An Old School Catholic Message Board

God Be with France

Gabriela

This is 9/11 all over again....:(

I'd say it's more like the Boston Marathon bombing. But I'm not sure that refining our analogies reduces the tragedy to any degree.

PhuturePriest

Official war must be declared on ISIS. No more of these tepid half-steps.  I also think that unfortunately new laws need to be set in place for the mass immigration of Europe. That may not be a popular thought, but I honestly have no clue how else the world can deal with these issues. I'm certainly open to hearing alternative ideas.

Edited by PhuturePriest

Official war must be declared on ISIS. No more of these tepid half-steps.  I also think that unfortunately new laws need to be set in place for the mass immigration of Europe. That may not be a popular thought, but I honestly have no clue how else the world can deal with these issues. I'm certainly open to hearing alternative ideas.

I don`t think a war is necessary at this point.  They just need to stop this right now.  But the question is how.

Declaring war is no guarantee of a solution, immediate or long-term, and can just as well cause worse problems. Cracking down on immigration is also no panacea. Now is a good time to look back at the 19th century and not repeat the geopolitics that led to WWI and WWII.

Just for some perspective, 20,000 people were killed in the Paris Commune in 1871, when Paris declared its independence in the midst of the Franco-Prussian War. It started out as a defense against Germany, then turned into the French government slaughtering its own people. The 19th century has a lot to teach about the dangerous roads Reaction can take (we don't even have to look that far, we are living with the realities of a post-Iraq War world).

Edited by Era Might

From this afternoon's Office, Romans 15:5–7:

May God, the source of all patience and encouragement, enable you to live in perfect harmony with one another according to the spirit of Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and voice you may glorify God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Accept one another, then, as Christ accepted you, for the glory of God.

Spem in alium

One of the prayers of intercession for our Vigils for Sunday was for people who had lost their lives as a result of warfare or violence.

We are praying for all the people of Paris, and for those who lost their lives in these atrocities. I also am thinking quite closely of my acquaintances and research contacts in Montreal. Many of them were actually French-born or had come to work in Canada for a short time before returning to France. Someone I knew actually lived in Paris and would likely be there now, though I don't have any means of locating her, really. I believe they need prayer also. 

Reuters is reporting that the area around the Eiffel Tower has been evacuated, with heavy police activity around the Pullman hotel, in the seventh arrondissement. The Guardian has not yet been able to confirm this.

It's official : three teams of terrorist carried out the attacks. Two teams died, and one run away. People have been arrested at the Belgium fronter. A french man have been identified among the terrorist. 

False alert for the police activity at the Pullman (in the 15th). No shooting.

129 death, including US and UK citizens, 350 wounded, including 99 very important. 

People are putting little candles at their window. It's simple and touching. 

I am very worried for some people that I know who are arab and muslim and policeman. They are a man target for ISIS. Islamist hate muslims who are in the french army and police because they are traitors. I hope everything will be ok for them. 

This is a very clear, very intelligent, very objective, and well-written, presentation of the situation in France "banlieue". It was written before the attacks, but if you want to understand how immigration works here, why the Algeria war is still a burden, Islam, and many things, read it, it's very god. http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/08/31/the-other-france 

Screen Shot 2015-11-14 at 05.27.56 PM.png

Trafalgar Square, London:

4096.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10

Moorish Castle, Gibraltar:

CTzY5CHWUAAUSC_.jpg

General Consulate, Barcelona:

4300.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10

Opera House, Sydney. Brandenburg Gate, Berlin. Oriental Pearl Tower, Shanghai. Municipal Palace, Puebla.

4096.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10

Washington Square Park, Manhattan:

3500.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10

French Embassy, Athens:

5597.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10

An infographic comparing the casualties (red) and injuries (green) of attacks on France since 1978:

CTylb7WW4AA-1oZ.png

Tomorrow's cover of the Liberation:

CTzBVrEWwAA0_hh.jpg