An Old School Catholic Message Board

Republican Debates

Basilisa Marie

48 minutes ago, PhuturePriest said:

In almost every poll, Rubio is the only Republican candidate who beats Hillary and Bernie in national polls. Trump loses almost unanimously in all of them.

If you want to get a Republican in the oval office, vote Rubio. If you want to solidify the permanent destruction of the Republican party, vote Trump.

I hope your right, sadly voting so far  doesn't reflect your optimism.  

And as far as the Republican Party goes, it is already in the toilet

Trump would be an improvement 

Edited by little2add

PhuturePriest
1 minute ago, little2add said:

I hope your right, sadly voting so far  doesn't reflect your optimism.  

I'm not being optimistic. That Trump is winning in the Republican primary doesn't matter. Nationally he loses to both Bernie and Hillary by a significant amount. Clearly the Party is out of step with the nation.

8 minutes ago, PhuturePriest said:

I'm not being optimistic. That Trump is winning in the Republican primary doesn't matter. Nationally he loses to both Bernie and Hillary by a significant amount. Clearly the Party is out of step with the nation.

If you had the choice between trump or Hillary who would you chose 

PhuturePriest
Just now, little2add said:

If you had the choice between trump or Hillary who would you chose 

Neither. I am not morally obligated to vote for either of them. In policy, both are pretty much indistinguishable, especially where morals are concerned. In leadership, I think Hillary would be better. But that doesn't mean I'm voting for her.

If it comes down to Trump as the nominee, I'll look for a third party option, or perhaps a simple write-in. Will my candidate win? Probably not. But he will not support moral evils and show disregard towards moral matters. We're supposed to vote with our conscience, not a party.

PhuturePriest
28 minutes ago, little2add said:

Between the two I would go with trump.

Don't hate me

I don't hate you. It seems you follow a narrative which says we must always vote for one party, no matter how bad the candidate is, for the sake of keeping out the other party. I disagree with the narrative and think that idea is what causes us to have such poor quality in candidates, but I don't hate anyone or think badly of anyone who holds this. It's a very established narrative and is definitely the mainstream opinion on both sides of the aisle.

Republicans and the Democrats are one in the same 

trump may be or may not be beholding the  puppet master  pulling the strings,   Hard to forsee the Darkside is.  

I have no faith in Clinton or Bush or Obama. Or the republicandemocrats party

Edited by little2add

I don't think Trump has the votes to compete against Hillary. From my take on it Trump's support appears to come from mostly from "poorly educated" (his words) white voters. There simply aren't enough of those people to beat Hillary if 60% of the GOP hate him with a passion and many of them stay home on election day in November. The bigots in the party also tend to flock to Trump (hence Trump's reluctance to reject the support of folks like David Duke), but there are not enough of these people either to defeat Hillary. His supporters are enough to win the nomination against a heavily fractured field - but if the race came down to Trump v. Rubio, Trump v. Cruz, or Trump v. Clinton, which it eventually will, he pretty much gets killed in all 3 races. That is just my humble opinion, of course.

I think the Trump situation somewhat exemplifies the problem that the GOP will have to deal with at some time or another. The party has to decide in which direction it will go. Let's keep it real - there is a not-insignificant minority of Republicans who are racist (not to say that the Dems don't have them as well). The problem is that the GOP can't win anything without the votes of these people. The party is kind of a hostage to the Southern Strategy. So the GOP kind of plays the same kind of dog-whistle politics that Trump plays. You suggest that Obama is a Muslim. You question whether he is a citizen. You talk about all Mexicans who come to the US being rapists and so forth. Although the GOP at large is not racist, they can't exactly come right out and reject the minority. They don't have the votes to win otherwise. But you also see a shift in the country's demographics, where you need to win a significant percentage of minority voters to remain viable. That will become more and more true as the country becomes more brown over the next few decades. So I think right now the GOP is kind of figuring out what direction it wants to go in. Does it want to try to go after more minority voters at the risk of losing the support of the more bigoted wing of the party in the short term? Does it want to try to implicitly court their votes, while getting killed come election time among all non-white ethnic groups and losing any future viability? Time will tell.

One of the candidate’s deceitfulness will catch up to them, eventually.  To the spoils goes the winner

Remember what Abraham Lincoln said: You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.

Edited by little2add

One of the workers Disney laid off and forced to train his foreign replacement endorsed Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump Friday, and bashed his rival Republican Sen. Marco Rubio

Rubio enabled and supported, what Disney did. He stole jobs from his constituents, and handed them to foreign workers.   

veritasluxmea

It kind of looks like it will come down to Trump and Hilary. 

There is a traditional, conservative Catholic adult I know who made an interesting case on facebook. He argued in that event, it would be better to vote for Hilary. It was something like this- Trump is ruining the prolife and pro-liberty aspect of the GOP. Being led by this guy would be the end of the GOP party. It would turn them into, well, what Trump is, a racist liberal.  If Hilary wins, it wouldn't damage the GOP as much. There would be a chance of recovery and promoting the values of the party later on. It's a good point, and one that makes me seriously consider voting for her in that case. She and Trump are basically the same policy and value-wise. 

Nihil Obstat
13 minutes ago, veritasluxmea said:

It kind of looks like it will come down to Trump and Hilary. 

There is a traditional, conservative Catholic adult I know who made an interesting case on facebook. He argued in that event, it would be better to vote for Hilary. It was something like this- Trump is ruining the prolife and pro-liberty aspect of the GOP. Being led by this guy would be the end of the GOP party. It would turn them into, well, what Trump is, a racist liberal.  If Hilary wins, it wouldn't damage the GOP as much. There would be a chance of recovery and promoting the values of the party later on. It's a good point, and one that makes me seriously consider voting for her in that case. She and Trump are basically the same policy and value-wise. 

I do not think that justifies voting for Clinton, but certainly you can refrain from voting for Trump on such grounds.

1 hour ago, little2add said:

One of the workers Disney laid off and forced to train his foreign replacement endorsed Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump Friday, and bashed his rival Republican Sen. Marco Rubio

Rubio enabled and supported, what Disney did. He stole jobs from his constituents, and handed them to foreign workers.

Let's say you go to Macy's and see the same exact shirt. One shirt was made in China and the other made in the USA. The shirt made in the US sells for $50 and the shirt made in China sells for $25. Are you going to pay $25 extra for a shirt just because it was made in the USA or are you going to buy the cheaper shirt and use the money you saved to buy your kids some schoolbooks or dinner?

Almost all of us buy the cheaper shirt.

So why should someone pay person A $50 dollars an hour when person B is willing to do the same job for $25 dollars an hour?

If you force the employer to pay $50 dollars when someone else could do the Job for $25 you are taking away money from the employer. The employer now has less money to buy his children books and to put food on his children's table.

If the employer has to pay $50 because he cannot find a cheaper employee, doesn't  that mean that the employee is stealing money from his employer?

No, of course not. But neither does increasing competition steal jobs from one person and give it to another. He lost his job because his skill set did not justify the salary that he was making. And that is what happens in a free market economy.

It seems that the main problem that people have is that "we" are forced to compete fairly against "them", which is a bit ironic because a majority of "us" are descended directly from immigrant groups who came here a few generations ago and provided the same cheap labor that we now complain about when "they" try to come here and do exactly the sam thing. So why exactly was it OK for our ancestors to immigrate here and take on jobs for lower wages, but it is now not OK for other groups to come here and attempt to do the same? It seems like a very animal-farmish type of mentality to me.

The difference is today there are labor laws against things like sweatshops, child labor and environmental regulations that add a tremendous cost to production.   Then there is workers compensation, pensions, health insurance and heavy tax burden imposed upon stateside employers 

100 years ago this was not the case.  

Did you know that there was no income tax 100 years ago, that begai

That began in 1913

Edited by little2add