An Old School Catholic Message Board

convent cake thread

vee

sr.christinaosf

We made one raspberry swirl already to test it out.  Now, it is cooling.  It is pretty.  I also made the shells ahead of time so that's one less thing to deal with Friday when we make the rest of the cakes.  I'm thinking, for the chocolate/peanut butter one, of doing a layer of peanut butter with the cream cheese and a layer of Hershey's powder with it.  I wonder how the consistency will work out with the peanut butter, though.  

sr.christinaosf

The raspberry trial passed the taste test with flying colors!  We'll definitely use that recipe for the other two raspberry cakes.  I'm still trying to figure out the peanut butter chocolate one.  I am thinking of mixing peanut butter with some of the cream cheese/sugar/egg mixture and mixing Hershey's powder with the rest of the mixture and doing layers that way, then topping it off with the chocolate/peanut butter chips.  I am not sure how much peanut butter and how much Hershey's powder to use, so if anyone would offer suggestions, that would be great!

The raspberry trial passed the taste test with flying colors!  We'll definitely use that recipe for the other two raspberry cakes.  I'm still trying to figure out the peanut butter chocolate one.  I am thinking of mixing peanut butter with some of the cream cheese/sugar/egg mixture and mixing Hershey's powder with the rest of the mixture and doing layers that way, then topping it off with the chocolate/peanut butter chips.  I am not sure how much peanut butter and how much Hershey's powder to use, so if anyone would offer suggestions, that would be great!

If it's a standard 9-inch cake tin, I wouldn't use more than a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter. It won't seem like much but it's a very 'pervasive' flavour even when mild, and you want it to still be nice and cheesecakey along with the contrasting flavour of the chocolate, and not like someone's throwing bags of peanuts at you :hehe:

I can't speak to the Hershey's powder though, as I've never tasted the stuff. I had one of their chocolate bars once, and once was enough...

sr.christinaosf

Well...we served the cheesecakes today and people enjoyed them...I'm glad that's over with, though...too much 'ruminating' about portions and ingredient choices.  

Well...we served the cheesecakes today and people enjoyed them...I'm glad that's over with, though...too much 'ruminating' about portions and ingredient choices.  

What did you end up serving with them?

sr.christinaosf

They were offered a dollop of vanilla ice cream we had on hand.  We ended up with one of the chocolate peanut butter ones left over as well as a couple pieces of raspberry.  

Edited by sr.christinaosf

AveMariaPurissima

Yes, this is Sr. Martin of the Mt. Thabor Dominicans. :) She is holy, wise, sweet, and has a great sense of humor -- I just love her to pieces! :heart: God willing she will be turning 97 next month!!

Sr. Martin celebrated her 97th birthday last week: :):heart:

11228107_1128505427166205_56362377380070

Here's the monastery's Facebook page: Dominican Nuns Mt Thabor.  Go over and give them some new "likes"! :nun:  

TheresaThoma

11041254_841858505902636_918776771055386

Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. This was after three Sisters professed first vows and 5 of them renewed their vows. The cakes look lovely!

• 3 weeks later...
sr.christinaosf

Okay...I'm looking for any suggestions. We have some leftover ice cream and we're having "birthday bingo" on Fruday, where we celebrate all those with birthdays this month.  On that occasion, we usually serve cake to our residents, but I'm thinking of making a couple of ice cream cakes to serve 35+ people.  

Any ideas for an easy, simple ice cream cake?  I'm thinking of doing a brownie bottom, soften ice cream for on top, and then re-freeze and add chocolate and peanut butter or or caramel sauce on top.  I might through on the peanut butter and chocolate chips I got when making the cheese cakes earlier this summer.  I have a bag left over in the freezer. 

Any thoughts or ideas???

TheresaThoma

You could always make a version of baked Alaska.AKA bake a cake, put slightly softened icecream on on the cooled cake, freeze the whole thing. Then make a meringue top the icream with the meringue and use an open flame (blow torch, broiler from a gas stove etc) to brown the meringue. Impressive somewhat easy and yummy. 

sr.christinaosf

Meringue scares me.  I ended up making a couple Peanut butter ones and a caramel fudge brownie (larger) one.