An Old School Catholic Message Board

Duggar scandal

Maggyie

Nihil Obstat

If you want your life to turn into a horrible train wreck and have your family fall apart in shambles in the next few years getting a reality tv show can put you on the fast track to that destination.

Can we think of any long-running reality tv families that turn out ok? No, that doesn't make for good television.

The Simmons family and the Osborne family? :hehe:

Maybe the key is that you have to be incredibly messed up to begin with.

IgnatiusofLoyola

If you want your life to turn into a horrible train wreck and have your family fall apart in shambles in the next few years getting a reality tv show can put you on the fast track to that destination.

Can we think of any long-running reality tv families that turn out ok? No, that doesn't make for good television.

​It's been a bad week for TLC and reality show families. Matt and Amy Roloff, of the TLC series "Little People, Big World" have announced they are divorcing after 27 years of marriage. Their show has been on TLC for nine years. The couple didn't say that the reality series contributed to their marriage break-up, but if a couple is having problems, it must be more difficult to deal with the problems when there are cameras following you around. I'm always very sad to hear of ANY couple breaking up after being married so long. :(

PhuturePriest

The Simmons family and the Osborne family? :hehe:

Maybe the key is that you have to be incredibly messed up to begin with.

​Indeed. Not only are the Simmons' fine, but Gene and Shannon actually got married by the end of it, so the family ended up healthier than they were at the beginning. 

• 2 months later...

Not looking so good for Josh and his family now.    I'm incredulous at the magnitude of his selfishness and the destruction he is wreaking on his family and purported ideals and principles.  

Like many others, I'm relieved my own failures do not approach the same level of hypocrisy and harm.   Whew.  

IgnatiusofLoyola

Actually, I'm not surprised at all. The Duggar family seemed to believe that whatever steps had been taken after Josh molested his sisters were sufficient and that Josh was "cured." It's normally not that simple and easy, and I thought the Duggars were probably kidding themselves. Unfortunately, I was right. I also suspect that harm Josh did to his victims has been "whitewashed" and I hope that the victims have been getting help.

As for feeling relieved that my own failures do not approach the same level of hypocrisy and harm as Josh's acts, I don't feel that way. I have learned that whenever I've felt smug about something, and "so glad I haven't done X," God has, in turn, reminded me that I have no reason to be smug because I am no better than anyone else. Several times I have lost the exact thing I felt smug about.

Also, people are very complex. As a history major I learned that some of the greatest people who have accomplished a lot for humanity have turned out to have another side to them, a side that fell into sin. Heck, King David was an adulterer, just to give one example. 

BTW--I am not exonerating Josh for anything he did (or saying that Josh has accomplished anything close to that of some of the great people who have also been adulterers or had other sins), only saying that I'm not surprised. I've been alive long enough not to be surprised by very much anymore.

I think anomaly was being sarcastic ;)

But yeah it smells of elderberries when you try to be a beacon of morality and fail so hard at it and in front of everyone.

IgnatiusofLoyola

I think anomaly was being sarcastic ;)

Duh. I should have realized that, because the comment didn't sound like something @Anomaly would normally say. Sorry--I should have considered the author of the comment more carefully when I made my post.

The comment hit me the wrong way because, unfortunately, it is exactly the sort of thing that I expect some people are thinking. :( 

Basilisa Marie

It's been a bad week for TLC and reality show families. Matt and Amy Roloff, of the TLC series "Little People, Big World" have announced they are divorcing after 27 years of marriage. Their show has been on TLC for nine years. The couple didn't say that the reality series contributed to their marriage break-up, but if a couple is having problems, it must be more difficult to deal with the problems when there are cameras following you around. I'm always very sad to hear of ANY couple breaking up after being married so long. :(

I used to occasionally watch Jon and Kate Plus Eight, and over seasons you could see their marriage deteriorating. It was pretty sad. 

I had never even heard of these folks until the Ashley Madison thing was in the news a week ago.

One of the benefits of not watching much boob tube I suppose.

I read this morning that only 3 zip codes in the U.S.  didn't have any Ashley clients. Two were remote Inuit villages in Alaska and one a remote place in New Mexico that didn't have internet access. 

What's sad about his Ashely episode is that his wife Anna blames herself for his actions.  No one makes you do anything (such as that), you decide to do it yourself.  

"What's that smell in this room? Didn't you notice it, Brick? Didn't you notice a powerful and obnoxious odor of mendacity in this room?... There ain't nothin' more powerful than the odor of mendacity... You can smell it. It smells like death." - Big Daddy from Tennessee Williams' "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof," a playworth rereading.

Edited by Era Might

PhuturePriest

Yeah. There's not much that is defensible in this situation. It is clear that Josh has some very deep issues that need to be dealt with by a professional, which is why it's good that he has reportedly entered into a six month rehab program. 

Whether he is sincerely going in and wants to quit, we don't know, of course. But there is action being done and we should pray for him and his family, and that his wife makes the right decision concerning the direction of the marriage. I certainly don't envy her in this situation. It's very easy to simply say "The right decision is to ditch the pig!", but that's a very big and final decision, one which I do not think can be decided in such a black and white manner. 

Were it me, I think I would probably leave -- but that's the thing: If that were me, I think I would probably leave. I have no clue what I would actually do, because I'm not her.