I take it back?Oh i see. I just up propped it.

Edited by CrossCuT

AccountDeleted

It may also motivate me to create a "Negative Nancy" group--where I move all members who overly abuse the negative props. The Negative Nancys will only be allowed to + prop. lol

​Now this is an interesting statement. So what constitutes abuse of the negative props? Does using all of one's negative props for the day mean one has abused them? If one uses all one's positive props, is that abuse as well? I am curious because it implies that one can positively prop until the cows come home but if one strongly feels that someone is posting really bad stuff, they should not be negatively propping these, because then one will get a rep as a Negative Nancy.

Having already been told in the past I am a Debbie Downer for pointing out some negative things, do I now strive to include myself in this new outspoken group, the Negative Nancys and eventually get banned, or do I simply tow the party line, which is that positive props are fine, negative props will be punished? In that case, what is the point of the negative props again if we're not encouraged to use them? I just don't see the point in them if there is a threat held over our heads for using them.  We might as well just have positive props then we can all go back to pretending that none of us are mean enough to down prop someone. :o 

Just saying ...

OriginalSin

It may also motivate me to create a "Negative Nancy" group--where I move all members who overly abuse the negative props. The Negative Nancys will only be allowed to + prop. lol

​Challenge: accepted.

BarbTherese

Sorry Winchester - Don't know how to eliminate a misquote of mine!

Edited by BarbaraTherese