An Old School Catholic Message Board

Choosing a Martial Art

beatitude

​That is what they want you to think. A large portion of martial arts, especially 'traditional' ones, is quackery and pseudoscience. Most of what you hear is legend at best, and straight up lies at worst.

​I don't think it's all legend and pseudoscience as you say, I think some of these techniques were the craft of possessed men. We hear it often in various cultures that certain skills were taught by fallen spirits, and based on what people have reported to me who are deeply involved in Akido, it's also true for this. One even senses 'them' as they progress in the discipline.

​You can take the combat out of the man. Once you have them down, if you continue to deliver strikes, then you can be charged with a crime. 

​Again, you are correct, Winchester.  An individual can only act in self defense in response to what is happening--not what might happen.  If you continue with force (after the perpetrator is incapacitated)--you will, indeed, be charged.  The burden of proof (for a self-defense case) shifts then, to you.  Interestingly, this is true in both civilian and military courts. 

I still recommend a basic self-defense course for Beatitude--and always being aware of one's surroundings.

Nihil Obstat

​I don't think it's all legend and pseudoscience as you say, I think some of these techniques were the craft of possessed men. We hear it often in various cultures that certain skills were taught by fallen spirits, and based on what people have reported to me who are deeply involved in Akido, it's also true for this. One even senses 'them' as they progress in the discipline.

We will agree to disagree then. I think you are totally out to lunch on this one, but as your opinions are not falsifiable we do not really have much left to discuss. :P 

I have reached a rather high level in Shotokan karate, and there is not nor has there ever been a spiritual dimension. That I can guarantee on my honour as a Catholic.

We will agree to disagree then. I think you are totally out to lunch on this one, but as your opinions are not falsifiable we do not really have much left to discuss. :P 

I have reached a rather high level in Shotokan karate, and there is not nor has there ever been a spiritual dimension. That I can guarantee on my honour as a Catholic.

Can't speak on that discipline, but Akido definitely has a preternatural dimension.

PhuturePriest

Can't speak on that discipline, but Akido definitely has a preternatural dimension.

​Believe what you will. I know people who practice Aikido who in no way have any sort of religious connotations with it. Were there religious connotations at the beginning? Certainly. But claiming you can't separate the two is quite the claim, and unfortunately it's a matter that we can only argue on the front of the people we personally know, which is by no means proper grounds for an effective debate.

​Believe what you will. I know people who practice Aikido who in no way have any sort of religious connotations with it. Were there religious connotations at the beginning? Certainly. But claiming you can't separate the two is quite the claim, and unfortunately it's a matter that we can only argue on the front of the people we personally know, which is by no means proper grounds for an effective debate.

I took "karate" lessons when I was younger but I realized as I got older that I didn't really learn genuine Karate. This was more of an Americanized commercial product than the genuine Korean discipline. And so I would say if you friend's sensei is himself not imbued with the kami, then he is not a genuine sensei :P

PhuturePriest

I took "karate" lessons when I was younger but I realized as I got older that I didn't really learn genuine Karate. This was more of an Americanized commercial product than the genuine Korean discipline. And so I would say if you friend's sensei is himself not imbued with the kami, then he is not a genuine sensei :P

​I take traditional karate. We've got all the discipline, respect, and unpleasantness characteristic of a traditional dojo without all the weird spirituality. Now I do also know a black belt who, despite being a Christian, accepts some of the weird eastern spirituality stuff, up to and including auras of people and being able to sense them in the dark due to their spiritual aura. I know the difference between a guy like that and the people I work with regularly. 

"Sensei" does not mean religious figure, it means teacher. And a teacher can choose not to teach some things and still be a genuine teacher.

Nihil Obstat

Karate is Japanese. Taekwondo is Korean. 

"Sensei" does not mean religious figure, it means teacher. And a teacher can choose not to teach some things and still be a genuine teacher.

Sense comes from the Chinese word xiansheng. Two characters which translate literally to "born before". In Chinese it is used more as a respectful "mister" or "sir" whereas in Japan it gradually took on its meaning as a title for teachers and doctors.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with kami or qi and carries no implication of spiritual development.

PhuturePriest

Karate is Japanese. Taekwondo is Korean. 

Sense comes from the Chinese word xiansheng. Two characters which translate literally to "born before". In Chinese it is used more as a respectful "mister" or "sir" whereas in Japan it gradually took on its meaning as a title for teachers and doctors.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with kami or qi and carries no implication of spiritual development.

23a2a6ee998024ea1820e89bcfe35745639f63e4

Nihil Obstat

I was on my phone when I typed it up, but the characters are 先生。

Word Decomposition
turtle.gif xiān early; prior; former; in advance; first
turtle.gif shēng to be born; to give birth; life; to grow; raw; uncooked; student

To beatitude and all my fellow ladies on here, this video is part of a series and you can watch them all on youtube.  yes they are old but his advice stands the test of time.  Sorry the audio has a bit of a ticking noise.

There are likely many more up to date videos on youtube talking about self defense for women, so if this one seems lame at least watch something else  that can provide you with tips you can use today while you wait to take classes and such.