An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocation retreat with the Nashies!!!

4LoveofJMJ

I am (finally) going on the May vocation retreat with the Nashville Dominicans and have a few questions on what to bring. I know it's a ways away but the vocation director is out of town for a bit and since I'm flying in, I would like to know ahead of time so that I can pack accordingly. Will I need a sleeping bag? I'm assuming there will be an opportunity to shower unlike the DSMME retreat? 

Anyone else going?

Any information you can provide will be extremely helpful!

So excited!!!!!!!

HopefulHeart

I went on the January vocation retreat with the Nashies a couple of years ago. I did not need a sleeping bag, since the retreatants slept in a dormitory. Each girl got her own bed and desk, surrounded by curtains for privacy. There is a bathroom attached to the dormitory with several showers, so I could shower there before going to bed or in the morning. (I know what you mean about not being able to shower at the DSMME retreats. I once went early to one of their retreats, and I felt rather icky by the end because I hadn't showered for two days.)

I'm sure you'll enjoy the retreat! My experience there was wonderful. The motherhouse is gorgeous and the sisters are so lovely.

I went on the January vocation retreat with the Nashies a couple of years ago. I did not need a sleeping bag, since the retreatants slept in a dormitory. Each girl got her own bed and desk, surrounded by curtains for privacy. There is a bathroom attached to the dormitory with several showers, so I could shower there before going to bed or in the morning. (I know what you mean about not being able to shower at the DSMME retreats. I once went early to one of their retreats, and I felt rather icky by the end because I hadn't showered for two days.)

I'm sure you'll enjoy the retreat! My experience there was wonderful. The motherhouse is gorgeous and the sisters are so lovely.

Ugh I hated not being able to shower! I made sure to wake up early enough to wash my hair in one of the sinks. It helped a bit but not much. My group had to stay over night an extra night due to the threat of tornadoes so we were able to sleep in the guestrooms at the Motherhouse. We were finally able to take showers! Lol!

Rosary

Breviary

Alarm Clock

Clothes

Religious Books

Card Game

Clothes

anyone else have ideas?

​I don't have a breviary... will they have extras or will I need to buy one? Are we allowed to keep our phones with us because that is my alarm clock. Plus I need to have it so that I can contact a family member to pick me up when the retreat is over.

veritasluxmea

They usually send out an e-mail with a "to bring" list sometime in May, you should get it in a few weeks. Have you been on one of their Jesu Caritas retreats? Bring what you would for that, but more for a longer stay. Yes, you can bring a phone... they have a spot where you can store it in a basket for the retreat so you can participate without the distraction, but you don't have to put it there. They won't check or anything. I've kept mine on me for the retreat before. You won't need it for an alarm unless you plan on getting up before six am, they have a CRAZY LOUD bell that goes off. Twice. And yes, you can take showers pretty much whenever you want (when you've just woken up, before bed, during free time.)  No Breviary is needed, they print out the LOTH in a little book for you.

Edited by veritasluxmea

HopefulHeart

Ugh I hated not being able to shower! I made sure to wake up early enough to wash my hair in one of the sinks. It helped a bit but not much. My group had to stay over night an extra night due to the threat of tornadoes so we were able to sleep in the guestrooms at the Motherhouse. We were finally able to take showers! Lol!

​I don't have a breviary... will they have extras or will I need to buy one? Are we allowed to keep our phones with us because that is my alarm clock. Plus I need to have it so that I can contact a family member to pick me up when the retreat is over.

​Lol, I attempted to wash my hair in the sink, but it didn't really work.

As veritasluxmea said, you can keep your phone with you and you don't need a breviary.

They usually send out an e-mail with a "to bring" list sometime in May, you should get it in a few weeks. Have you been on one of their Jesu Caritas retreats? Bring what you would for that, but more for a longer stay. Yes, you can bring a phone... they have a spot where you can store it in a basket for the retreat so you can participate without the distraction, but you don't have to put it there. They won't check or anything, I've kept mine on me for the retreat before. No Breviary is needed, they print out the LOTH in a little book for you.

​No I haven't been to one of those yet. It was suggested that I use a Jesu Caritas as a first encounter with the order but it was easier to go to the vocational retreat. I'm so excited! I can hardly wait!!!

I have no input as to what to bring/what not to bring...but I just wanted to say Congratulations!  It's always very exciting getting to go on vocation retreats and the Nashville Dominicans are a beautiful, beautiful order.  I'll be praying for you, that it goes well, and that God in His love will manifest His Will more clearly for you during your time of retreat!  

4LoveofJMJ

​Lol, I attempted to wash my hair in the sink, but it didn't really work.

As veritasluxmea said, you can keep your phone with you and you don't need a breviary.

​Lol thankfully I have very thin hair so it was manageable. 

I have no input as to what to bring/what not to bring...but I just wanted to say Congratulations!  It's always very exciting getting to go on vocation retreats and the Nashville Dominicans are a beautiful, beautiful order.  I'll be praying for you, that it goes well, and that God in His love will manifest His Will more clearly for you during your time of retreat!  

Thank you so much for your kind words. This is my second vocations retreat. As you might have guessed, the first one was with the DSMME and it wasn't all that peaceful. Hopefully this one allows more contemplation and interaction with the order. I have more peace this time then I did before. 

4LoveofJMJ

tell us about your your retreat with the DSMME!

​Well to start off, it was an amazing experience. I loved it so much! It was a lot of fun and the sisters were so joyful. We were able to have all night Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament and each have some personal time to talk with Sr. Joseph Andrew. Oh gosh I love her! She is so motherly and insightful. I really enjoyed talking with her.

Unfortunately it was entirely too short! There was not much of a chance to interact much with the sisters and to really get a feel of the order beyond the fact that they are very joyful. It was only a brief tasting of the order. To me, it seem more of a vocational discernment retreat for any vocation (marriage, religious life, single life etc.) rather then a vocation to their order. Helpful yes but not what one would expect.

I definitely recommend going to anyone who is thinking about it.

I hope you have a great time on your retreat with the Nashies!  They were the very first order I ever visited and I'm always grateful for that because it was a wonderful introduction to religious life.  I just remember being in the chapel for Compline and being overwhelmed by how beautiful it was and also being in awe that these Sisters got to experience this every night.

​Well to start off, it was an amazing experience. I loved it so much! It was a lot of fun and the sisters were so joyful. We were able to have all night Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament and each have some personal time to talk with Sr. Joseph Andrew. Oh gosh I love her! She is so motherly and insightful. I really enjoyed talking with her.

Unfortunately it was entirely too short! There was not much of a chance to interact much with the sisters and to really get a feel of the order beyond the fact that they are very joyful. It was only a brief tasting of the order. To me, it seem more of a vocational discernment retreat for any vocation (marriage, religious life, single life etc.) rather then a vocation to their order. Helpful yes but not what one would expect.

I definitely recommend going to anyone who is thinking about it.

Glad you had a good time 4LoveofJMJ! :)​

Swami Mommy

To add to John Paul's excellent suggestions, I would also consider bringing your journal, handkerchiefs or Kleenex for emotional moments, ear plugs (to block out the sound of snorers!), needed prescription medications, flip flops for the shower, a small flashlight and maybe some small snack bags of trail mix or hard candies.

Edited by Swami Mommy
adding more ideas and correcting a typo.

4LoveofJMJ

I hope you have a great time on your retreat with the Nashies!  They were the very first order I ever visited and I'm always grateful for that because it was a wonderful introduction to religious life.  I just remember being in the chapel for Compline and being overwhelmed by how beautiful it was and also being in awe that these Sisters got to experience this every night.

​Me too! :) I can't wait to experience that side of religious life. At the DSMME, the only time I heard the sisters saying the LOTH was the night before the retreat officially began. We were driving in so they allowed us to come early. It was so pretty! I wished I could have heard more.

Glad you had a good time 4LoveofJMJ! :)​

​Yes I had a wonderful time. It was certainly a roller coaster of emotions though.

To add to John Paul's excellent suggestions, I would also consider bringing your journal, handkerchiefs or Kleenex for emotional moments, ear plugs (to block out the sound of snorers!), needed prescription medications, flip flops for the shower, a small flashlight and maybe some small snack bags of trail mix or hard candies.

​I will definitely bring a journal. I carried one all through the DSMME retreat to record whatever thoughts I had at the moment. Drawing some of them were extremely helpful. I love going back and looking at them. Thanks for the other tips as well! :)