An Old School Catholic Message Board

ds' convent advice thread

vee

On 1/3/2016, 1:29:40, Maximilianus said:

Oh, I see. The bars protect the visitors from the nuns trying to appropriate their bacon. Got it.

It's true - and it better be double grilles - I've been grabbed by a very happy nun once.

Maximilianus
38 minutes ago, truthfinder said:

It's true - and it better be double grilles - I've been grabbed by a very happy nun once.

This explains the quote attributed to Fray Monty Carmelo "you can judge the mood of a monastery by the intensity of the cloister grille. The nuns in Arabella were so happy they had to add a portcullis that was especially needed on feast days. The portcullis was also useful when those on the opposite side of the grille where eating bacon sandwiches.

Rough translation from the original Castillian 

1 hour ago, truthfinder said:

Were you holding a bacon sandwich? :P

dominicansoul
On January 4, 2016 1:55:55 AM, Yinepu Sanctimonialis said:

Dear Dominican Soul,

What can I do in the convent if my hobby is cosplaying/halloween costumes and drawing creepy creatures? 

Thank you for your time :)

That will come in handy for convent talent shows.  Keep your sisters entertained.  But don't be surprised if the Mother Superior calls an exorcists the next morning...

On January 4, 2016 12:38:39 PM, veritasluxmea said:

We should start a real convent advice thread in the VS 

I've discerned over 10 years, traveled from one community to the next, witnessed laxity and rigidity, entered TWICE... this is as real as it gets!

On January 4, 2016 8:45:06 PM, vee said:

Dear DS,

Years ago someone posted that in da convent one should always say yes and never say no because it is always a test.  Do you think that is the worst advice ever?

*sigh*   When one enters a convent, one doesn't entertain thoughts of silly games and what not.  Authentic religious life doesn't "trick" you with silly "tests."  When one enteres, one loses one's self-love to gain formation, which doesn't sacrifice personality at all, but instead turns you into the person God created you to be without you gettin in the way...

15 hours ago, Papist said:

DS,

What's the difference between normal ketchup and fancy ketchup?

Fancy makes your bum burn a little... 

1 hour ago, vee said:

Dear DS,

You have a lot of unanswered questions, how will people know things if you dont answer them?

Patience my young padowan, how the hey are you going to survive Carmel without it? 

1 hour ago, vee said:

Were you holding a bacon sandwich? :P

At Carmel? Heresy! (Although maybe she was desperate for some bacon after many years of fish).

As we await DS's response I shall give my suggestion.

challenge her to a chip eating duel. Looser has to take over the winner's duties for a week. A guaranteed win since at least eating a chip two ridges at a time at the same speed beats one ridge. 

dominicansoul

In the convent, you keep custody of the senses, so u shouldn't even realize ur sister eats her Ruffles like a bird.  Of course this does not apply if ur sister starts to choke and needs the heimlech... U will get the hang of paying attention to what matters and what doesn't...

IgnatiusofLoyola
14 hours ago, vee said:

Dear DS,

What do I do  if the sister Im stuck sitting beside in the refectory eats her ruffled chips one ridge at a time?

Perhaps the next time you are asked to help in the kitchen, you suggest that Sister Cook crumble up all the potato chips and put them on top of the tuna noodle casserole.

Alternatively, you could tell Sister Cook that Saint Somebody-or-Other had a personal revelation that ridged chips are of the devil, and that good Catholics should only eat potato chips without ridges. Ideally, Sister Cook, while being excellent at cooking, isn't quite as excellent in her church history and church law. Worth a try, anyway. :idontknow:

It really wasnt bothersome, I was just amused by her eating her chips like that.  Meanwhile she probably had to put up with a constant barrage of my stupidity and annoying actions.  I probably ate like a pig at a trough for one!

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2016‎ ‎12‎:‎00‎:‎37‎, Papist said:

At least you know something.  You know that you don't know.   Something BHO can't say.

"When I left him, I reasoned thus with myself: I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do. In this trifling particular, then, I appear to be wiser than he, because I do not fancy I know what I do not know." -- Socrates Apology.

But Socrates done messed up real good.

Edited by BigJon16