Deus te Amat Posted August 25, 2016 Posted August 25, 2016 Hi friends! It's been ages, and many of you probably don't remember me, but that's okay. PM has been a part of my life since I was in high school and for some reason, nine years later, I keep coming back. Life has been pretty crazy lately. After college, I entered and left a convent, moved to Alaska for work, started dating my college sweetheart a second time, survived the loss of my mother, got engaged, quit my job, moved across the country, got another job, and will soon be getting married. This has been a lot to take in, and I won't lie by saying it's been a picnic. But I am breathing, surviving one day at a time. Something that has helped me a lot has been running. When I left Alaska, I started doing a couch to 5k program with the encouragement of my fiancé, but shortly after, I broke my toe and had to put it on hold for a few months. Last week I was finally able to finish the 8 week program and today I ran 3.1 miles in 29:21. I am writing this because, selfishly, I want running buddies. I haven't met a ton of people in my new location yet, and I miss my friends and PhatMass family. I'd like to encourage all you non-runners to try to do a couch to 5k program while the fall weather is so lovely (an online version can be found here.) And for you runners out there, hello and please stop by and say hi. DtA _________________________ tl;dr Hi - life is hard. Try running. God is good.
Lil'Monster Posted August 26, 2016 Posted August 26, 2016 Hey, I remember you!! Life is full of crazy adventures that's for sure. I'm not much of a runner, but does pushing shopping carts up a steep hill count?
truthfinder Posted August 26, 2016 Posted August 26, 2016 DtA and Lil'mon! DtA I think I remember about when you would have left for the convent. and Lil'mon, it's been a while I think?
Lil'Monster Posted August 26, 2016 Posted August 26, 2016 (edited) 5 minutes ago, truthfinder said: DtA and Lil'mon! DtA I think I remember about when you would have left for the convent. and Lil'mon, it's been a while I think? It sure has! I've been busy with work and taking care of my animals. What's up? Edited August 26, 2016 by Lil'Monster
truthfinder Posted August 26, 2016 Posted August 26, 2016 31 minutes ago, Lil'Monster said: It sure has! I've been busy with work and taking care of my animals. What's up? I'm still in school - who knows when I'll ever leave.
Luigi Posted August 26, 2016 Posted August 26, 2016 The Return of the Prodigal Daughters - Deus Te Amat, Emily Ann, Lil'Monster, and Little Red (only one post recently, but after a long dry spell). Hail! Hail! The gang's all here! Who'll be next - Madame Vangier?
truthfinder Posted August 26, 2016 Posted August 26, 2016 30 minutes ago, Luigi said: The Return of the Prodigal Daughters - Deus Te Amat, Emily Ann, Lil'Monster, and Little Red (only one post recently, but after a long dry spell). Hail! Hail! The gang's all here! Who'll be next - Madame Vangier? I think we need Hasan first
LittleWaySoul Posted August 27, 2016 Posted August 27, 2016 The gang's getting back together! Also, I've been trying to work out more lately. I might try this as school starts and the weather gets nicer.
Deus te Amat Posted August 27, 2016 Author Posted August 27, 2016 20 minutes ago, LittleWaySoul said: The gang's getting back together! Also, I've been trying to work out more lately. I might try this as school starts and the weather gets nicer. Yes! The first few weeks are pretty easy and then you'll reach a hard spell that, if you push through, you'll feel so accomplished for completing! All it really takes is a half hour or so a day. As motivation, I've been buying vitamin water with electrolytes and I only let myself drink one after a run. It actually does make me want to run when I'm feeling particularly lazy. I'm writing this post as I'm procrastinating my saturday morning run. Oops? I'll let you all know how it goes?
Deus te Amat Posted August 28, 2016 Author Posted August 28, 2016 11 hours ago, LittleWaySoul said: I did my first day today! Yay! how did it feel? I'm super excited for you! Yesterday I ran 3.12 miles in 29:18. The last mile hurt.
LittleWaySoul Posted August 29, 2016 Posted August 29, 2016 (edited) 8 hours ago, Deus te Amat said: Yay! how did it feel? I'm super excited for you! Yesterday I ran 3.12 miles in 29:18. The last mile hurt. The running itself wasn't too bad! It was an extremely hot day though, and the track I ran on had very little shade. Luckily I wasn't burnt, but next time I might want to invest in some sunscreen. Either that or run earlier in the morning. I appreciated the small intervals; the running was bearable because I knew it was short. I'm using the mobile app, which is really nice because it tells you when to start and stop. I think I might try to go again tomorrow. I have class at 8:30, so if I get up at 7 and do C25K for ~30 minutes, I can get back home and shower before heading off to class. Hopefully it'll be cooler at 7am than it was at 11am, hah. Great job!!! Hopefully I can get to that point. It'd be a great accomplishment for me to be able to run 3 miles in 30 minutes! Edited August 29, 2016 by LittleWaySoul
Deus te Amat Posted August 29, 2016 Author Posted August 29, 2016 52 minutes ago, LittleWaySoul said: The running itself wasn't too bad! It was an extremely hot day though, and the track I ran on had very little shade. Luckily I wasn't burnt, but next time I might want to invest in some sunscreen. Either that or run earlier in the morning. I appreciated the small intervals; the running was bearable because I knew it was short. I'm using the mobile app, which is really nice because it tells you when to start and stop. I think I might try to go again tomorrow. I have class at 8:30, so if I get up at 7 and do C25K for ~30 minutes, I can get back home and shower before heading off to class. Hopefully it'll be cooler at 7am than it was at 11am, hah. Great job!!! Hopefully I can get to that point. It'd be a great accomplishment for me to be able to run 3 miles in 30 minutes! Running when it's cooler or not humid is definitely much easier. I find it most difficult to run in humidity - I feel like I can't breathe. Hopefully running earlier in the day will help. I'm excited for fall particularly for the cooler morning and evening temperatures. I should've started posting on here when I was in the middle of the C25K. It was just a few weeks ago when running five minutes straight was an impossible milestone. I definitely don't take running for 30 minutes for granted, and it's something I'm still working on improving on. I definitely think you should keep posting your progress on here. It's so inspiring what you can do with a little time and a little perseverence!
Deus te Amat Posted August 29, 2016 Author Posted August 29, 2016 I didn't run today. I was lazy. @LittleWaySoul, did you get out there this morning?
Maximilianus Posted August 29, 2016 Posted August 29, 2016 That's how it begins, you miss one day, than two days, then 2 weeks, then 2 months, then 2 years.
Deus te Amat Posted August 30, 2016 Author Posted August 30, 2016 1 hour ago, Maximilianus said: That's how it begins, you miss one day, than two days, then 2 weeks, then 2 months, then 2 years. I've been running tues/thurs/sat. I was thinking about running four days this week -- but I'm not late yet!
LittleWaySoul Posted August 30, 2016 Posted August 30, 2016 I did run today!! And I realized it'd probably be better to run T/R/S as well because my first class isn't until 1pm on T/R. Silly me, no need to make mornings more hectic than they are before an 8:30am class! So now I'm going to wait until Thursday (to give my body a break) and I'll continue my routine then.
Papist Posted August 30, 2016 Posted August 30, 2016 Getting married. How exciting. I run 4 days a week. Wake up 4:25am to get to gym at 5am. Then arrive at work around 6:30am. I can't run outdoors. If I run outdoors, I get cardio induced asthma. I definitely do no run b/c I like it. Do it b/c it is good for me.
EmilyAnn Posted August 30, 2016 Posted August 30, 2016 Hi, I remember you! I've also just returned to Phatmass I think I might remember you entering the convent. Sounds like you've been up to a lot! Congrats on getting engaged - and I think it's so cute that you got together with your college sweetheart but I am biased because after nearly joining a convent I got together with my high school sweetheart so obviously similar stories make me happy! I've actually been thinking of starting running or something...I just lost my job so I'm a little bit down atm but I've been trying to lose weight and having something to do would be good for me (I get bored easily). How did you get started?
Deus te Amat Posted August 31, 2016 Author Posted August 31, 2016 Yesterday I ran two miles in 18 minutes. The pace was too much for me to do the third. I pushed too hard. Today I'm going to slow it down and see how far I can go. Wish me luck. I'll respond to the rest of you peeps when I get back.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now