An Old School Catholic Message Board

Confidential meeting seeks to sway-synod to accept same-sex unions

Lilllabettt

It would he vanity to think we are special in any way. Not to think that we as a worldwide society are experiencing a particularly ungodly age. As I said, Scripture (and indeed also the saints) clearly attest to such particularly wicked ages and nations. 

​For the most part, I do agree.

'particularly wicked' ages however, is a matter of opinion and altogether relative.  How do you measure wickedness?  Is there such a thing as a wickometer?  Is is metric or imperial?

​'particularly wicked' ages however, is a matter of opinion and altogether relative. 

​Precisely. And I'm sure every generation has looked around and said "yep, this is probably the most wicked age since ever." God will probably come back when most people think things are amesome. I think He is a fan of irony.

Benedictus

If a person or church gets stuck in end times rhetoric they end up like Jehovah's Witnesses. The end is nigh...its around this next corner, or .... sorry, maybe the next one...it's real close...

My hope in humanity dies a bit when I realise the numbers of people, by choice or not, still stuck in such religious cults. :(

We should each be ready to die at any time because any of us literally could.

Nihil Obstat

​For the most part, I do agree.

'particularly wicked' ages however, is a matter of opinion and altogether relative.  How do you measure wickedness?  Is there such a thing as a wickometer?  Is is metric or imperial?

​Well, we can measure it in terms of Catholic morality. I think it is much simpler than you are making it, to be honest. The fact is that if we compare our modern western society to the Church's traditions of faith and morals, we find that our society is lacking in essentially every meaningful way.

But clearly such a meter would be metric, because imperial is impious and chaotic. Our God is a God of order, who gave us reason to make sense of the world. The imperial system is a clear rejection of our rational abilities and therefore a blatant perversion of natural law.

truthfinder

​Well, we can measure it in terms of Catholic morality. I think it is much simpler than you are making it, to be honest. The fact is that if we compare our modern western society to the Church's traditions of faith and morals, we find that our society is lacking in essentially every meaningful way.

But clearly such a meter would be metric, because imperial is impious and chaotic. Our God is a God of order, who gave us reason to make sense of the world. The imperial system is a clear rejection of our rational abilities and therefore a blatant perversion of natural law.

​So God is Canadian? or at least not American?

​So God is Canadian? or at least not American?

​well...   obviously!

And He plays hockey too - long my the Rocket haunt us all!

Edited by Didacus
typo

Norseman82

​Not so fast - I haven't heard any sacramental formulas ending in "eh", so...

Edited by Norseman82

KnightofChrist

​God doesn't play dice with numbers.  1, 15 or 20 million is inconsequential; why cries to Heaven is heard by Heaven.

The scale has changed, the severity has not.  For all intent and purpose, still nothing new under the sun.

Even internet, technology and all that 'good modern' stuff is no game changer to God, sin and the likes.  At most, these things are simply catalysts, but overall, everything remains the same.  The story is repeating itself.  Generations have the same choices as before, with the same opportunity to salvation as ever before - as John-Paul the Great once expressed.  Human history and experience is not so much a linear trajectory but more so a generational struggle ever unbroken (I.E. there is no real destination for humanity and its history, but more an on-going journey both communal and personal).  John-Paul the Great's vision of the world as such remains to this day revolutionary and far ahead of its time.

Let us not give in to scandal, but remain firm in our faith.  The end belongs to the Lord, and no one else.

We know as Catholic there are some sins that are graver than others and committing a grave sin repeatedly is also greater. It's really hard for me not to believe that our generation is far more wicked that other times. God does not play dice, but it is hard so hard not to see how the cry of 42 million babies a year is not greater than any other cry ever. The yearly death rate is 52 million which includes all other deaths. I'm after trouble try to figure out if that 52 million includes the 42 million or if abortions are almost half the number of all other deaths. I challenge anyone to find another generation or time in history that killed 1.3 billion children in just 35 years. It's the greatest amount of child sacrifice of all time.

Now don't get me wrong, we should not have a chicken little the sky is fallen response to the end of the age. All we need to worry about is being in the state grace and to do our duty in our state in life. However, our generation seems to be fighting very hard to be the most wicked and vile of all.

http://www.numberofabortions.com/

http://www.medindia.net/patients/calculators/world-death-clock.asp