An Old School Catholic Message Board

Choosing a Martial Art

beatitude

Karate is Japanese. Taekwondo is Korean. 

Sense comes from the Chinese word xiansheng. Two characters which translate literally to "born before". In Chinese it is used more as a respectful "mister" or "sir" whereas in Japan it gradually took on its meaning as a title for teachers and doctors.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with kami or qi and carries no implication of spiritual development.

​Nihil is speaking of the word "Sensei" in its general context and etymology, and in this sense he is absolutely correct, however in specific use within Akido, a Sensei most certainly is connected with spiritual development and Kami. In genuine Akido, the spiritual aspect and discipline are inseparable. 

Winchester

Could y'all take your weaboo fight elsewhere?

Edited by Winchester

PhuturePriest

Could y'all take your weaboo fight elsewhere?

​Phatmass is strong when weaboo fights are rampant. 

Nihil Obstat

​Nihil is speaking of the word "Sensei" in its general context and etymology, and in this sense he is absolutely correct, however in specific use within Akido, a Sensei most certainly is connected with spiritual development and Kami. In genuine Akido, the spiritual aspect and discipline are inseparable. 

​Then Aikido is the exception, while the actual usage of 先生 is the rule. Your argument is basically the same as saying that since Satanists call their leaders priests and priestesses, that the word priest is inherently linked with Satanism. You are getting it backwards. "Genuine Aikido" (which is frankly a pretty nebulous concept to begin with, as with all Eastern martial arts) is the outlier in this sense.

IgnatiusofLoyola

​Could y'all take your weaboo fight elsewhere?

​I think the detailed discussion of the spiritual aspect of the martial arts has strayed pretty far from the original topic. FP--I know that you have gotten frustrated in the past when you felt that your posts (I remember one in VS) have expanded to cover topics beyond the intent of the original post, so I'm sure you understand how it might feel to other readers.

That's not to say that the spiritual aspect of the martial arts is not a legitimate topic for Phatmass, but perhaps it warrants its own thread, so that those who are not interested will know they can skip the thread.

Later note: For some reason, the reply function quoted Winchester's comment instead of FP's. (I DID post my reply to FP's post.) FP's post stated: Phatmass is strong when weaboo fights are rampant.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

PhuturePriest

​I think the detailed discussion of the spiritual aspect of the martial arts has strayed pretty far from the original topic. FP--I know that you have gotten frustrated in the past when you felt that your posts (I remember one in VS) have expanded to cover topics beyond the intent of the original post, so I'm sure you understand how it might feel to other readers.

That's not to say that the spiritual aspect of the martial arts is not a legitimate topic for Phatmass, but perhaps it warrants its own thread, so that those who are not interested will know they can skip the thread.

Later note: For some reason, the reply function quoted Winchester's comment instead of FP's. (I DID post my reply to FP's post.) FP's post stated: Phatmass is strong when weaboo fights are rampant.

​Um, if you look, I repeatedly said that we should stop arguing and get back to the original topic. Ark is the one you should be addressing this to, not me. 

Secondly, I was trolling Winchester. It's kind of what I do.

Back on topic, I'll second those saying to carry mace or get trained with and carry a handgun.  And, of course, stay out of dangerous situations as much as possible.

Martial arts aren't necessarily without value in themselves, but I wouldn't recommend relying on them to protect yourself, especially if you're a woman with health or coordination issues.  A few weeks of martial arts or self defense classes simply won't enable you to fend off a serious attacker stronger than yourself in real life situation.

The various forms of Jiu-Jitsu (including BJJ) are actually some of the only martial arts in which someone can realistically subdue a significantly larger and stronger attacker.  But it takes years of serious training to reach that level of expertise.

Possible legal trouble for your as a woman using "excessive force" in self defense against a sexual assault is likely the least of your worries.  A far more realistic scenario would be not hurting him bad enough, and only pissing him off, and getting yourself hurt worse.

​Then Aikido is the exception, while the actual usage of 先生 is the rule. Your argument is basically the same as saying that since Satanists call their leaders priests and priestesses, that the word priest is inherently linked with Satanism. You are getting it backwards. "Genuine Aikido" (which is frankly a pretty nebulous concept to begin with, as with all Eastern martial arts) is the outlier in this sense.

​I always spoke in reference to Akido since that is the discipline that was mentioned earlier. It may very well be that Akido is an exception compared to others but again I never intended to speak of martial art in general. 

Nihil Obstat

To be quite honest I do now think you really know what you are talking about with regards to aikido either. I mean no disrespect; I just do not think you particularly understand the reality of it.

To be quite honest I do now think you really know what you are talking about with regards to aikido either. I mean no disrespect; I just do not think you particularly understand the reality of it.

No disrespect taken at all my friend, anyone can look into Morihei Ueshiba's writings and interviews and discover the overwhelming amount of mysticism. I don't doubt that there are Westernized versions of Akido that remove the spiritual component but that is clearly not the intention of its founder, and this is what I  mean when I refer to "genuine Akido." We Westerners have an unfortunate tendency of thinking we can purify spiritual praxis of its spirituality, its been done to Hatha Yoga and apparently to Akido as well.