An Old School Catholic Message Board

Application Process

katherineH

PROCESS OF DISCERNMENT

DISCERNMENT STEPS:

Once in contact with our vocation director, the next step would be a series of visits to our community in order to experience the life. The length of these visits would vary depending upon the circumstances of each individual, but normally the first visit would be from one to three days.

After these initial visits there is a one to two week discernment visit depending upon your availability and schedule. This longer stay is so that you can have a fuller experience of the daily life and charism of the community. If there is an interest to apply, this would be discussed with the vocation director after or during this visit.

The next step is the application process. In addition to filling out the application, this process includes a two to three week stay with the Community, during which time you would meet with certain members of the Order, and also take psychological tests. As part of the application we require two letters of recommendation (one from your parish priest, the other from a spiritual director). A physical examination will also be required prior to entrance. 

If accepted, you would be invited to come back for a 3-month visit called candidacy. This is a time of living with the Community as a final stage of discernment before being accepted as a member.

PRACTICAL REQUIREMENTS:
  • Those desiring to be members must be debt-free.
  • The age requirement for membership is between 18 to 40 years of age.
  • One must be single, never married and without children.
  • Physically and psychologically healthy

Click here for: Meditation for Discerning Your Vocation

from HeartsofJesusandMary.com

IgnatiusofLoyola

PROCESS OF DISCERNMENT

DISCERNMENT STEPS:

Once in contact with our vocation director, the next step would be a series of visits to our community in order to experience the life. The length of these visits would vary depending upon the circumstances of each individual, but normally the first visit would be from one to three days.

After these initial visits there is a one to two week discernment visit depending upon your availability and schedule. This longer stay is so that you can have a fuller experience of the daily life and charism of the community. If there is an interest to apply, this would be discussed with the vocation director after or during this visit.

The next step is the application process. In addition to filling out the application, this process includes a two to three week stay with the Community, during which time you would meet with certain members of the Order, and also take psychological tests. As part of the application we require two letters of recommendation (one from your parish priest, the other from a spiritual director). A physical examination will also be required prior to entrance. 

If accepted, you would be invited to come back for a 3-month visit called candidacy. This is a time of living with the Community as a final stage of discernment before being accepted as a member.

PRACTICAL REQUIREMENTS:
  • Those desiring to be members must be debt-free.
  • The age requirement for membership is between 18 to 40 years of age.
  • One must be single, never married and without children.
  • Physically and psychologically healthy

Click here for: Meditation for Discerning Your Vocation

from HeartsofJesusandMary.com

I found the requirement to be "never married" to be interesting. What about young widow(er)s or those with annulled marriages? 

However, from what I've read of the experience of others on Phatmass (although not with this specific Community) sometimes exceptions are made to the requirements in special circumstances, so, depending on the Community, the written requirements on the Community Web site may not be "black and white."

I found the requirement to be "never married" to be interesting. What about young widow(er)s or those with annulled marriages? 

However, from what I've read of the experience of others on Phatmass (although not with this specific Community) sometimes exceptions are made to the requirements in special circumstances, so, depending on the Community, the written requirements on the Community Web site may not be "black and white."

This really depends on the community - some have decided to have never-married as part of the communities.  Some are fine with married and widowed/annulled but no children (because they feel that the woman's vocation is to always be a mother and it cannot be fulfilled in their community). 

agreed - I think it depends on the community.  I know a young widowed woman just joined the Franciscans TOR in Steubenville.  Sr. Prudence of the RSM-Alma was actually married and has a child. 

There used to be an organization called "Sister Moms"--women who are mothers (generally widowed) and also religious. I don't know if it still exists, but I know that Sister Hildegard Pleva, a Redemptoristine who blogs at "Contemplative Horizons" (http://monasticmusingsossr.blogspot.com/) is also a mother and grandmother.

Here is an article from 1998 (National Catholic Register) on the Sister Moms:

http://www.ncregister.com/site/article/sister_moms_balance_motherhood_and_religious_life/

TheresaThoma

Our diocese actually just ordained a priest who is a father and now grandfather! (His wife died of cancer). It does happen occasionally but I think there has to be a great deal of discernment on both sides.