An Old School Catholic Message Board

So sick of hearing about these priest molesting kids

Romans 10:9

If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, YOU WILL BE SAVED.

BarbTherese

About the link, Josh.  Some have missed over the years that it is nine pages long..........and I usually warn (and should do so I think) that it is very graphic indeed with some diagrams and not for the 'weak of heart'.

PhuturePriest
2 minutes ago, Josh said:

Romans 10:9

If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, YOU WILL BE SAVED.

A text without a context is a pretext. You can't pick and choose verses.

We all hope protestants are saved. But protestants lack the Sacraments which do in fact bring us closer to God and give us a lot better chance at getting to heaven. That's why we have them in the first place. The Sacraments are God bending over backwards to get us into heaven. Rejecting any of them as protestants do is dangerous business, which is why we should pray for our protestant brothers and sisters.

BarbTherese

...........and sincerely hope they will pray for us too................

Must admit, FP, that I cannot agree with all your concepts and perspectives in your most recent post.  Rather than The Mass and Sacraments, for example, being God bending over backwards to get us into Heaven - I regard them as God's Loving Longing for us to have a loving relationship with Him in Intimacy.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

First off I don't bring it up all the time by starting threads. I've commented on it in other threads already started. Second I brought it up now because that article just came out. A Catholic friend shared it and asked for Prayers because it's happening where he lives. This site is about Catholic stuff. If I'm gonna practice my faith then these issues need to be addressed when it's in the CURRENT EVENTS. You act like I'm talking about **** from 10 years ago. No I'm talking about stuff from yesterday. Stuff that is crippling people's faith in the Church. I pay no attention to Voris but he honestly has my respect for addressing this stuff.

BarbTherese

Could you link, please Josh, to the article to which you refer i.e. "because that article just came out".

BarbTherese
1 hour ago, Josh said:

It's on the front page of open mic.

Thanks Josh - I try to access Phatmass daily for at least a read ,.........but now and then I miss and fall behind! :) 

11 hours ago, Anomaly said:

As were many people tired of hearing about it.   When I was a practicing Catholic, (within the last ten years) teaching Confirmation classes and a key adult mentor in the youth group, I helped diminish and squash the info of a priest grooming a kid.   Before that, as a member of the school board, I was involved and have first hand knowledge of another cover up of a student on student molestation in a Catholic school.  We were close friends with the abused kids parents . 

I understand the desire to protect the Church, parochial school, Catholicism, and it's institutions.  Looking back, it became apparent how easy it is to justify things to avoid "greater" harm.  People were sick of hearing these stories, even as they were happening again. 

What is your point?

11 hours ago, Josh said:

I don't know what to tell you. I guess you're of the opinion don't speak about it because it makes the Church look bad. Like Anomaly said let's talk more about all the people going to hell for masturbation and missing Mass. 

I wouldn't bring it up EXCEPT this article and NEW information just got released. More Bishops hiding **** and keeping priests around who do this sick twisted ****. You're acting as if I'm bringing up old news. Not the case. And again a STRAIGHT MAN is not capable of molesting or or hooking up with boys. The minute he is he isn't straight.

This is not about making the Church look bad or not.  You are free to talk about it all you want. I just  do not see the value in it. 

As far as "all the people going to hell for masturbation and missing Mass", no one here can determine if someone is going to hell or not. 

PhuturePriest
6 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

...........and sincerely hope they will pray for us too................

Must admit, FP, that I cannot agree with all your concepts and perspectives in your most recent post.  Rather than The Mass and Sacraments, for example, being God bending over backwards to get us into Heaven - I regard them as God's Loving Longing for us to have a loving relationship with Him in Intimacy.

They are. But in the words of Father Vincent Serpa, OP, something like confession really is "God bending over backwards to save us." I don't see how the two are diametrically opposed. If God wants us to be saved, clearly he loves us and wants to have a relationship with us. Something like mortal sin stops that from happening, so he performs a supernatural feat and forgives us through confession. I see this as a both/and, not an either/or.

1 hour ago, Papist said:

What is your point?

I don't really think you've missed the point.  

BarbTherese
7 hours ago, PhuturePriest said:

They are. But in the words of Father Vincent Serpa, OP, something like confession really is "God bending over backwards to save us." I don't see how the two are diametrically opposed. If God wants us to be saved, clearly he loves us and wants to have a relationship with us. Something like mortal sin stops that from happening, so he performs a supernatural feat and forgives us through confession. I see this as a both/and, not an either/or.

I agree that we are both saying the same thing, we are just using different language or terminology and I could see that when I read your post.  I did not think at all that we were "diametrically opposed" nor stated such, it is your own concluding.  I thought we just have a different type of perspective and emphasis and using different language or concepts, perspectives, to say what is basically the very same thing. 

Another general comment in passing I would like to make (nor for the first time) is that those who are regular contributors on Phatmass are probably pretty much aware of other more regular contributors and attitudes etc.  We have no way of knowing however who reads these forums without membership or contributions either on a more or less regular basis or just in passing - and the influence/effect what we write may have on them.  Catholic Discussion sites could be said to be more or less an internet and very public indeed face of Catholicism. Some, indeed, might read a post or forum and then never return to read until after a long passage of time. This is a quite public place - and as I said before, this OpenMic Forum is introduced by: "talk about anything you like. Don't be afraid". 

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Like i was thinking even if the clergy was never defroked for this and i was lied to or the person was mistaken we really can not tolerate rape, molestation and murder amongst the ranks of the Holy priesthood, and even if defrocking and or ex communication is not a viable option they need to be locked up in cloistered orders permanently where they can do no further damage (unlike ordinary society where they may only get 5 years jail, we need to be a lot harder on the clergy due to holy scripture and it's warning to those who know more being more greatly punished if they fall), immediately when discovered, unfortunately one strike and your out for such serious offences when it comes to being a priest.

I could be wrong.

JEsus iz LORD!

BarbTherese

I agree that there should indeed be immediate very serious consequences right from any first criminal offence in the priesthood including reporting to police and full disclosure -  and it would be hoped that in priestly formation nowadays it would be made clear.  Our priests vow or promise lifelong celibacy and they know this ( I presume) when discerning for the priesthood prior to the seminary.  In the seminary one would hope and again especially nowadays that seminarians are instructed fully in what the vow or promise of celibacy is all about and what it entails fully and as a vow or promise to God.   We need transparency too so that out here 'in the pews' we can understand what the priestly vow of celibacy (for one) is all about in day to day life of a priest or religious.  The days of often secrecy about priest and religious formation and details of daily life ended with V2 thankfully - I would hope.  The Vatican has spoken on the matter re homosexuality and priesthood http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_20051104_istruzione_en.html

It is important too and not to be lost in discussions that we do have far more good and committed priests and religious than we do those that criminally offend and break their vow to God.  As Shakespeare has said ... sort of ... the evil done speaks louder than any good in the public forum.     ("The evil men do lives after them, the good is oft interred with their bones") 

No reason nor excuse to attempt to make less of the extremely serious scandals that have occurred within Catholicism - and no reason nor excuse to not search and journey for "never ever again" within Catholicism for one.

On 3/2/2016 2:16:01, enitharmon said:

These reflections on the movie Spotlight resonated with me, particularly this paragraph:

"Anyway, the most emotionally wrenching scene for me was the one where Rezendes is breaking down on the back porch of a newspaper colleague’s apartment. He’s finally seen the depths of the church’s depravity in Boston, and, as he puts it, “something cracked.” He says he was raised Catholic, and had drifted from the Church, but always thought he would return. Now, knowing what he knows, that path is closed, and it’s tearing him alive."

Thanks for telling me about this movie. Didn't even realize it was released a year ago. Out of coincidence (or maybe not) it is getting shown again in the theater by me. It wasn't last night but today it is. Just got done seeing it. Really eye opening and troubling. Wow.