An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Catholics Get Tattooed?

julianneoflongbeach

MarysLittleFlower

Jewelry does change the appearance especially in excess. What if fashion,make up and jewlary can be used to love others? In the sense of making oneself more appealing and allowing a greater ease of comfort for another person to be around therefore opening up the gates to revealing the truth in our action and words. And totally not conforming to society, that would be a selfish act to fit in, this is a totally different concept of selflessness. Cloud nine helping you feel fine, coz i love you kind of thing.

Jewellery is vain if in excess. It should be tasteful and not excessive. But I meant typical jewellery doesn't change the actual features you have. As for making oneself more appealing to draw others to God... I think the makeup etc might draw people to you but would it help them convert? They would just consider you attractive. God can still give grace for a conversion but so much better to draw others to Him through a virtuous life,  a gentle demeanour, charity... I believe Christ wants us to radiate Him. Not draw attention just to us. Especially appearance alone. Its better to involve Him in the means to evangelisation too, not only the goal :) He can bring people to Himself through our example better if the example is based on Him rather than worldly values. Consider a Saint like St Gemma. People were drawn to her spiritual beauty, the purity in her gaze. She always wore the same simple unfashionable black dress.

He's probably not getting that job at Wal-Mart either.

Poor guy.. 

I think it does sort of change them.. People don't come with black lines around the eyes and eye shadow :) people look quite different with eye makeup particularly. You can tell its the same person but still different. 

If the wife didn't wear makeup would you tell her she should? I think many women would find that hurtful though - if they don't wear makeup at all or on a particular day and their husband suggests it?

No, I can't say that I would… might get me in all kinds of trouble. I don't think I would go there…lol. However, I would think it unlikely for her to never to wear makeup. Before I would marry someone, I would know whether or not she rejected makeup altogether. I don't think your position is the norm. 

It is far simpler than some people want to make it. Dress well, dress modestly. Do not be a slob, do not be vain, and think about other people. Everything to glorify Christ first, then to help each other.
Edit: And if one feels called to go above and beyond, by all means.

You're a man though. Things are a little* different in this area. There's so much pressure on how girls/and women should tend to their appearance and they're getting it from the world and the church.

*or a lot, usually

As for making oneself more appealing to draw others to God... I think the makeup etc might draw people to you but would it help them convert? They would just consider you attractive.

Beauty is a means of evangelization, a cause for conversion, and a reminder of the magnificence of God.

Nihil Obstat

You're a man though. Things are a little* different in this area. There's so much pressure on how girls/and women should tend to their appearance and they're getting it from the world and the church.

*or a lot, usually

Sure, things as they are. But most of us have - or should - reject how things are, and work on how they should be. :) Modesty is foreign to the modern west.

MarysLittleFlower

Beauty is a means of evangelization, a cause for conversion, and a reminder of the magnificence of God.

true beauty is a means... Beauty of a soul, of nature, of a person... Makeup is not God's creation and I think true beauty is more than our human fashions. If we saw Our Lady we would see the most beautiful woman God ever made and her beauty is not in form alone. And her form is from God not artificially done by makeup etc. I hope no one is hinting here that women should paint their faces to draw others to God more. Is His own work insufficient? And the work that leads souls most to Him is the work of grace in the soul of the person who is evangelizing. God can choose the most ordinary looking person and so infuse them with virtue that everyone would see God in them. They would be like a stain glass window with His light shining through. Why paint on the window? True beauty leads to Him not to the physical form alone.

No, I can't say that I would… might get me in all kinds of trouble. I don't think I would go there…lol. However, I would think it unlikely for her to never to wear makeup. Before I would marry someone, I would know whether or not she rejected makeup altogether. I don't think your position is the norm. 

Maybe its not but I'm not planning to marry.

I hope you would still marry someone who doesn't use makeup :) not saying you wouldn't but I'm having trouble understanding your post. 

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

Nihil Obstat

Actually I would argue that true beauty is inherently good, in and of itself, rather than merely instrumentally good.

Actually I would argue that true beauty is inherently good, in and of itself, rather than merely instrumentally good.

No doubt…  true beauty is indeed  inherently good and is therefore instrumentally good: beautiful architecture, liturgy, etc. draw people to God, as you so often and rightly point out.

Nihil Obstat

No doubt…  true beauty is indeed  inherently good and is therefore instrumentally good: beautiful architecture, liturgy, etc. draw people to God, as you so often and rightly point out.

Right, it is *also* instrumentally good. But primarily it is good in and of itself.

Sure, things as they are. But most of us have - or should - reject how things are, and work on how they should be. :) Modesty is foreign to the modern west.

I took more of an issue when you said "it's more simple than people are making it out to be." Not even really took issue, just disagreed with. I wish things were simple.

I'm curious MLF, why should we have organs in our churches? When our natural God-given voices suffice?  And stained-glass windows--- aren't they painted windows? Why paint them?

MarysLittleFlower

No problem with beauty being good :) as well as instrumentally good. It can be something God made or something people made that points to.Him directly or indirectly. But I think there are things that are visually appealing in a more vain way - usually things like fashions, not creation or things that lift the mind higher. I think the human person is beautiful enough without makeup. 

I'm curious MLF, why should we have organs in our churches? When our natural God-given voices suffice?  And stained-glass windows--- aren't they painted windows? Why paint them?

i think that's a different example. The organ doesn't change the voice as God made it. It accompanies. Stain glass windows are painted in a transparent way.. I was only using it as an analogy and saying makeup is like putting opaque paint on a window. I'm not against art and painting objects. 

veritasluxmea

I always wanted to get a small tattoo of the Sacred Heart on the inside of one wrist, and the Immaculate Heart on the inside of the other. It's crazy expensive at the places I was looking into- something like that would be 200-300 for just one tat. Not out of my savings! The best advice I ever got on a tattoo is- never get it in a place where you couldn't wear short shorts and a shoulderless belly tank and have it showing. So that cancels out the inside of a wrist. Plus, I don't think it would be appropriate for a consecrated religious to have a tattoo, and since I'm knowingly going down that path I won't get one.

It is far simpler than some people want to make it. Dress well, dress modestly. Do not be a slob, do not be vain, and think about other people. Everything to glorify Christ first, then to help each other.
Edit: And if one feels called to go above and beyond, by all means.

Basically. This is just one of those things where no matter if you 4 or 40 pages of discussion, you won't get anywhere. Tattoos and make up just aren't intrinsically evil. MLF made a decision on the issue that works for her. I think we should respect that and not try to convince her otherwise (NOT that anyone here is- just saying). However, MLF, there is absolutely nothing wrong with someone else considering considering modesty, Church wisdom, and standards for their lifestyle, and making a different conclusion for themselves, like wearing makeup- yes, even heavy makeup- or an appropriate tattoo. Get over it.