An Old School Catholic Message Board

Duggar scandal

Maggyie

I'm not the person you asked this of, but yes, I am against those groups adopting. An adopted child, being for whatever reason deprived of his right to be brought up by his biological parents, should not be deprived of the rest (e.g. a mother and father, etc).

​Im personally not really convinced of the whole traditional family set up having that much of an impact on the child's psyche. Relationships and how we define them is ever evolving and changing. What we thought of as the ideal childhood situation a century ago or a millennial ago may not be the same now. I havent done a ton of research into the topic, but I am more of the mind that a healthy environment with supportive, loving adults (Regardless of the occupants gender, sexual identity, marital status) is the best thing for a child. I mean, we used to think that biracial marriages were the terrible too. Turns out a child can be raised by two people from different ethnic backgrounds and still be normal.

I would disagree that we're all trying our best...

Trying your best is a lot tougher the it sounds.

​Your nest effort cannot be compared to someone elses best effort. People who suffer from physical or mental disabilities may appear to be lazy or not trying to someone who doesnt understand their pain, but you better believe they are trying. 

Do not judge those you do not know.

If the Duggar family was trying their best they wouldn't of handled this situation like they did. They wouldn't be on reality tv when they had some huge skeletons in the closet. If they were trying their best they would of got proper treatment for those involved. Again trying your best is not as easy as it sounds.

Edited by Guest

If the Duggar family was trying their best they wouldn't of handled this situation like they did. They wouldn't be on reality tv when they had some huge skeletons in the closet. If they were trying their best they would of got proper treatment for those involved. Again trying your best is not as easy as it sounds 

​They probably DID think they approached it correctly.

​Your nest effort cannot be compared to someone elses best effort. People who suffer from physical or mental disabilities may appear to be lazy or not trying to someone who doesnt understand their pain, but you better believe they are trying. 

Do not judge those you do not know.

Who was I judging to begin with? The Bible thumping kid who is involved in adultery and divorse and is always bashing gays on my news feed?

Edited by Guest

puellapaschalis

The abuse took place before the first tv special, iirc, when they had 14 children in a small house with two bathrooms. I don't know Jim Bob had begun his real estate business at this point, but it's possible they were struggling and saw providence in the tv offer. And fame and money can be alluring and deceptive.

I am sad for the Duggars on multiple levels, no one had the right to call them out on this issue. All this did to this family was have them relive the pain and suffering they already went through.

An to act like that this part of their lives is so damning, i would really love to point to a ton of other shows on tv to these executives that show so much worse just as fiction. For TLC to act like their programming is so friggin pristine is nonsense on their part. An for them to act like they have these amesome values and now some how they are tainted is bs as well.

I wasn't a major fan of the show but i thought it was  good  that America had something positive to watch which was faith based. I did feel as if okay why are they so squeeky clean, where is the mud and dirt, and then i just kind of accepted the family for who they were and stopped waiting for the bottom to fall out.

I would rather want to know who leaked the information and what were the motives behind doing so.

I would probably want to watch the show now more than before if anything, I do hope the Duggars file some kind of law suit, i don't know under what grounds they could, but in America one can sue for any reason, so why not.

Personally, using their family size as a marketing ploy for a reality TV show does not show good parenting in my eyes. They essentially turned their family life into a spectacle like animals in a zoo for people the gawk at. The innocent children will be ridiculed for the perception of their family through no fault of their own. I have NEVER supported the exploitation of your family for monetary gain. 

I think the show should have been canceled a long time ago simply for the sake of preserving the children from the eyes of the masses. There are so many women in Hollywood who have fought for protections against paparazzi filming or taking photos of their children.

I don't watch TV and never seen it. I agree with what Era said though. Don't go out  reality TV when you got stuff like this to hide. It's all fair game. Pretending it's not is a joke. I cannot stand the squeaky clean Christian image some people try to display. It's fake. It disgust me. I'm thankful to have met a lot of Catholics who are working out their Salvation in fear and trembling and not pretending they are perfect and without flaws. I didn't watch the show so I don't know how squeaky clean this family tried to show themselves to be but any amount is enough to make me never want to watch the show. With all that said prayers for their family and all who are involved.

Nihil Obstat

​In my list I had:

1. Homosexual couples
  2. Single parents
  3. Unmarried heterosexual couples
  4. Non- Catholic couples 

This of course assumes the general rules already in place that cover mental illness, abuse, etc etc.

Yeah, I think a just society could legitimately exclude or discourage these couples from adopting. Again, in a general sense. Emergency situations might require other arrangements. 

Yeah, I think a just society could legitimately exclude or discourage these couples from adopting. Again, in a general sense. Emergency situations might require other arrangements. 

​What would be an emergency situation? Would it be better to keep a child cycling through a foster system on the much elongated waiting list if these groups of people are excluded? Or is it better to place them with a family even if it is not a 1950s leave it to beaver traditional family?