Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dta's thoughts of randomness... and running


Recommended Posts

LittleWaySoul
Posted

YAY!  I took your advice DTA and made a concerted effort to go excruciatingly slow and I made it through the entire run today! Even sprinted the last minute and it felt great! It felt like I was flying at that point after going so slow. No cramps whatsoever and a mile pace of about 12 minutes. Not bad since that's what I was averaging on previous days anyway. I think I was just going at a more consistent speed today today. 

On to week 8!!

Posted

Yay! Do the same at that speed a couple more times and you'll be able to pick it back up and still feel comfortable. 

Posted

I can't wait to get back home so I can start running. Not to mention sleeping like a normal human being. 

It doesn't help that I have spent way too much time playing video games.

LittleWaySoul
Posted
4 hours ago, Amppax said:

I can't wait to get back home so I can start running. Not to mention sleeping like a normal human being. 

It doesn't help that I have spent way too much time playing video games.

Not to detail the thread, but what games do you like?

Posted
11 hours ago, LittleWaySoul said:

Not to detail the thread, but what games do you like?

I play several different games on Steam, recently I've been into Paladins, which most would describe as an Overwatch knock off. 

LittleWaySoul
Posted
5 hours ago, Amppax said:

I play several different games on Steam, recently I've been into Paladins, which most would describe as an Overwatch knock off. 

Nice. My computer can't support a ton of steam games but if I ever get some free time I might check that out!

Posted
3 hours ago, LittleWaySoul said:

Nice. My computer can't support a ton of steam games but if I ever get some free time I might check that out!

It's not too intensive. And free, so yeah. That's always a plus. I'm running it on a 5 year old laptop. 

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Okay. I ran on Thursday (C25K week 1) and will run again today. Much pain, very sweat. I've been trying to make sure I stretch before and after too, because I've noticed some unusual muscle pain, which may just be from the running, but feels like strained muscles. This is what happens when you don't work out and get old. :/

LittleWaySoul
Posted
On 10/29/2016 at 1:26 PM, Amppax said:

Okay. I ran on Thursday (C25K week 1) and will run again today. Much pain, very sweat. I've been trying to make sure I stretch before and after too, because I've noticed some unusual muscle pain, which may just be from the running, but feels like strained muscles. This is what happens when you don't work out and get old. :/

Yeah I need to be better at stretching too. Keep it up! :)

I ran yesterday and for some reason it was really hard. I guess it was just an off day or something. The 5K is next Saturday! Woo!

Spem in alium
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the C25K recommendation. I started last week, and finished week 1 today. Trying to find a good time/place to run. I like to walk for exercise and relaxation, love doing so in deserted places, and sometimes when I'm walking I come across people I know (some of whom have not taken well to the fact that "a nun is wearing pantaloons"). I'm sooo not a runner and so am very sweaty and red, with some muscle soreness, but I felt good! On to week 2.

Edited by Spem in alium
LittleWaySoul
Posted
19 hours ago, Spem in alium said:

Thanks for the C25K recommendation. I started last week, and finished week 1 today. Trying to find a good time/place to run. I like to walk for exercise and relaxation, love doing so in deserted places, and sometimes when I'm walking I come across people I know (some of whom have not taken well to the fact that "a nun is wearing pantaloons"). I'm sooo not a runner and so am very sweaty and red, with some muscle soreness, but I felt good! On to week 2.

Yesss we're doing it! #C25KPham2016

Spem in alium
Posted

Yay! How long will it take to not feel like you're dying when you run? I guess it depends on the person. I just did Week 2, day 1 today - I felt good running for the first couple of 90 seconds, but in the middle part I was soooo tired and mentally wanting to stop -- and then at the end I had this random energy and excitement (maybe endorphins?). Plus I accidentally found a strip of land behind the park which looks like a good running place (no one else there).

LittleWaySoul
Posted
59 minutes ago, Spem in alium said:

Yay! How long will it take to not feel like you're dying when you run? I guess it depends on the person. I just did Week 2, day 1 today - I felt good running for the first couple of 90 seconds, but in the middle part I was soooo tired and mentally wanting to stop -- and then at the end I had this random energy and excitement (maybe endorphins?). Plus I accidentally found a strip of land behind the park which looks like a good running place (no one else there).

Hmm. It depends on the day/week. I'd say that week 7 was really hard and I think week 4 as well. But other weeks it would typically be more like Day 1: hard, Day 2: eh, Day 3: feels good. And I still have some off days where I randomly feel pretty bad despite the length/pace.

But now for the most part (as long as I don't go crazy with my pace) it's fairly enjoyable and I've actually started to be able to think about other things while I run, just like driving. It's always nice when I realize I've been thinking of my life or my laundry or my homework instead of how much I want to stop running. :hehe: 

Today was the first day in about 10 weeks that I didn't run on my usual days (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday). I feel bad because I don't want to lose this habit and want to keep getting better at running! But the semester has been getting rough lately and I'm pretty stressed.

My 5K is this Saturday and my dad and mom are driving here to support me!! Dad's gonna run with me! I'm pretty excited- it'll be fun and hopefully motivate me to keep it up! I've got my eye on another 5K I've always wanted to run back in my hometown over Christmas break. 

Spem in alium
Posted
11 minutes ago, LittleWaySoul said:

Hmm. It depends on the day/week. I'd say that week 7 was really hard and I think week 4 as well. But other weeks it would typically be more like Day 1: hard, Day 2: eh, Day 3: feels good. And I still have some off days where I randomly feel pretty bad despite the length/pace.

But now for the most part (as long as I don't go crazy with my pace) it's fairly enjoyable and I've actually started to be able to think about other things while I run, just like driving. It's always nice when I realize I've been thinking of my life or my laundry or my homework instead of how much I want to stop running. :hehe: 

Today was the first day in about 10 weeks that I didn't run on my usual days (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday). I feel bad because I don't want to lose this habit and want to keep getting better at running! But the semester has been getting rough lately and I'm pretty stressed.

My 5K is this Saturday and my dad and mom are driving here to support me!! Dad's gonna run with me! I'm pretty excited- it'll be fun and hopefully motivate me to keep it up! I've got my eye on another 5K I've always wanted to run back in my hometown over Christmas break. 

I guess because it was Day 1 today it was more tiring (because I was pushing myself a bit more and running longer lengths). I'm actually looking forward to running again (because of how it makes me feel, mostly; also just being out in nature is the best). Hoping the stress eases for you soon. And best of luck with your 5K! That's a super achievement!

Spem in alium
Posted

I just started Week 3! It was significantly easier for me to run, though running the three minutes seemed reeeally long at first (quite possibly because I was running at the speed of a snail). I pushed myself not to check the time (as in how much longer I had left) and to actually focus on what was around me, like trees and birds and other people. Sometimes I wasn't even thinking of how much I wanted to stop running!

LittleWaySoul
Posted
On 11/8/2016 at 4:46 AM, Spem in alium said:

@LittleWaySoul, how was your 5k?!

It went well!! I think I made it in ~38 minutes. I'm struggling to motivate myself to keep running though. I'm working on it!

Posted

Well yesterday I went and voted, and then went for a run to clear my mind. Definitely helped.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

I've kind of fallen off the wagon recently. Ran last Tues/Thurs but missed my 3rd run. The week before I only ran once. Doesn't help that it's been grey and nasty, it is so much easier to run in nice weather. :(

LittleWaySoul
Posted

I started running again last Thursday. It was hard to start again but since I did, motivation has been easier. It's really helpful to my mental, spiritual, physical, and emotional health so I have a lot of incentive to continue. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...