An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Catholics Get Tattooed?

julianneoflongbeach

Nihil Obstat

I took more of an issue when you said "it's more simple than people are making it out to be." Not even really took issue, just disagreed with. I wish things were simple.

Ok, well ignore 'society', ignore all the historical baggage. At its core I believe it really is a simple issue. People make it hard, both as individuals and as a culture, but IMO it need not be.

If you forget about all that baggage, is it still complicated?

Rebecca (Isaac's wife) in the Bible had a nose ring. I have a nose ring and six earrings, and a tattoo.

I got the rings because they're beautiful, and I don't wear any other kind of jewelry because I stand things hanging off of me and flapping around so close to my skin. I don't even feel the rings, and they're permanently in.

I got the tattoo because I was 17 and stupid.

If I had it to do over again, I'd get the same 7 rings and a different tattoo. ;) 

Edited by Gabriela

dominicansoul

I've not read this thread, just the original post. 

One of the associate pastors in my hometown parish is tattooed.  He's been seen comparing it to other Catholics who come up to him who have tattoos.  Growing up I thought tattoos were strictly prohibited by Catholics, but now I see how wrong I was...

MarysLittleFlower

Sorry for the monster thread lol.

I guess I just agree with the Saints who wrote on the topic. Clearly I'm in a minority but I don't think its a heresy to think so. I'll check with my SD. So moving on :) 

julianneoflongbeach

I guess I just agree with the Saints who wrote on the topic. Clearly I'm in a minority but I don't think its a heresy to think so. I'll check with my SD. So moving on :) 

What you think is just fine. I don't wear makeup either, but I've also just never really liked it. I've liked the idea of it, enough to buy lots of nice stuff, but I'd use it once then decide I hated how it felt and never use it again. lol I still keep some on hand for special occasions where it would be odd to not be a bit more done up. I don't think it's intrinsically wrong or unnatural. Nudists use just about the same arguments you've used after all...Saints are not infallible and have gone overboard on things or have just been wrong. But it's as different from being tattooed as it is from wearing jewelry or dying your hair. So how would you translate such misgivings to tattoos? Are tattoos or dying your hair or having piercings inherently vain? Is it regulated merely by intention or culture or is there a definite line beyond which you shouldn't go? And can the same be said for modesty in general? Oy, the thoughts. They are too many. :frantics:

MarysLittleFlower

Hmm I'm kind of confused because to me my argument makes sense but to no one else lol. Im afraid if I'm wrong. But its not like the nudist argument of "just being as you are". We take care of the body and we also need clothes for modesty. But my argument is basically that it just seems wrong to me to paint over how God made me *to look prettier*, it feels like I'm insulting Him in some way. Its like I'm one thing but look like another, like I'm lying. It feels just wrong.

So I don't know if I'm incorrect or not thinking makeup is objectively flawed in its purpose - even though intent regulates culpability. Clothes and jewellery adorn the body but they don't change it.. Also the primary purpose of clothes is not vanity and jewellery can be worn to please a spouse. I've read from St Thomas its wrong for someone to adorn themselves if they don't plan to marry though like a consecrated soul or seriously discerning. I mean adornment not just regular accessories for practicality.

Anyway with tattoos and piercings and dyeing hair I think its extremely easy to have a vain reason and difficult to have another one. I mean for most people tattoos are self expression which isn't a sufficiently high reason IMO. The other stuff like dyeing hair I just don't get why to do it. (With grey hair personally I'd just like to accept it as a cross, myself).

Anyway that's me with my typically extreme views. That's my personality: all or nothing. I know Saints can make mistakes but the fact that some said this it made me think maybe its not that extreme. I think grooming stuff is different - we're not animals and even animals groom.

I am not commenting on.the presence or absence of culpability in people who do these things and I tend to try and excuse people if I disagree with something myself. Even if its wrong sin needs the will, delight in it, some sort of knowledge etc..

But I just asked one day - what is the most perfect way I can imagine? And am I ever far from that ideal but I thought - what's the point of something if its not done for love of God? I still do much for self rather than His love alone. If I did that I'd be a saint perhaps and I'm not. But I can't make sense of another way to live, and for me I can't figure out how to dye my hair without a vain intent since its not necessary for neatness and presentability. It just seems pointless... 

However I don't believe modesty is regulated by culture because a Pope last century said modesty should be based on a virtuous society not one where such values are scorned. -- very loose paraphrase. I think.people today are desensitized to immodesty so things look OK that aren't OK. Yup another extreme probably unpopular view from MLF haha... :P  but seriously if a society is desensitised that doesn't excuse its errors. (Individual people vary in knowledge and ignorance though and so in culpability). I just can't reason my way out of it so that's what I believe. 

At best, some stuff is just pointless and not for God. At worst, it could be wrong. I can leave that part up to God though some stuff seems wrong to me. But even if its just pointless: then its still a waste of time. We were put here to become saints. :) 

MarysLittleFlower

I don't at all think you asked the question in this way but sometimes people ask questions about these topics that may sound like "what is the most I can get away with without committing a sin". But we can ask - what is the most perfect thing to do. Its a lifelong journey to live like that. I am not there yet and we must be patient with ourselves and others. But I think the best thing to do is ONLY seek God's Will and His satisfaction. And simply eliminate all else bit by bit. We can debate for ten years about whether its a sin and lose ten years. Is it something for God? Is a better question, with no worries, no scruples and no atrachment. If the answer is "no" then no need to even consider it further :) I think the Saints applied it to everything. Most of my day is still for me so I'm not there yet. But I think its all about the details. We give God each detail and then they add up! So I know for me, dyeing hair and wearing makeup would just be a diversion and a temptation to worry about my looks, so best to not bother. :) 

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

franciscanheart

If ever I were to get a tattoo, I would do exactly this, or with a St. Benedict medal.

The eastern Christians you are thinking of are the Copts. :)
coptic-cross2.png

Those people need to find a better tattoo artist.

Personally, if I had a wife, I would want her to wear make up and I would understand it as an act of love for God. For her sake, I would be offended if someone told her that they take the Saints more seriously, and that they implied that makeup can never be applied for love of God but at best is an imperfection. Again,  as it has been said already, what is good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander, etc.

I hope you would also wear makeup since you think she should...

I have six tattoos and a nose piercing. Am I less Catholic? [shrug] I know plenty of religious with tattoos...

Sister Marie

Everyone else doesn't disagree with the saints just because they disagree with you.  It's just that everyone else here knows that the saints lived in different times... We can't be Saint Thomas, Saint Therese, Saint Bernadette, etc... Because we aren't them... You can only be Saint MLF one day and you do that by being who God created you to be not by imitating others.  I'm trying to be Saint Marie one day but I'm not going to be able to do it by imitating someone who lived without electricity, mirrors, or basic health care and hygiene products.  The lives of the saints should inspire us, show us their particular way of being holy, and bring wisdom but they aren't supposed to be literal instruction manuals.  You apply what is helpful... And what's helpful isn't going to be the same for MLF as it is for every individual.  Now the Gospel is what we should be worried about living!  As far as I know Jesus seemed to care far more about other things.

I'm sure Saint Therese never wore hairspray but I do because I'm a professional, not Einstein, and I need to look like one.  

I was thinking... What about braces?  Are they allowed?  They change appearance and make people more attractive.  I do know a lot of religious who have tattoos too.  The only trouble they can be is if they are visible and the religious works in some professional field.  

Everyone else doesn't disagree with the saints just because they disagree with you.  It's just that everyone else here knows that the saints lived in different times... We can't be Saint Thomas, Saint Therese, Saint Bernadette, etc... Because we aren't them... You can only be Saint MLF one day and you do that by being who God created you to be not by imitating others.  I'm trying to be Saint Marie one day but I'm not going to be able to do it by imitating someone who lived without electricity, mirrors, or basic health care and hygiene products.  The lives of the saints should inspire us, show us their particular way of being holy, and bring wisdom but they aren't supposed to be literal instruction manuals.  You apply what is helpful... And what's helpful isn't going to be the same for MLF as it is for every individual.  Now the Gospel is what we should be worried about living!  As far as I know Jesus seemed to care far more about other things.

I'm sure Saint Therese never wore hairspray but I do because I'm a professional, not Einstein, and I need to look like one.  

I was thinking... What about braces?  Are they allowed?  They change appearance and make people more attractive.  I do know a lot of religious who have tattoos too.  The only trouble they can be is if they are visible and the religious works in some professional field.  

A million props. Great post.