An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocation retreat with the Nashies!!!

4LoveofJMJ

Update!!! Ah there's no place like home! I meant to post earlier but I'm glad I didn't for reasons I'll explain.

Well after a phone call with Sr. John Thomas, we set an appointment for me to make a visit at the Motherhouse for a tour and evening prayers. Since I didn't know my way around Nashville, I had my uncle drive me. I was a bit nervous about it because my uncle isn't Catholic and I don't know how much interaction he has had with religious sisters. The ride was quiet as usual until we got there. There were Nashies walking around all over the place! I think it shocked him a little. Lol! I thought he was just going to drop me off and go straight home but he decided to walk me in the last minute. I've never seen him so wide eyed and curious before. When Sr. John Thomas arrived, he was so cheerful and respectful. In the 2 weeks that I've stayed at his house, I've never seen him act like that before. He was even joking with Sr. John Thomas about whether or not he could get his kid back or not.

Joking aside, the visit was amazing! The Motherhouse is absolutely beautiful! The sense of history and heritage of the order was felt at all times. I wish I could have looked around more but we had to head to the chapel for evening prayer. I've never really prayed the LoTH before so it was quiet an experience. I loved sitting in the pew looking around at all the sisters. I wish I could have stayed there longer.

Even though it wasn't a vocational visit, I felt more at peace when I was with the Nashies then when I was with the DSMME. I didn't feel like an outsider peering into a world where I didn't belong. It was very interesting.

Opps! I forgot something! The good reason that I didn't post sooner.

My cousin and her adorable 3 yrold daughter (L) brought me to the Nashville airport when it was time for me to fly home. L was so cute! She had never been to the airport before and was talking a mile a minute! I've never heard her talk so fast. Anyway, while I was waiting for my plane when I saw some familiar habits walking to our gate. Three Nashies were taking the same flight I was! Oh my gosh I was so excited! I was able to talk to them but unfortunately I can't remember their names. We had a nice chat and I even got a picture with them. When I showed the sisters, one of them exclaimed how pretty we were! Lol! She told me to put that as the caption. I loved talking with them!

Anyway, it was an enjoyable visit that had so many blessings around each turn.

Thanks everyone for the prayers, advice, and making it to the end of this long post. :D

TheresaThoma

That is amesome in so many ways! God always has surprises, like Sisters taking the same flight!!

I didn't feel like an outsider peering into a world where I didn't belong. It was very interesting.

I like how you said this. I realized that it was this way with "my" community. I didn't feel like an outsider, I just kinda fit. I hope that you can make a longer visit/retreat soon

That is amesome in so many ways! God always has surprises, like Sisters taking the same flight!!

I like how you said this. I realized that it was this way with "my" community. I didn't feel like an outsider, I just kinda fit. I hope that you can make a longer visit/retreat soon

​Yeah I couldn't believe my eyes! It was one of those things where you hoped it would happen but it probably never would.

I couldn't get over the difference of the way I felt in their chapel compared to the DSMME. I wasn't there to discern but I couldn't help but feel at ease there.

Do you know if you will you be attending the October retreat?

​You know, I haven't given it much thought. I completely forgot about it to be honest. I want to but I don't know if I can or will because my family is going through some financial issues right now. I don't know how things will be in October.

TheresaThoma

​You know, I haven't given it much thought. I completely forgot about it to be honest. I want to but I don't know if I can or will because my family is going through some financial issues right now. I don't know how things will be in October.

​Do you know if there are any Knights of Columbus councils near you? They may be able to help out with paying for the retreat. Supporting vocations is a big part of what they do.

veritasluxmea

​You know, I haven't given it much thought. I completely forgot about it to be honest. I want to but I don't know if I can or will because my family is going through some financial issues right now. I don't know how things will be in October.​

Ok, October is a long ways off- let me know if you do go. I'll keep praying for you!  

​Do you know if there are any Knights of Columbus councils near you? They may be able to help out with paying for the retreat. Supporting vocations is a big part of what they do.

​Yes we do but I haven't thought to ask them. I was going to ask them for money for WYD Poland but never got around to it. Glad I waited because I learned about something that changed my thoughts on whether I should go or not.

Ok, October is a long ways off- let me know if you do go. I'll keep praying for you!  

​Will do!